14 day Caribbean cruise in November and hurricane season.

lefty duck

I have just booked a 14 day cruise on the Ruby princess leaving November sixth I hadn’t taken into account that it is still hurricane season 😳 I am wondering if anyone has done this route previous years and how bad things got. I’m a little concerned about it, and wondering if I should cancel. I know you can never predict the weather, but it would be nice to have some feedback to help me decide.
thanks in advance .

Technically you are still 'in season' as your research will have told you 

In practical terms and IMHO you will be unlucky to get a genuine TRS so late on. Could be a couple of blows but hey ho that is life at sea. 

Look at the repositioning threads on CC .. question has been asked numerous times.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lefty duck said:

I have just booked a 14 day cruise on the Ruby princess leaving November sixth I hadn’t taken into account that it is still hurricane season 😳 I am wondering if anyone has done this route previous years and how bad things got. I’m a little concerned about it, and wondering if I should cancel. I know you can never predict the weather, but it would be nice to have some feedback to help me decide.

I did a 14-day cruise on the Carnival Freedom in 2019 out of Galveston that went from Galveston deep into the Western Caribbean to the Panama Canal from the end of October until mid-November.  We didn't have any weather issues at all on that cruise, except for an all-day soaker in one of our ports.  Obviously, it's still hurricane season and I was concerned about it, until it was obvious we weren't going to have one bother us on our cruise.  BTW, the hurricane risk is higher in the Western Caribbean at that point in the calendar than the Eastern Caribbean you're going to be spending most of your time in.

My advice is if you're going to worry yourself silly about hurricanes in the area, you should cancel now.  Nobody can assure you that they won't happen in that area at that time of year.  The odds are with you however, and Princess will do everything they can to keep you safe and comfortable if the worst happens.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2

The fact is, very few areas are impacted by hurricanes. Those that are are avoided by cruise ships.  Sure, there is always a chance that your itinerary might be changed (sometimes for the better) because of heavy weather — but that can happen any time of the year.  If you are really determined to see a particular port which happens to be in the Caribbean, you probably should try before June,  if physical safety is what you are primarily concerned about, maybe you should stay home.

• Like 1

Fall -- specifically the months of September, October and November -- is our favorite time to sail; in fact, it's pretty much the only time we sail.  That makes me kinda sad right now in spring, but that's not the point.  

Anyway, I've sailed many times in fall, and I've never had a problem with hurricanes.  Of course, that's not a promise that you (or I) won't have problems next fall, but it's just not all that likely. 

• Like 2

We cruise Caribbean in end of November for last 20 years or so, cruise companies will alter ships route to avoid hurricanes if needed, never had issue on our cruises but some of the islands had severe damage from earlier hurricanes.

• Like 2