Is Princess going in a new direction for production shows?

Guest ldtr

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I am with you..definitely not the 'younger' crowd and the Enchanted shows are my favorites. I  have never seen Secret Silk but I have read it might be on Royal, which I am sailing next month. I will definitely check it out. 

I saw it on the Royal last week. 

24 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Rule of thumb.. people in their 60's will identify with 70's music. Those in their 50's will identify with 80's music. 

How old am I? I like classical, jazz, blues, and rock. Just not heavy metal, swing, or hip hop

New favs: Porter Robinson and Rafa (2023 Coachella)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Not people we know! 60's are the 80's

They'd be an exception to the rule. After about 2000 odd gigs as a DJ.. I've got a bit of a hang of it haha. The rule of thumb we worked on when doing 40th birthdays, 50th birthdays etc. was to work out what year the person was 15. Play music from 5 years either side.. usually hit the crowd right. Not foolproof.. but rather effective. So a 65 year old was born in 1957. They were 15 in 1972. That was their high-school years.. when pop music etc takes on new importance haha. You'd hit them with music from late 60's to mid-late 70's. The average person in their 60's will be into 70's music. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

How old am I? I like classical, jazz, blues, and current rock. Just not techno-rock 

No idea lol. Just remember.. it's a rule of thumb only. Used for picking a mid-point for a crowd. I listen to everything from 50's blues to 2000's house music and you won't pick my age either. haha.

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2023 at 1:38 PM, pompeii said:

I can tell you from first-hand experience on the Enchanted recently that the production shows did not reflect any cost cutting.  Quite the opposite in fact; they represented quite an investment in terms of the sets, costumes, lighting, sound, and tech in general.  Spotlight Bar, 5-Skies, and Rock Opera were quite impressive.  I know these are not on all Princess ships, but it was great to see some very fresh shows and very impressive talent.

I was on the Diamond Princess and very much enjoyed “Encore”. The cast did a magnificent job….but what happened to the “guest soprano” that would also do a solo performance?

I was looking forward to seeing Secret Silk.  First show had technical difficulties and was never presented on another evening.   That’s only half the story….short version, I had to find out on my own and told about 50 other passengers that were going in … that hadn’t heard.

3 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

In their 50's lol.. but yeah.. you're right that the 80's are NOT pitched at a younger crowd haha. 

Actually the 80s are enjoying a resurgence in popularity amongst the younger generations. And it's not just the music, 80s fashion and beauty trends are also making a comeback. 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

They'd be an exception to the rule. After about 2000 odd gigs as a DJ.. I've got a bit of a hang of it haha. The rule of thumb we worked on when doing 40th birthdays, 50th birthdays etc. was to work out what year the person was 15. Play music from 5 years either side.. usually hit the crowd right. Not foolproof.. but rather effective. So a 65 year old was born in 1957. They were 15 in 1972. That was their high-school years.. when pop music etc takes on new importance haha. You'd hit them with music from late 60's to mid-late 70's. The average person in their 60's will be into 70's music. 

I've done a couple of 80s themed cruises on Princess and a couple of dedicated 80s charter cruises, not on Princess.  The majority of the passengers on the charters I estimate were between 45 and 65.  And there was a distinct group of passengers on the Princess cruises in that age range.  The Kiwi seems to speak the truth.  

And now back to our previous discussion...

• Like 2