Programming card for multiple rooms

snowlight

Hello, we have a couple of rooms booked within our family. I was wondering if, for example, my key card can be programmed to open my mothers room? (with her explicit permission of course)

I was reading about how, on Princess, Guest Services can program the medallions for multiple rooms, and thought this would be super handy for us on our upcoming HAL cruise (Zaandam) if it is possible.

Anyone done this?

Don't know if one keycard can be programmed for multiple staterooms or not.

When traveling with family, we go to Guest Services and request a separate keycard for others. We are in charge of who receives it. It will only open our stateroom door - it cannot be used to charge items. If you do this, check that all keycards work. Once, the employee didn't completely understand how to do this and invalidated our keycards!

DH and I were on the Rotterdam in February in our own room, and my father travelled with us in his own room.  Guest Services was able to have a spare card made, and like @Cruise Suzy, all you could do is open the door....I know this, because I gave the wrong card at the bar one time!  The access card has the room number on it, so I could tell the difference between mine and his.

L.

image.thumb.jpeg.9b9a2178048ed01828640d34b5584466.jpeg

2 hours ago, leerathje said:

DH and I were on the Rotterdam in February in our own room, and my father travelled with us in his own room.  Guest Services was able to have a spare card made, and like @Cruise Suzy, all you could do is open the door....I know this, because I gave the wrong card at the bar one time!  The access card has the room number on it, so I could tell the difference between mine and his.

L.

Thank you! So on HAL do they just give you key cards, or is there some kind of lanyard or pouch to keep it in (the Princess medallion is worn on the wrist). I have two family members who are... shall we say... prone to losing keycards.

So if it's not wearable I'll need to figure out something that will help them keep track of it!

4 hours ago, snowlight said:

Thank you! So on HAL do they just give you key cards, or is there some kind of lanyard or pouch to keep it in (the Princess medallion is worn on the wrist). I have two family members who are... shall we say... prone to losing keycards.

So if it's not wearable I'll need to figure out something that will help them keep track of it!

They will be very happy to sell you a lanyard in the gift shop! But I would recommend bringing your own 🙂

They just give you the key card and depending on the ship there may or may not be a hole punched in the card, but a plastic holder might be worthwhile. I believe guest services can hole punch for you except on the newest ships they generally have RFID readers and do not punch a hole in the cards as it can disable the RFID technology. 

57 minutes ago, oakridger said:

My last few cruises since 2019 have a hole already in them. 

~Nancy

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Take a lanyard and have them punch a hole in the card.  EM

Someone  on the Rotterdam last December asked where I got the hole in my stateroom card so its obvious not all passengers get the stateroom keys with lanyard slots,  FWIW I still keep a hole puncher in my cruise accessories bag and have shared it with those seated near me in the waiting area.

• Thanks 1