Comedy Questions

Lee Cruiser

My wife and I like the PG Comedy shows.  One of the things that we really liked about Mardi Gras was the abundance of comedy shows.  There were more PG shows than any other ship and over 50 total shows during the week.

Two questions about comedy:

1.  For those who have cruised on Celebration:  Is the amount of comedy on Celebration similar to that on Mardi Gras?

2.  For those who have cruised other lines:  Do other cruise lines have both PG shows and R-rated shows, or just R-rated shows?

We were on Celebration a few weeks ago, there were numerous comedy shows, both pg and R. Some of them were duplicate, but there were so many we did not see them all.

9 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

My wife and I like the PG Comedy shows.  One of the things that we really liked about Mardi Gras was the abundance of comedy shows.  There were more PG shows than any other ship and over 50 total shows during the week.

1.  For those who have cruised on Celebration:  Is the amount of comedy on Celebration similar to that on Mardi Gras?

2.  For those who have cruised other lines:  Do other cruise lines have both PG shows and R-rated shows, or just R-rated shows?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Celebrity has both PG and R rated comedy shows, but not nearly as many as Carnival.

4 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Celebrity has both PG and R rated comedy shows, but not nearly as many as Carnival.

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Nobody does comedy like Carnival.

Celebrity's "R" rated comedy shows are fairly tame by my standards and not as wild/raunchy/outrageous as Carnival's.  In fact, some of Celebrity's "R" rated shows might be comparable to Carnival's PG.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, evandbob said:

Celebrity's "R" rated comedy shows are fairly tame by my standards and not as wild/raunchy/outrageous as Carnival's.  In fact, some of Celebrity's "R" rated shows might be comparable to Carnival's PG.

Good point. I prefer Celebrity's version - just wish there were more shows. 

16 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I was recently on the Ruby Princess. The comedian had a total of four shows on our cruise, all in the main theater. One day had both PG shows and the other day had both R rated shows.

Nobody does comedy like Carnival.  No other line swaps out comedians during the course of the cruise to provide additional entertainers.

Princess and Celebrity usually have a single comedian doing both PG and R shows.  MSC has zero comedians because they are internationally skewed and it just wouldn't go over as well.  Royal usually has a single comedian on board and two on their Oasis ships doing both PG and R rated shows.  NCL usually has two comedians on board, doing more shows than all of their competitors, but nowhere close to the number of shows on Carnival, especially the Excel Class.

As a final note, don't miss the updated version of Quest, it's even better than pre-Covid.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2023 at 2:37 PM, Jamman54 said:

Just off the Celebration this morning. We had five different comedians with numerous PG & 18+ shows. :classic_cool:

Jamman54......love all your reviews of the ships. We are going on Celebration May 7th and am waiting for your input on this new ship:) We usually cruise the older Carnival ships but decided to try a brand spanking new one.

25 minutes ago, 2xsin12mths said:

Jamman54......love all your reviews of the ships. We are going on Celebration May 7th and am waiting for your input on this new ship:) We usually cruise the older Carnival ships but decided to try a brand spanking new one.

We are still vacationing in Florida so the review won't get started until next week,  but if you  have any specific questions I'll be happy to help. 😎

On 4/23/2023 at 1:14 PM, Lee Cruiser said:

I found it was less than what they had on Mardi Gras in 2022. On Mardi Gras in 2022 we had six comedians and different shows on the same day. I think to accommodate more people they have switched to five comedians with one PG show and one adult show that repeat four times per day on celebration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I found it was less than what they had on Mardi Gras in 2022. On Mardi Gras in 2022 we had six comedians and different shows on the same day. I think to accommodate more people they have switched to five comedians with one PG show and one adult show that repeat four times per day on celebration.

Bummer.  But that's still more than on other ships.

23 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

They also have the late night showcase which I think is two comedians 15 Mins each. But I know there are some comedians that have 3-4 adult shows and aren’t getting them all in on excel class because they get 1 or 2 shows in the punchliner and 1 or 2 of the 15 minute shows.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

but yeah on Mardi Gras I only went to 1 PG show the entire cruise because there would be different adult shows in the punchliner. On celebration I went to a pg show every day because you just have one adult show that repeats.

• Like 1