Question on Visas for Australia and Indonesia (Jakarta)

Roz

In January of 2025, I'm taking a 28-day cruise on the Noordam from Singapore.  

I just looked at the confirmation I got from my TA (always a good thing to do 😀) and noticed that Cairns, Darwin, and Jakarta have a notation saying "visas may be required for some". 

I was able to determine that US citizens need a visa to enter Australia and we can apply online.

I'm still confused about Indonesia, and why the itinerary says visas may be needed for Jakarta but not for the Indonesian cities that precede it.  I found out you can apply for a visa at the airport, but that's not going to help those of us flying into Singapore.  I recall reading somewhere on CC that for some ports, the cruise ship obtains the visas for its passengers.  

I wish HAL would provide more information rather than just a nebulus statement that visas may be required.  I've never had to obtain a visa so this is new territory for me.  I know that obtaining one for certain countries such as India is very difficult and time consuming.  

I asked this question on the roll call for this cruise but no one has been able to provide an answer.  Has anyone had any experience with obtaining a visa for Jakarta and why only this city in Indonesia?

Edited by Roz

You don't need an Australia visa - you need an ETA - the correct link is here Subclass 601 Electronic Travel Authority (homeaffairs.gov.au)  you must use their app. 

When we were on a cruise going to Indonesia last year had to do an online app - but that may have been more to do with Covid rules rather than  visas. They've got a lot more tourists back since then so this maybe an evolving situation. 

BTW the itinerary we are on with HAL says we may need visas for Canada, Greenland and Iceland - but not for  the USA where the ship sales from! So the itinerary assumes everyone is American and put the disclaimer on every country so you can't sue them if you don't do your due diligence. (And yes I have an ESTA for the USA!) 

Also I assume you are flying to Singapore - you need ot do their app too ICA | SG Arrival Card  The days of travel without a smart phone are done. 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Australia requires an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) for US visitors.  You can get information online but the online application does not currently work (and hasn't for a while).  You must use their smartphone app.

I can't answer your question about Indonesia.

Your TA should help you with this.  It is part of the service they are paid for.

• Like 1

@lissie and @sciencewonk, thank you both for the great information.  That's what I was looking for. 

I have a smartphone but I can't use it to make phone calls or text outside the US.  I can use apps if I have access to wireless.  Yesterday I ordered a new phone and switched carriers so I'm hoping this will solve the problem.  

I'm still confused as to why I need an Indonesian visa for Jakarta but not Komodo and Bali, but maybe when I go to their website I'll have more clarity. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Roz said:

@lissie and @sciencewonk, thank you both for the great information.  That's what I was looking for. 

I have a smartphone but I can't use it to make phone calls or text outside the US.  I can use apps if I have access to wireless.  Yesterday I ordered a new phone and switched carriers so I'm hoping this will solve the problem.  

I'm still confused as to why I need an Indonesian visa for Jakarta but not Komodo and Bali, but maybe when I go to their website I'll have more clarity. 

I don't recall needing any visa for any of the Indonesian ports, but that was in  2018.  As someone else suggested, rather than worrying about it,  you should call your TA.  That is what they are trained to know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Yesterday I ordered a new phone and switched carriers so I'm hoping this will solve the problem. 

Hey Roz, glad to hear you're getting away from your Gordon Gekko sized mobile phone and getting into 2023!  😉

Also, don't forget all your unneeded stress on money changing in Argentina, so don't overly stress out on visas for a trip that doesn't start for 600+ days.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Hey Roz, glad to hear you're getting away from your Gordon Gekko sized mobile phone and getting into 2023!  😉

Also, don't forget all your unneeded stress on money changing in Argentina, so don't overly stress out on visas for a trip that doesn't start for 600+ days.

Point taken.....

On 4/29/2023 at 2:10 AM, Roz said:

If you have a new phone I strongly recommend you learn how to use it well before you leave home. Make sure you know how to turn on and off mobile, how to attach to wifi and which wifi you're on.  I tell friends to take their phone to town - turn off their cellular service and make sure they can connect to the wifi at  their favourite cafe.  Its much easier to do this when it doesn't matter! 

Just now, lissie said:

If you have a new phone I strongly recommend you learn how to use it well before you leave home. Make sure you know how to turn on and off mobile, how to attach to wifi and which wifi you're on.  I tell friends to take their phone to town - turn off their cellular service and make sure they can connect to the wifi at  their favourite cafe.  Its much easier to do this when it doesn't matter! 

Great advice.  That's exactly why I didn't buy a new phone before my recent cruise to South America.  I have over 5 months to learn and practice before my next big trip in September. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went to Indonesia and Bali on multiple visits with HAL ships. Never applied for a visa before. HAL provides a blanket visas to all passengers for a minimal fee and it is added to your statement on board without any pain or worry. Absolutely NO need to request an Indonesia  visa before your trip. 

Also for the Australian ETA, the best and less expensive way to obtain it is from https://www.easyeta.com.au/

easy, fast and less than $10 USD per person. We have used their services close to 10 times already. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happyglobetrotter said:

Went to Indonesia and Bali on multiple visits with HAL ships. Never applied for a visa before. HAL provides a blanket visas to all passengers for a minimal fee and it is added to your statement on board without any pain or worry. Absolutely NO need to request an Indonesia  visa before your trip. 

Also for the Australian ETA, the best and less expensive way to obtain it is from https://www.easyeta.com.au/

easy, fast and less than $10 USD per person. We have used their services close to 10 times already. 

Just FYI, the Australia ETA visa site doesn't list travel in 2025 on its drop down menu, so coolest thy jets on Australian visas.  It's only June 2023.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I'm due to visit Indonesia with Holland America on Westerdam as a first timer on HAL , and since I had conflicting information about visas when due to fly to Jakarta last February , I asked HAL and was directed to cibtvisas who wanted to charge me a $85 processing  fee for a 35$ visa on arrival .

There are 7 travelling in my group and I have not been able to apply for the eVoA , as I do not know the HAL port agent address in Jakarta , our first stop.

I have been reassured after contacting HAL customer services that the visa will be processed once onboard for a ' small fee ' of $60 each x 7 , in addition to the 35$ for the actual visa . I wish they could have told me that after my first enquiry back in February. 

The thought of having to waste time and energy queuing up for this process just for HAL to make a few extra bucks is clouding my experience somewhat! Hopefully the visit to Komodo and rest of Indonesia will be a memorable one for the right reasons . 

1 hour ago, pattieuk said:

I'm due to visit Indonesia with Holland America on Westerdam as a first timer on HAL , and since I had conflicting information about visas when due to fly to Jakarta last February , I asked HAL and was directed to cibtvisas who wanted to charge me a $85 processing  fee for a 35$ visa on arrival .

There are 7 travelling in my group and I have not been able to apply for the eVoA , as I do not know the HAL port agent address in Jakarta , our first stop.

I have been reassured after contacting HAL customer services that the visa will be processed once onboard for a ' small fee ' of $60 each x 7 , in addition to the 35$ for the actual visa . I wish they could have told me that after my first enquiry back in February. 

The thought of having to waste time and energy queuing up for this process just for HAL to make a few extra bucks is clouding my experience somewhat! Hopefully the visit to Komodo and rest of Indonesia will be a memorable one for the right reasons . 

Oops just noticed you are in UK

Edited by Mary229

I did did Sydney/Singapore last January on Westerdam.

Again, there was confusion about what HAL would or wouldn't do re visa. My cruise arrived at Komodo Iland first, then Lombok and then Bali.

Lombok was not an "entry" port but it didn't really matter. I successfully applied online for a visa following information in my roll call. Here is a link. Hope it helps. HAL eventually did the Visas but, as usual, cost was more than doing it online.

• Like 1