Carnival Vista Altun Ha Mayan Ruins & Lunch Excursion

Sailor00000

I will be traveling with my four year old. Have anyone been on this excursion? I am concerned about my 4 year old traveling without a car seat. Can anybody tell me about this excursion and set up? Thanks.  I haven’t sailed since before child.

2 hours ago, Sailor00000 said:

I will be traveling with my four year old. Have anyone been on this excursion? I am concerned about my 4 year old traveling without a car seat. Can anybody tell me about this excursion and set up? Thanks.  I haven’t sailed since before child.

It will be on a shuttle of some type with no seat belts.  You are right to be concerned.  Traffic is a game of chicken on the local roads

• Like 2

Alot of countries don't have the same car seat laws as we have in the US. And alot of times on buses situations you would have have a connection for a car seat, even in the US. However, We travel with a foldable booster seat when we can't bring my nieces car seat. It works really well and folds down flat for easy storage. They sale them for sure at Amazon and target. 

Edited by starstruck05

1 minute ago, starstruck05 said:

Alot of countries don't have the same car seat laws as we have in the US. And alot of times on buses situations you would have have a connection for a car seat, even in the US. However, We travel with a foldable booster seat when we can't bring my nieces car seat. It works really well and folds down flat for easy storage. They sale them for sure at Amazon and target. 

Would you mind sharing the one you use? Thank you for the idea.

1 hour ago, starstruck05 said:

Most of the excursion vehicles don't have seatbelts.    

• Like 1

We did this - it was a coach like bus. 
Save your money IMHO - it’s a waste of time to see a civilization who killed their strongest and basically eliminated themselves. But if you still go it’s a good hour or more of a ride and the guides will take you on the ruins and talk to you about the great Canadian philanthropist who bankrolled the excavation and preservation. 

6 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

We did this - it was a coach like bus. 
Save your money IMHO - it’s a waste of time to see a civilization who killed their strongest and basically eliminated themselves. But if you still go it’s a good hour or more of a ride and the guides will take you on the ruins and talk to you about the great Canadian philanthropist who bankrolled the excavation and preservation. 

I disagree.  I went in 2012 plus the boat  ride down the River Wallace.  The ruins were beautiful and our guides were very knowledgeable, nothing about a philanthropist but plenty of fascinating stuff about the Mayans and the 2012 Calendar  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

To be honest, I am not sure a child of that age is going to enjoy that type of excursion. It is a long hot ride to a sight that he will likely not find the least bit interesting. 

And kinda dangerous for a tot to be trying to climb.  The Mayans didn't put in hand rails

2012 Cruise Belize (27).jpg

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

To be honest, I am not sure a child of that age is going to enjoy that type of excursion. It is a long hot ride to a sight that he will likely not find the least bit interesting. 

Well he has to do something that his 70ish year old grandparents want to do. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

16 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

And kinda dangerous for a tot to be trying to climb.  The Mayans didn't put in hand rails

2012 Cruise Belize (27).jpg

I have visited the ruins before. However, my parents have not. My child is an excellent climber, but would never be put in harms way. Look like you had a great trip.☺️

I visited my first Mayan ruins at age eight.  I can only remember that I was very hot, and I learned the name of the place, and I could hardly wait until I got out of the sun to drink a Fanta soda.  Looking back I definitely needed sunglasses!  My younger brother was four, and he remembers NADA. 

We visited Mayan ruins again about five years later and we all had a fantastic time!  We were old enough to climb everything and understand some of the history.  I actually studied archaeology in the university.  I travel to visit ruins all over the world now almost every other year!  Yes, stamina is needed as well as heat/humidity tolerance.

Of course, Altun Ha is a minor Mayan site.  Some of the more impressive places to visit are Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Tikal, Ek Balam, and so forth.  Teotihuacan (not Mayan) is a wonderful ruin, as is the Inca site of Machu Picchu.

Why bother making a young child do something that has no meaning to him/her?  

It will be tiring and exhausting, and I agree, roads, drivers and traffic law are a bit crazy south of the border.

Just spend the day at the pool or go to a nearby beach--your child will have a much more enjoyable day!

And for the person (Stick93) who knows NOTHING about the history of Latin American cultures, please do not bother to share such a silly statement because it only makes YOU look bad, not the Maya.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sailor00000 said:

I have visited the ruins before. However, my parents have not. My child is an excellent climber, but would never be put in harms way. Look like you had a great trip.☺️

We did but most of us went up the stairs and down the steps on our butts.  Those not in great health were advised to stay on the grounds.