Any one on Arcadia now

cruzadict

I have just been reading the post about cleanliness on Arcadia.  We board her for the fjords cruise on 2nd May and was wondering if anyone on board at the moment can give any insight as to what things are like onboard.  We have been looking forward to this cruise for the last 3 years but all the negative comments about Arcadia are starting to spoil the enthusiasm. Thanks very much

On board now, no issues with cleanliness, just the usual little bits of wear and tear that you would expect, we are happy to come again.

Yesterday a number? of Covid cases are reported so we are back to wearing masks. No big surprise as there is no social distancing, very little evidence of people using the hand gel dispensers and likewise don't see many people using the wash stations at the buffet. We have to learn to live with this.

2 minutes ago, Cynthia Darch said:

Sadly just had a text from a friend who is on board right now and has said how awful the food offer is and how dirty the ship is. This not good.

Really subjective to personal tastes and opinions, we have spoken with plenty who like the ship and others who would prefer a newer ship with more to do.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

On board now, no issues with cleanliness, just the usual little bits of wear and tear that you would expect, we are happy to come again.

Yesterday a number? of Covid cases are reported so we are back to wearing masks. No big surprise as there is no social distancing, very little evidence of people using the hand gel dispensers and likewise don't see many people using the wash stations at the buffet. We have to learn to live with this.

Other lines we have been on have had staff at the entrance to eating areas (buffet,mdr etc) with hand gel and we have no problem with that as we don't want our holiday spoilt by people who either cant be bothered or think it doesn't apply to them, it wont stop all infections but it certainly makes a big difference

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Masks? Oh dear. I thought that we’d seen the end of that.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Masks? Oh dear. I thought that we’d seen the end of that.

Yes not convinced on the point myself when governments say get on with it. For example we are in Alicante in 2 days, the Spanish government has no requirement for mask wearing on public transport now but P&O will have on the coaches, so who is correct? Are we to get on with it or not?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Other lines we have been on have had staff at the entrance to eating areas (buffet,mdr etc) with hand gel and we have no problem with that as we don't want our holiday spoilt by people who either cant be bothered or think it doesn't apply to them, it wont stop all infections but it certainly makes a big difference

First couple of days on this cruise staff were evident enforcing washing, even to walk through the buffet without stopping you needed to wash, now I see even staff just cruising through, of course that might have changed today again, not been up there yet.

Yesterday when we got back from a tour the announcement was - advised to, this morning in our brief outing to breakfast every passenger we saw had a mask on, one crew member did not, hopefully P&O will fall in line with government advice.

In my first post on the other Arcadia thread I mentioned our arrival at the Southampton terminal being herded into a hall full of people, many of us left a seat space between the next family group and were all told to move up to use the spaces, so no social distancing, so I don't understand this move. 

• Like 1

You do wonder at the P&O masking policy. Covid is here to stay, and obviously cases will be found on cruise ships.

Other cruise lines do not feel the need to go through the rigmarole of mask wearing  - why does P&O? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You do wonder at the P&O masking policy. Covid is here to stay, and obviously cases will be found on cruise ships.

Other cruise lines do not feel the need to go through the rigmarole of mask wearing  - why does P&O? 

Almost certainly legal advice. 

• Like 1

People keep on about hand washing but this is not how Covid is passed.  It is airborne.  There have been many articles saying this.  Handwashing, however, is necessary to prevent norovirus which is passed this way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wowzz said:

So why do other cruise lines have different guide lines? 

Which cruises lines are we discussing here? Fred definitely moved to masks in January, reports on Cunard indicate they also do so when necessary.  What other policies are in place elsewhere? Remember we do have this new variant spreading quite quickly, I'm surprised how many I know have had it recently round here.

34 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So why do other cruise lines have different guide lines? 

Different lawyers. It’s a classic grey area of the law, particularly as even the medics can’t agree and the research findings are constantly shifting. Even surface transmission is back on the agenda now, and that looked to have been kicked into touch.

36 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

People keep on about hand washing but this is not how Covid is passed.  It is airborne.  There have been many articles saying this.  Handwashing, however, is necessary to prevent norovirus which is passed this way.

Agreed, can’t believe that after 3 years this still needs to be said.

if people want to reduce their risk of catching Covid, the things to do are distancing, keeping to well ventilated areas and masking. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cynthia Darch said:

Sadly just had a text from a friend who is on board right now and has said how awful the food offer is and how dirty the ship is. This not good.

On board disagree strongly with your friend ship is clean food OK. Apple cores and half finished food plates left on open decks is due to the odd guest who can't be bothered to dispose of it approiately 

• Like 3

We have carried on wearing masks when on the bus,5 minutes on a packed bus with people coughing & sneezing all over you makes it seem a wonderful idea.

Our last cruise saw little Oriental ladies at the entrances to the buffet shouting "washie,washie" with such vigour you wouldn't dare not wash your hands!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, snaefell said:

We have carried on wearing masks when on the bus,5 minutes on a packed bus with people coughing & sneezing all over you makes it seem a wonderful idea.

Although, it would be better if the sneezers were the ones wearing masks, not you !

• Like 1

Hi, we are on Arcadia now. We also had misgivings because of all the negative comments but I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised, and relieved, that we have found it absolutely fine. 

The food in the main dining room is good, we have also dined in the Ocean Grill which was very enjoyable.  We have tried room service and eaten frequently in the Belvedere, again, no complaints. We just choose what we want to eat and where. 

I can only comment on our cabin and the public areas that we have been to but no issues regarding cleanliness. 

Enjoy your cruise around the Fjords.

• Like 17

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Which cruises lines are we discussing here? Fred definitely moved to masks in January, reports on Cunard indicate they also do so when necessary.  What other policies are in place elsewhere? Remember we do have this new variant spreading quite quickly, I'm surprised how many I know have had it recently round here.

We have friends on HAL and they have been asked to wear masks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lancs duo said:

Hi, we are on Arcadia now. We also had misgivings because of all the negative comments but I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised, and relieved, that we have found it absolutely fine. 

The food in the main dining room is good, we have also dined in the Ocean Grill which was very enjoyable.  We have tried room service and eaten frequently in the Belvedere, again, no complaints. We just choose what we want to eat and where. 

I can only comment on our cabin and the public areas that we have been to but no issues regarding cleanliness. 

Enjoy your cruise around the Fjords.

Perfectly  summarised 

• Thanks 1