Oversold Cruises.

Pushka

I see this is an old topic, but I just received a moveover offer for a river cruise.  (I know this is a ocean forum, but there is no equivalent for the river cruises.)  

From what I am reading on this thread, it sounds like they customize the offers for different people.  Our offer was for the same cruise (Bordeaux) in 2024 or 2025 (remainder of 2024 is already sold out).  

Some of the fine print seemed limiting, it seems hard to decide on these things so quickly!  

It is interesting for sure that overbookings occur.  I guess a certain percentage of passengers cancel at the last minute?  

7 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

It’s not just old people. We canceled a cruise when our tonnage daughter broke her leg the night before our cruise. She crossed a street and fell into a hole. 

*teenage?

21 hours ago, Redtravel said:

It’s not just old people. We canceled a cruise when our tonnage daughter broke her leg the night before our cruise. She crossed a street and fell into a hole. 

#TravelInsurance

On 4/25/2023 at 11:16 AM, Jim Avery said:

...but paying someone a full refund then giving them a free cruise seems to be a minus two not even counting any other perks.  

In our case, they didn't give us a full refund, but we went from a 5-day Caribbean cruise to an 11-day + $1500 + an upgrade from DV to Penthouse Junior. So essentially, they gave us more than double what we paid for.

The downside in our case was that our original cruise was in February 2020; the day before, we accepted the move-over offer, so we were supposed to go that winter. Then COVID.

So our cruise was canceled; when I called to find out about rescheduling, I was told that the same offer was now gone, and that all we would get is the money we had originally spent. 

After more than an hour on the phone, with about 5 different people, an agent suggested I write to the move-over department and plead my case--which I did. We were given our upgrade offer and went on the 11-day cruise once things opened back.

I was half expecting an offer on our recent BIE cruise because it was sold out, but we never received one, and would have declined it anyway because we would already have been in London for 5 days.

17 hours ago, Mike07 said:

#TravelInsurance

I believe this discussion is about why Viking oversells cruises. Whether or not the guest has trip insurance is not at all pertinent.

I think it is illegal, or should be to oversell any travel that involves you paying in full for a specific cabin months in advance.  It would be illegal if you did this for a house or a car.

• Like 4