No More Veuve, No More Grey Goose

gmbhardy

Recently got off the Escape, asked for champagne with most evening meals. Was a very mixed experience. Only managed Pommery once - think it was in MDR on embarkation day. When I dined at Le Bistro could get Veuve by the glass (but they propped a bottle next to me).

In all other restaurants they offered Prosecco but when I spoke to the Sommelier they switched to a Rose Le Kool or Carte Blanche Pierre Boever which they insisted was as good as Moet 😁 (really isn't comparable!) 

Some of the menus like Bayamo sill showed Veuve by the bottle as included but they were outdated. I've done FAS+ / P+ on last three cruises, not sure I'll bother next time. Will see if a Amex Offer comes up that makes it half price!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 2:58 AM, NengEuis said:

Update from the Pearl. Onboard with P+ and have only found Prosecco at every bar.  Magnums has “one bottle” of Pommery Rose. Nice bartender Jim says “I have no idea what is going on, we’re the Champagne Bar!”. In Spinnaker, they don’t have Pommery Rose…in fact when I ordered it he says “ok Prosecco?” It’s the only Sparkling Wine/Champagne on the P+ menu. Umm..no. So I ask for La Crema. They have none. I ask for the other P+ Chardonnay (Terrazas) and he has to go searching for it. I don’t really want Chardonnay but I don’t really drink any other whites. Anyway, I drink Hendricks at home so I’ll probably give up grapes this cruise. Eating at LeBistro tomorrow and will have many Veuves, since that’s the only place you can get it…I hope! 🤞🏼 

Outrageous by NCL. 🤬

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Getaway a couple of weeks back.

I enquired and the results were:

No Belvedere remaining on the ship.

Grey Goose was an additional charge of $2.40 if you had the FAS ultimate beverage package (or whatever its rebranded as now)

P.S. the additional charge was worth every cent IMO, 
We carried out some blind taste tests for fun.
All the the vodka included in the FAS UBP vs Grey Goose. Each in a glass with ice and pineapple juice.
Even my wife could tell the difference and she would not be into vodka.

13 hours ago, WexIrl said:

I was on the Getaway a couple of weeks back.

I enquired and the results were:

No Belvedere remaining on the ship.

Grey Goose was an additional charge of $2.40 if you had the FAS ultimate beverage package (or whatever its rebranded as now)

All the the vodka included in the FAS UBP vs Grey Goose. Each in a glass with ice and pineapple juice.

Wait, you had to pay a surpluss even though the FAT Ultimate states that all drinks by the glass are included? 😕

Seriously NCL, what are you doing...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MiniJeffrey said:

Wait, you had to pay a surpluss even though the FAT Ultimate states that all drinks by the glass are included? 😕

All drinks by the glass ARE NOT included with FAS.  Those drinks that are what NCL considers premium are charged the delta between the $15 included drinks price and the price of the premium choice.  It’s been that way as long as I’ve been cruising them.

FAS+ includes nearly all the drinks, including what NCL considers premium.  But, even there, drinks like Louis XIII cognac are not included in that, either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MiniJeffrey said:

Yes.

Prior to May 2023 I enjoyed Grey Goose on each cruise as part of the FAS Ultimate Beverage package.

Grey Goose along with many other alcohol brands/types is no longer part of the FAS Ultimate Beverage package.

You now need to purchase the Premium Plus beverage package to access these.

By giving everyone all the FAS options now as default when booking instead of a select option of 2 has really seen the chickens come home to roost IMO.

17 hours ago, MiniJeffrey said:

Wait, you had to pay a surplus even though the FAS Ultimate states that all drinks by the glass are included? 😕

Wait. You didn't really read that somewhere. FAS States: "Includes a variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD retail price. Includes fountain soda, juice, and non-alcoholic beer. Does not include: Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights, Starbucks, Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines."

The promotion covers the first $15 of drinks. If you pick a drink that exceeds $15, you pay the difference + grats. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Wait. You didn't really read that somewhere. FAS States: "Includes a variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD retail price. Includes fountain soda, juice, and non-alcoholic beer. Does not include: Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights, Starbucks, Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines."

The promotion covers the first $15 of drinks. If you pick a drink that exceeds $15, you pay the difference + grats. 

We are talking about the FAS plus here, the one that states that all drinks by the glass are included.

Edited by MiniJeffrey
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, WexIrl said:

Yes.

Prior to May 2023 I enjoyed Grey Goose on each cruise as part of the FAS Ultimate Beverage package.

Grey Goose along with many other alcohol brands/types is no longer part of the FAS Ultimate Beverage package.

You now need to purchase the Premium Plus beverage package to access these.

By giving everyone all the FAS options now as default when booking instead of a select option of 2 has really seen the chickens come home to roost IMO.

FAS, FAS Ultimate, FAS Premium Plus. 😁

Just double checked, I have the Frea At Sea Plus, which includes the Premium Plus bevarage pack. Not that I want the whiskey, I just want the champagne and starbucks :D. But good to know I have all drinks by the glass included, so they can make me some exclusive cocktails too :D.

Premium Plus Beverage Package
Includes all beverages by the glass (top-shelf spirits, cocktails, beer and wine), select premium bottles of champagne and wine as well as unlimited Starbucks® coffee and speciality drinks, bottled water, soda, juices, and more. Click Here for details.

People are getting confused with the terminology here. The basic package that you get with free at sea is called the Premium Beverage Package, and is sometimes referred to as the Ultimate Beverage Package (from memory that used to be its name). With that package you are only covered for $15 and pay any extra.

The package you bet with free at sea (or can be purchased separately) is the Premium Plus package.

When the poster above was saying about paying the extra that was with the Premium package, not premium plus.

• Like 1

We have upgraded to Premium Plus the last several cruises and have enjoyed the different choices.  Presently, NCL has removed Veuve Cliquot from the Premium Plus offerings and has not replaced it with a comparable champagne.  In fact, many are reporting that NO champagne is now available under the Premium Plus package.  Several of the wines we enjoyed also have been removed, along with a couple brands of vodka and Hennessy XO.  Unfortunately, we will not upgrade to the Premium Plus in the future as there is no value in it for us.  We have a March cruise booked and I will monitor this thread to see if there are any positive changes over the next several months.  If  Veuve Cliquot (or a comparable champagne) is again covered by Premium Plus, and IF such champagne is actually available at several bars, we will re-evaluate the situation. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, lexxfield said:

If  Veuve Cliquot (or a comparable champagne) is again covered by Premium Plus, and IF such champagne is actually available at several bars, we will re-evaluate the situation. 

That's exactly how we feel about it!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lexxfield said:

We have upgraded to Premium Plus the last several cruises and have enjoyed the different choices.  Presently, NCL has removed Veuve Cliquot from the Premium Plus offerings and has not replaced it with a comparable champagne.  In fact, many are reporting that NO champagne is now available under the Premium Plus package.  Several of the wines we enjoyed also have been removed, along with a couple brands of vodka and Hennessy XO.  Unfortunately, we will not upgrade to the Premium Plus in the future as there is no value in it for us.  We have a March cruise booked and I will monitor this thread to see if there are any positive changes over the next several months.  If  Veuve Cliquot (or a comparable champagne) is again covered by Premium Plus, and IF such champagne is actually available at several bars, we will re-evaluate the situation. 

They still advertize for Pommery Rosé, was that one available?

In order to keep our expectations realistic, it is important to keep in mind some of the terms and conditions of NCL packages:

• No substitute for package if guest cannot consume all beverages included.
  • Other terms and conditions may apply.
  • Please note that rates are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Norwegian Cruise Line.
  • Like 1

Just off the Joy- I downgraded from the Premium Plus package after I heard about the Veuve. They are selling it in the duty free shop, though. I’m not a beer drinker, but enjoy a Duvel, and they had it in the District Brewhouse onboard. It used to be $9 a bottle. Imagine my surprise when it is now $16 a bottle- total insanity! 

IMG_8046.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

So if you order a drink not on any menu, do you have to ask what the price is in order to know if it is under $15 and covered?

Actually, if you order something not on the menu and has ingredients over the $15 limit, the bartender will let you know.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 5:32 PM, WexIrl said:

Uh oh! I better start saving my pennies now! I too, have conducted taste tests (though not blind). I can absolutely tell when a well vodka is used compared to Grey Goose...my method was simple:

Order a vodka and club soda. Forget to tell the server I wanted Grey Goose. Take a drink when it arrived and instantly regret not saying Grey Goose. Next order...completely forget to say Grey Goose and continue the spiral of regret.

I only have about ten vodka/club sodas on a cruise, so I suppose I can afford the $24 it'll cost me. Let's call it $12 since I'll probably forget to say Grey Goose at least half the time. 

And don't worry, I'm not one to abuse alcohol. I still drink the not-quite so refreshing well vodka and club. 

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Uh oh! I better start saving my pennies now! I too, have conducted taste tests (though not blind). I can absolutely tell when a well vodka is used compared to Grey Goose...my method was simple:

Order a vodka and club soda. Forget to tell the server I wanted Grey Goose. Take a drink when it arrived and instantly regret not saying Grey Goose. Next order...completely forget to say Grey Goose and continue the spiral of regret.

I only have about ten vodka/club sodas on a cruise, so I suppose I can afford the $24 it'll cost me. Let's call it $12 since I'll probably forget to say Grey Goose at least half the time. 

And don't worry, I'm not one to abuse alcohol. I still drink the not-quite so refreshing well vodka and club. 

Alway order your first drink or two with the good stuff, then once you have a buzz it doesn’t matter 😎

• Haha 1