If you like Infinite balconies, why?

AliceS

On 4/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, cruise47 said:

How do European Celebrity cruisers feel about the Infinite Balconies, since all the E Class ships are headed to Europe for the 2023 season?

We will either book suites, SV or another cruise line. Having seen an IV no chance I’ll sail in one. I use my balcony every morning while DH is asleep & I then don’t disturb him. In the late afternoon I sit on there with 🍷

We just need to find an alternative line that suits us as well as X. 

Thibk if X had a mix of traditional & IV then people would have had a real choice. Now they don’t. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, cruise47 said:

How do European Celebrity cruisers feel about the Infinite Balconies, since all the E Class ships are headed to Europe for the 2023 season?

Well fortunately, a lot of M and S class ships are also in Europe this season.

8 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Thibk if X had a mix of traditional & IV then people would have had a real choice. Now they don’t. 

There is. Limited numbers of traditional balconies/verandas on all the E class ships. 

Edited by davekathy

Hi, everyone. Am I missing something here? I thought the question was if you like IV, why not let’s shoot everyone down who likes it. How about less debate and more from those who like them. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mlparker said:

Hi, everyone. Am I missing something here? I thought the question was if you like IV, why not let’s shoot everyone down who likes it. How about less debate and more from those who like them. Thanks!

Not sure who got "shot down" for their views on the IV but IMO the "debate" to which you refer has shed lots of great information about a lot of categories on both E class and the others.  Sometimes topics morph into something even better and more informative than an OP could have imagined when they first started the thread.  I guess one could skip over the posts they don't like in favor of those that stick to the named thread title.  Personally, I get much more out of topics that grow organically than I do from ones that stick only to the thread title.  I'm probably in the minority, tho.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Personally, I get much more out of topics that grow organically than I do from ones that stick only to the thread title.  I'm probably in the minority, tho.

I'm there with you. Cruise Critic is a forum where people give their views on various topics. An exchange, not a list. 

I will note also that although an OP has the right to try to direct a discussion, when you post your own opinions you are likely to generate responses (many very thoughtful) on all sides.

The whole point of reading anything here is to learn something. In this thread, I have seen several things that make me intrigued by an IV, but then I see something that scares me off.

For example, Biff opines how versatile it is...but someone else points out that you can't open it in the morning while allowing a cabin mate to continue to sleep in your a/c and darkened room. That is an absolute deal killer for my wife whose health literally requires 8+ hrs. 

A rigid adherence to the OP's "rules" would not have given me that info. 

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, shavdog said:

How  do you identify how many and where they are located?

All suites(I believe), all aft cabins...some forward and aft "porthole" balconies, a true opening sliding door that opens to a large round opening...much bigger than you think of when you think of porthole.  

image.thumb.png.80f8f9995d387ac2e2c2f94ec7147a4f.png

12 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

All suites(I believe), all aft cabins...some forward and aft "porthole" balconies, a true opening sliding door that opens to a large round opening...much bigger than you think of when you think of porthole.  

image.thumb.png.80f8f9995d387ac2e2c2f94ec7147a4f.png

38 minutes ago, shavdog said:

That porthole balcony looks like tunnel vision to me....

LOL!  I agree.  Apparently some have more obstructed views than others.  We have one booked on the Ascent in November and we did so for the traditional balcony option.  I think I have booked one with the least/no obstruction but I do love the idea for a fully shaded outdoor place to sit.  My only wish is that it came with concierge perks so we could enjoy an embarkation lunch in the MDR.  

I have asked my TA to keep an eye out on the pricing of a MC sky suite which are currently too expensive for a 4 night cruise IMO.  OTOH, there is a 3 day cruise following the 4 nighter we are on and I would love to score a MC sky suite for that to do a comparison but still, prices are too high.

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Not sure who got "shot down" for their views on the IV but IMO the "debate" to which you refer has shed lots of great information about a lot of categories on both E class and the others.  Sometimes topics morph into something even better and more informative than an OP could have imagined when they first started the thread.  I guess one could skip over the posts they don't like in favor of those that stick to the named thread title.  Personally, I get much more out of topics that grow organically than I do from ones that stick only to the thread title.  I'm probably in the minority, tho.

I like the "morphing" makes it more like a natural conversation. Just keep it friendly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shavdog said:

That porthole balcony looks like tunnel vision to me....

Standing on the balcony and at the rail, it's not like that at all.  We did a cabin crawl and toured one.  I still think I would prefer an IV over this.  We stayed aft on Apex, and I have not stayed in an IV at this point.   

Edited by PTC DAWG

On 5/1/2023 at 2:12 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Agree with all of this, especially the last paragraph. 

Unfortunately there are not always plenty of balcony ships in certain areas if you want to stick with Celebrity.  There continues to be so much discussion about this because it is sooooo very frustrating for many of us long time cruisers who worked for years to build status on Celebrity only to have them drastically change one of our favorite parts of the ship on all new ships. And not just partially,  but 95% of the non-suite cabins if not more. Now I have the choice- pay lots of $$ for a suite, give up one of my favorite things (a nice balcony), or sail on another line with zero of the benefits I've waited 30 years to get.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Now I have the choice- pay lots of $$ for a suite, give up one of my favorite things (a nice balcony), or sail on another line with zero of the benefits I've waited 30 years to get.

You could status match to MSC but I would only recommend the yacht club. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 7:29 AM, cruise47 said:

We're sailing on the Apex in July out of Rotterdam, and were fortunate to have snagged an SV. After sailing in an IV on the Beyond last month DH and I agreed never again. If suite prices don't come down to a more reasonable level, that leaves just the few SV's to choose from on an E class ship for us.

7 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Unfortunately there are not always plenty of balcony ships in certain areas if you want to stick with Celebrity.  There continues to be so much discussion about this because it is sooooo very frustrating for many of us long time cruisers who worked for years to build status on Celebrity only to have them drastically change one of our favorite parts of the ship on all new ships. And not just partially,  but 95% of the non-suite cabins if not more. Now I have the choice- pay lots of $$ for a suite, give up one of my favorite things (a nice balcony), or sail on another line with zero of the benefits I've waited 30 years to get.

I just don’t see all that much value in any ship’s loyalty programs..free laundry?  A drink or two?  Big deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You could status match to MSC but I would only recommend the yacht club. 

This, and I recommend theYC.

Edited by PTC DAWG