Lido Market Buffet vs MDR

dalesyang

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Love it~ That sounds like a super yummy one course meal from the lido :). No muss. No fuss. 

Did you see anything besides fish for the fresh grill? How about other fresh made-to-order stations like pasta? Stir fry? 

I didn’t look at much else since I knew I wanted a salad.  There was a pasta spot and a place with the fish that also had red meat offerings.   That’s all I remember but I know there was more.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:06 PM, dalesyang said:

Never been on a cruise so apologies if this is a dumb question.

Going on a cruise this summer on the Rotterdam for 7 nights.   Just wondering if anyone knew when the busiest time for dinner is at the Lido Buffet?   Trying to plan to eat dinner there when its not so busy and we can find a table for 3 easily.         

Also,  is there any difference between the LIDO Buffet vs.  MDR?   I heard most of the food is about the same.     So the only difference would be the ambience and sitting for the meal basically right?     Just wanted to know what people prefer and why?

To me, the highlight of cruising is eating in the Main Dining Room every night.  Just dressing up, getting waited on, relaxing with my husband is what it's all about.  This is the same whether we're close to home in the Caribbean, in Alaska, on a Transatlantic or in Europe. Some people like the casualness of the buffet.  It's totally up to you.  We just got off the Transatlantic last Saturday and my DH was isolated for 4 days, so I was flying solo.  Sure I could have dined in the buffet, but it was always Main Dining Room for me, solo or not.  I'm almost at 250 nights of sailing on 12 different lines over 50 years and have never had dinner at a buffet on a cruise.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

To me, the highlight of cruising is eating in the Main Dining Room every night.  Just dressing up, getting waited on, relaxing with my husband is what it's all about.  This is the same whether we're close to home in the Caribbean, in Alaska, on a Transatlantic or in Europe. Some people like the casualness of the buffet.  It's totally up to you.  We just got off the Transatlantic last Saturday and my DH was isolated for 4 days, so I was flying solo.  Sure I could have dined in the buffet, but it was always Main Dining Room for me, solo or not.  I'm almost at 250 nights of sailing on 12 different lines over 50 years and have never had dinner at a buffet on a cruise.

Same. That said I'm usually eating in specialty.  I'm still trying to figure out what a fresh grill is.  I've read many, many lido menus and none of them sound like they are grilling on the spot. I'd love to see chicken cooked in a few minutes.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2023 at 12:07 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t know why anyone chooses buffet over service, it boggles my mind. There is no way you’ll get me in there at breakfast.  There is getting to be too much self serve lately for my taste.  On my recent cruise I saw I lady pick up a plate and fondle it for a while then put it back in the pile.  How can anyone possibly not see that is wrong?  I immediately told the server who had trouble understanding my point but I made sure she removed the offending plate and the one under it.  I’m sure that’s the most tame thing that happens in there 🤮.

I am firmly in the MDR over Lido camp, but food is one of the most subjective experiences for people (and based on my dogs, for animals as well).  I would never disparage anyone for their choice of dining options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

I am firmly in the MDR over Lido camp, but food is one of the most subjective experiences for people (and based on my dogs, for animals as well).  I would never disparage anyone for their choice of dining options.

I’m not disparaging anyone.  Don’t put words into my mouth.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I’m not a dress up to go to dinner person.  I would prefer an entree size salad, maybe Asian if it looks good that night.  But if that isn’t your thing, go for what suits you.  No judgement…

I see very few people dressing for dinner anymore.  I think you said you got something from a “fresh grill”.  Can you explain what station this is at? I have a very, very long excursion on my next cruise and if you can actually get something that is grilled just that minute I may do this.  I’ve only seen things come from big trays in the lido so I’m curious where this could be.

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think you said you got something from a “fresh grill”.  Can you explain what station this is at? I have a very, very long excursion on my next cruise and if you can actually get something that is grilled just that minute I may do this.  I’ve only seen things come from big trays in the lido so I’m curious where this could be.

I have also never seen an "à la minute" grill on HAL other than the eggs station.  It would be great if it is something new for lunch and dinner since I was last on in the fall.

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I have also never seen an "à la minute" grill on HAL other than the eggs station.  It would be great if it is something new for lunch and dinner since I was last on in the fall.

~Nancy

Ok good, it’s not just me.  While I haven’t eaten up there at night I’ve spent a lot of time in Canaletto so I’ve walked through there plenty.  I’ve not seen anything like that.  I’d rather have a snack at the Dutch cafe than eat something out of a tray, or phone for room service.  Then I can eat on the balcony.

• Haha 1

C’mon HAL- Even celebrity, with all their buffet cut backs, offered chicken, fish, and pork chops freshly grilled at dinner. You point to the raw protein, they toss it on the grill, and in a few minutes it’s done. Available at lunch also. 

NCL has the best selection I’ve found with sirloin offered (although that might be different post covid). RCL and MSC offer a fresh grill option too. It’s a great way to eat healthy and it is cost effective too, since there is no waste. 

I am a fan of fresh, hot, healthy meals.

I am not a fan of eating food out of a sheafing dish 😞

Edited by BermudaBound2014

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I see very few people dressing for dinner anymore.  I think you said you got something from a “fresh grill”.  Can you explain what station this is at? I have a very, very long excursion on my next cruise and if you can actually get something that is grilled just that minute I may do this.  I’ve only seen things come from big trays in the lido so I’m curious where this could be.

Not me.  I just pick up a nice piece of grilled salmon to add to my salad.  Didn’t say “fresh grill” or grilled in front of me.  The salmon tonight was with a crispy skin on - went well in my custom made Cobb salad.  

• Like 3

On 4/28/2023 at 2:06 PM, dalesyang said:

Never been on a cruise so apologies if this is a dumb question.

Going on a cruise this summer on the Rotterdam for 7 nights.   Just wondering if anyone knew when the busiest time for dinner is at the Lido Buffet?   Trying to plan to eat dinner there when its not so busy and we can find a table for 3 easily.         

Also,  is there any difference between the LIDO Buffet vs.  MDR?   I heard most of the food is about the same.     So the only difference would be the ambience and sitting for the meal basically right?     Just wanted to know what people prefer and why?

Generally speaking the Lido is not too busy at dinner as most people are in either the MDR or specialty. The only exception is if you have a late night port call when all bets are off. Menu wise you see a lot of crossover on the menus. Of course the MDR is plated and served and the Lido is buffet (they will still plate for you). 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

…We just got off the Transatlantic last Saturday and my DH was isolated for 4 days, so I was flying solo.  Sure I could have dined in the buffet, but it was always Main Dining Room for me, solo or not….

Did the ship relocate you to a separate cabin? Thanks.

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Not me.  I just pick up a nice piece of grilled salmon to add to my salad.  Didn’t say “fresh grill” or grilled in front of me.  The salmon tonight was with a crispy skin on - went well in my custom made Cobb salad.  

Ok thanks.  I didn’t think anything was freshly grilled just in a big tray as it is at lunch.  Nothing fresh about that.  I can tell you I’ve had freshly cooked salmon in the dining room at lunch on salad and as a sub for the daily fish. It tastes way better than lido fish. Whatever works.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zgscl said:

…Of course the MDR is plated and served and the Lido is buffet (they will still plate for you). 

I remember the first time we dined in the Lido at dinnertime (2009?), guests would check-in at a station. The buffet was still available but we could place our main order with the manager and be served at a table. Tablecloths were on the tables for dinner. Things were a bit different then.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I remember the first time we dined in the Lido at dinnertime (2009?), guests would check-in at a station. The buffet was still available but we could place our main order with the manager and be served at a table. Tablecloths were on the tables for dinner. Things were a bit different then.

I could see the appeal in that where people aren’t fondling plates, sneezing and coughing over everything, eating food that has been sitting and fighting for a table. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

Did the ship relocate you to a separate cabin? Thanks.

Since we were in an inside cabin, we asked if we could get a balcony. Apparently there are 4 obstructed cabins they are holding for isolation. We moved to that as soon as it was ready for us the day DH tested positive.

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Like 1

Such drama. These descriptions of the lido buffet remind me of a Jerry Springer show. Maybe HAL can video the chaos and show for their evening entertainment which also appears subpar when compared to the competition.  Anyway, thanks for the giggles on a Monday morning :).

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly disappointed to learn that HAL doesn't offer a fresh grilling station at both lunch and dinner. Even the cheapest of budget lines offer this choice for those of us who prefer food prepared hot and fresh. I wonder why HAL has never integrated this option into lunch/dinner buffets since it's the most popular station on many other cruise lines?

It's a good thing I don't mind dressing up for the MDR :). 

• Like 1

If it helps at all, I’ve seen a grilling station for steaks and things while I was walking by.  People were ordering the everyday steak to their desired doneness and it was being grilled.  Sorry I can’t be more specific with greater detail.  I am not a Lido dining person so this was just an observation.

• Thanks 1

One more point: many here mentioned "dressing up" for the MDR. On our September cruise I wouldn't classify anyone as really "dressed up.' Everyone was pretty casual. I guess this might be because that was an Alaska cruise, so no one was wearing shorts and flip flops during the day.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

If it helps at all, I’ve seen a grilling station for steaks and things while I was walking by.  People were ordering the everyday steak to their desired doneness and it was being grilled.  

Great news for me, thank you! :). 

I found it hard to believe that HAL didn’t offer some type of fresh grill protein every evening in the lido since it is offered on even the most budget cruise lines (and is always a very popular option).

Thanks again, you are always a wealth of reliable information .  :). 

• Like 1

On the Pinnacle class ships (Koningsdam, Rotterdam, Nieuw Statendam) there is a grilling station in the Lido where fresh proteins are grilled to your liking. There are also several other stations that offer food made at your request while you wait, eg fresh stir fries where you pick all your own ingredients (veggies and proteins) and they cook it up in front of you. We love the Lido on the Pinnacle ships for their variety and freshness. We love to eat breakfast and lunch outside and dine inside for dinner and never have trouble finding a table for any meal. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, barb-ottawa said:

On the Pinnacle class ships (Koningsdam, Rotterdam, Nieuw Statendam) there is a grilling station in the Lido where fresh proteins are grilled to your liking. There are also several other stations that offer food made at your request while you wait, eg fresh stir fries where you pick all your own ingredients (veggies and proteins) and they cook it up in front of you. We love the Lido on the Pinnacle ships for their variety and freshness. We love to eat breakfast and lunch outside and dine inside for dinner and never have trouble finding a table for any meal. 

See, that’s exactly what I’m talking about :). 

I love the fresh grilled stir fries too. Pick a protein and the veggies I like and WA’La - fresh, made to order dinner with ingredients that match my individual taste. 

I’ve found the fresh grilled options at the lido much tastier than the pre-plated banquet style MDR meals, but food is very subjective. 
Glad to read that HAL offers options. 

I'm finishing up a review of my recent South American cruise on the Oosterdam, but I'll share with you what I've written about my experience in the Lido and MDR:

I had breakfast in the dining room whenever it was available, and found it to be a very civilized, relaxing way to start the day vs. the frenetic pace of the Lido.  The dining room lunch menu got boring after the first few times, and I wish it changed every day like it used to.  Several of the items on the lunch menu just aren’t that good. 

I found the temperature of the food in the Lido to be uneven.  That could have been a function of it sitting on the steam table or me having to circle the Lido numerous times to find a seat, an issue I’ll address separately in this review.  I enjoyed the Lido salad bar and the Asian station, and of course the ice cream and bread pudding.  It can take a while and some effort to “assemble” your meals in the Lido.  For instance, there was no butter at the bread and pastry station.  When I wanted to have one of my beloved Dutch raisin buns for breakfast, I had to go to the other side of the Lido to procure butter, then visit another station for hot items such as eggs or bacon.  Finally, after placing everything on a table, if there wasn’t a waiter nearby, another trip was required to get a cup of coffee and yet another to get orange juice or some fruit.  

HAL’s dining hours are really limited.  Breakfast in the dining room is for an hour and a half but lunch is only one hour. 

The Lido got old after about 3 weeks.  Having limited offerings from 2-4 pm and then being closed from 4-5:30 pm made it difficult when we got back from a late excursion.  A couple of times when my dinner just wasn’t that satisfying, I took advantage of the late night dining in the Lido.

One issue I experienced, and other solos commented on, was finding a seat in the Lido.  HAL needs to do something about people parking themselves for long periods of time and just chit chatting, playing card games and board games, etc.  The tables don't turn over and some groups traveling together just occupied the same table and different people would come and go all day long.  Another issue is a couple sitting at a 6-top and then giving you the stink eye when you try to sit down.  People have got to understand that you have to share tables in the Lido.  I'm off my soap box.  

Edited by Roz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barb-ottawa said:

Any idea what the station is called like homestead etc?