Pike place market tour suggestions

eileeshb

I’m hoping a few of the seasoned Seattle visitors/residents can suggest which tour of Pike Place market is worth the time and cost. 
I’ll have 2 full days in Seattle before my cruise in October so I suspect a full morning will be spent at PPM before heading over to Pioneer Square area, Smith Tower and the underground Seattle tour. 
There are a few tours of PPM I’m finding listed which include tastings at some of the food outlets, the Chefs tour is explicit about what the stops are but the early bird tasting tour doesn’t guarantee what any will be. Then there’s a couple of other walking tours that include stops at PPM as well as en route to the market. 

Not sure which tour you are taking, (I am a Seattle area resident), and I did a quick google search and a 2 hour $55 tour popped up and I am familiar with most of the places.  It seems reasonable.  Since you will be here in October, the Market won't be crowded, and it should be rather pleasant walking around in a small group.  Not sure if you are traveling solo, but it might be nice to meet up with fellow travelers.

The other option is is wait until one of our very helpful local CCer's  designs a tour for you!  ;  )

• Like 1

I have a friend coming with me for this trip, I’ve found a few different tours across multiple platforms. 
The one that seems to have the most defined itinerary with tastings is the Chef’s tour which is 2hrs  but there’s also a version that starts before the place is fully open. But there’s a bunch more with varying themes. 

I’m thinking a tour of some sort is the best way to make the most of our limited time in Seattle, otherwise we could be wandering the market complex for a full day and still not know what is worth checking out. 

I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon but IMO the Pike Place Market is above all else a visual experience for visitors.  Yes, there are tasty foods to nosh on, but if you come early and can stay a couple of hours, you can see quite a lot and experience many of the "highlights" of the market without having somebody curate the whole experience for you for fifty bucks or more.  

Come for breakfast, as early as you can.  I'd suggest Lowell's, which opens at 8 AM.  Get a window table and watch the ferries going back and forth across Elliott Bay, then after breakfast wander around the main and north arcades while the merchants are setting up for the day.  Cross the street and do the ground level in the Sanitary Market and Triangle buildings, then if you want, re-cross the street and visit the lower levels in the main market.  If you want to nibble, maybe try one of the long-standing vendors like the Mee Sum bakery (great hum bao rolls) or Piroshky, Piroshky, or a pastry from the Three Girls Bakery (been there for over a century.)  

I think for most people, a couple of hours, three max, is about the average limit.  The Pike Place market is an institution, but, honestly, it's not THAT unique compared to other old-time markets around the country and world.  The Grand Central Market and Farmers Market in Los Angeles are (IMO) just as colorful and historic as Pike Place, as is the Reading Market in Philly, Granville Island in Vancouver, or any number of markets around the world, including a couple in Dublin.  The Pike Place Market offers terrific views of the waterfront from a few places, and IMO those add to whatever "uniqueness" is to be found, not just some artisan cheese vendor or some stall that throws salmon around (the same poor fish, all day long.)  

If you're heading to Pioneer Square later, why not take the light rail to the International District/Chinatown station and walk a block to Uwajimaya, Seattle's iconic pan-Asian (heavily Japanese) supermarket/department store.  You want an unusual food/shopping experience?  Play "name that vegetable" in the produce section, nosh in the food court that features stalls selling various Asian cuisines, buy some unusual Japanese snacks for the cruise, or visit the amazing Kinokuniya bookstore, a branch of Japan's biggest.  You're on the Pacific Rim, after all, so see what's on offer.  Just a suggestion, anyway.  

• Like 3

I agree! Having spent lots of time at Pike Place, a tour is a waste. Easily done on your own, love the rest of your suggestions too. Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions.

Barbara

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon but IMO the Pike Place Market is above all else a visual experience for visitors.  Yes, there are tasty foods to nosh on, but if you come early and can stay a couple of hours, you can see quite a lot and experience many of the "highlights" of the market without having somebody curate the whole experience for you for fifty bucks or more.  

Come for breakfast, as early as you can.  I'd suggest Lowell's, which opens at 8 AM.  Get a window table and watch the ferries going back and forth across Elliott Bay, then after breakfast wander around the main and north arcades while the merchants are setting up for the day.  Cross the street and do the ground level in the Sanitary Market and Triangle buildings, then if you want, re-cross the street and visit the lower levels in the main market.  If you want to nibble, maybe try one of the long-standing vendors like the Mee Sum bakery (great hum bao rolls) or Piroshky, Piroshky, or a pastry from the Three Girls Bakery (been there for over a century.)  

I think for most people, a couple of hours, three max, is about the average limit.  The Pike Place market is an institution, but, honestly, it's not THAT unique compared to other old-time markets around the country and world.  The Grand Central Market and Farmers Market in Los Angeles are (IMO) just as colorful and historic as Pike Place, as is the Reading Market in Philly, Granville Island in Vancouver, or any number of markets around the world, including a couple in Dublin.  The Pike Place Market offers terrific views of the waterfront from a few places, and IMO those add to whatever "uniqueness" is to be found, not just some artisan cheese vendor or some stall that throws salmon around (the same poor fish, all day long.)  

If you're heading to Pioneer Square later, why not take the light rail to the International District/Chinatown station and walk a block to Uwajimaya, Seattle's iconic pan-Asian (heavily Japanese) supermarket/department store.  You want an unusual food/shopping experience?  Play "name that vegetable" in the produce section, nosh in the food court that features stalls selling various Asian cuisines, buy some unusual Japanese snacks for the cruise, or visit the amazing Kinokuniya bookstore, a branch of Japan's biggest.  You're on the Pacific Rim, after all, so see what's on offer.  Just a suggestion, anyway.  

thank you so much for posting this! We are so excited to go experience this in a few weeks!

On 5/5/2023 at 8:08 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

Bathrooms in PPM are hard to find, out of the way, and very crowded.  If you stop for a bite somewhere, use the bathroom there ( if they have one).

There are a few bathrooms at the market. The cleanest with the least use are a couple doors north of Starbucks at 1916 Pike Place, inside and to the back.

Just now, CynCyn said:

@Gardyloo what other local activities do you suggest? We like going off the beaten path!

Well of course different strokes and all that, but some personal suggestions would include the following.  Google them.

1.  Bainbridge ferry + Bloedel Reserve.  The ferry ride to Bainbridge Island is very scenic, but once you get there a tour of the Bloedel Reserve on the north end of Bainbridge Island is very worthwhile.  This is one of the premier botanical garden complexes in the US and is well worth investing a couple of hours.

2.  West Seattle Water Taxi and shoreline walk.  The West Seattle Water Taxi departs from the same pier complex as the ferries, but only crosses Elliott Bay to Seacrest Park in West Seattle (part of the city.)  From the pier on that side, there's a 2-mile waterfront pedestrian/bike path around Duwamish Head to Alki ("al - kai") Beach with our own wee Statue of Liberty looking out to the passing ferries, the Olympic Mountains, and the beach vollyballers.  There are numerous cafes and restaurants along the way, including the very fun Marination Ma Kai (Hawaiian/Korean fusion) right on the water taxi pier.  You can rent bikes or kayaks at the pier, or there's a free shuttle bus.

3.  Fishermen's Terminal.  Fishermen's Terminal is located a couple of miles north of downtown, along the Lake Washington Ship Canal, across from the Ballard district.  This is the homeport for much of the Puget Sound fishing fleet, and a big part of the Alaska fleet, including some of the Deadliest Catch boats when they're in town.  You can get a good meal at the Bay Cafe or Chinook's restaurant overlooking the boats, then walk off the carbs along the piers and jetties, past the moving memorial to fishers lost at sea.  This is an iconic "real Seattle" destination.

4.  Ballard Locks.  These locks, operated by the Corps of Engineers, allow boats to transfer from Lakes Union and Washington down to sea level on Puget Sound.  There are lovely gardens on the Ballard side, and a fun fish ladder with underwater viewing windows on the Magnolia (south) side, through which you can see migrating salmon when they're about.  The locks are about a mile's walk from Fishermen's Terminal.

5.  Museum of Flight.  Second only to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum (IMO) and a terrific place to take kids if any are with you.  Their parents, too.

6.  University of Washington campus and Union Bay nature walks.  The UW campus (reached by light rail from downtown) is quite lovely.  Just east of Husky Stadium is a complex of wetlands and sloughs on the edge of Lake Washington.  There's an elevated (part boardwalk) nature trail, or you can rent canoes from the UW Aquatic Center to paddle through the channels where you can see a lot of animal and birdlife.  It's hard to imagine that you're in the middle of a big city.

There are more...

32 minutes ago, Gardyloo said:

Well of course different strokes and all that, but some personal suggestions would include the following.  Google them.

1.  Bainbridge ferry + Bloedel Reserve.  The ferry ride to Bainbridge Island is very scenic, but once you get there a tour of the Bloedel Reserve on the north end of Bainbridge Island is very worthwhile.  This is one of the premier botanical garden complexes in the US and is well worth investing a couple of hours.

2.  West Seattle Water Taxi and shoreline walk.  The West Seattle Water Taxi departs from the same pier complex as the ferries, but only crosses Elliott Bay to Seacrest Park in West Seattle (part of the city.)  From the pier on that side, there's a 2-mile waterfront pedestrian/bike path around Duwamish Head to Alki ("al - kai") Beach with our own wee Statue of Liberty looking out to the passing ferries, the Olympic Mountains, and the beach vollyballers.  There are numerous cafes and restaurants along the way, including the very fun Marination Ma Kai (Hawaiian/Korean fusion) right on the water taxi pier.  You can rent bikes or kayaks at the pier, or there's a free shuttle bus.

3.  Fishermen's Terminal.  Fishermen's Terminal is located a couple of miles north of downtown, along the Lake Washington Ship Canal, across from the Ballard district.  This is the homeport for much of the Puget Sound fishing fleet, and a big part of the Alaska fleet, including some of the Deadliest Catch boats when they're in town.  You can get a good meal at the Bay Cafe or Chinook's restaurant overlooking the boats, then walk off the carbs along the piers and jetties, past the moving memorial to fishers lost at sea.  This is an iconic "real Seattle" destination.

4.  Ballard Locks.  These locks, operated by the Corps of Engineers, allow boats to transfer from Lakes Union and Washington down to sea level on Puget Sound.  There are lovely gardens on the Ballard side, and a fun fish ladder with underwater viewing windows on the Magnolia (south) side, through which you can see migrating salmon when they're about.  The locks are about a mile's walk from Fishermen's Terminal.

5.  Museum of Flight.  Second only to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum (IMO) and a terrific place to take kids if any are with you.  Their parents, too.

6.  University of Washington campus and Union Bay nature walks.  The UW campus (reached by light rail from downtown) is quite lovely.  Just east of Husky Stadium is a complex of wetlands and sloughs on the edge of Lake Washington.  There's an elevated (part boardwalk) nature trail, or you can rent canoes from the UW Aquatic Center to paddle through the channels where you can see a lot of animal and birdlife.  It's hard to imagine that you're in the middle of a big city.

There are more...

Thank you so so much! Getting so excited!

I assume you are going to do The Underground Tour of Seattle?  Very interesting.  Not going to give anymore detail.  You can get the tour in Pioneer Square.  Lots of walking, no handicap friendly.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:55 PM, 9tee2Sea said:

I assume you are going to do The Underground Tour of Seattle?  Very interesting.  Not going to give anymore detail.  You can get the tour in Pioneer Square.  Lots of walking, no handicap friendly.

Definitely on my list. I’m just not sure how far in advance to book it. 

3 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Definitely on my list. I’m just not sure how far in advance to book it. 

you can probably get same day tickets.  You purchase them in Pioneer Square, at the Underground Tour Store Front.