Sausalito

JoRoy218

We’re doing a California coastal in June and ship is scheduled to be spending an overnight in San Francisco. I’m looking at taking the ferry to Sausalito and wondering if anyone has any hints on what to do and see there. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, JoRoy218 said:

I’m looking at taking the ferry to Sausalito * * *

Keep in mind that the ferry has limited service hours. Should the ferry schedule be inconvenient, or if you should miss the last ferry. there is also direct bus service operating hourly until nearly midnight on route no. 130. Ferry is $14.00 each way, bus is $8.00 each way (exact fare required for bus).

GGT Ferry.pdf GGT Route 130.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestions, esp info re: transportation. Our ship will be there overnight and leave second day at 5pm so should have plenty of time to look around.  

8 hours ago, Gregrat said:

Rent bicycles in San Fran and bike to Sausalito then take the ferry back to the city. 

San Francisco!   😉

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, thesmiths said:

We're taking this tour in the am with the option to take the ferry back at our leisure.

Muir Woods Redwood Forest and Sausalito Morning Tour - Extranomical

we are going to do lunch at either Scoma's or Salito's Crab House & Prime Rib Restaurant and take the 4:pm ish ferry back

Excellent choice!  That's the tour I was supposed to take last October when my ship docked here for the day but.....I missed it!  The ship changed the tour time to earlier and I didn't get the memo. 😠

I love Scoma's both in Sausalito and San Francisco. Make a reservation.  When I still lived in the City I used to take the ferry to Sausalito just for the fun of it to be out on the Bay.  So fun!!

~Nancy

14 hours ago, oakridger said:

Excellent choice!  That's the tour I was supposed to take last October when my ship docked here for the day but.....I missed it!  The ship changed the tour time to earlier and I didn't get the memo. 😠

I love Scoma's both in Sausalito and San Francisco. Make a reservation.  When I still lived in the City I used to take the ferry to Sausalito just for the fun of it to be out on the Bay.  So fun!!

~Nancy

Made reservations fri Lunch at Scomas and Dinner at Salitos Crab

On 5/2/2023 at 5:23 PM, thesmiths said:

We're taking this tour in the am with the option to take the ferry back at our leisure.

Muir Woods Redwood Forest and Sausalito Morning Tour - Extranomical

Generally, I prefer using regular public transportation, rather than a tour that mimics public transportation, because there is usually great choice in timing, without the need to travel on one particular vehicle at a specific time. Marin Transit offers this public transportation service for a round-trip fare of $3.50 per passenger (but add to that the ferry fare to and from San Francisco, about $14 each way, and the national monument admission charge of $15, and the real total comes to about $46), as compared to the tour that charges $89. http://www.marintransit.org/routes/66 Unlike the tour, however, Marin Transit offers little hand-holding or other guidance, and so paying twice the price for the guided tour does provide a greater degree of confidence for those persons who might be intimidated by having to navigate on their own. Additionally, Marin Transit had suspended route 66F, which had provided service direct between Muir Woods and Sausalito, and it is not entirely clear if and when that direct service might return (in the absence of direct route 66F service, one would have to transfer to route 17 for service between the Larkspur ferry and Sausalito).

5 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Made reservations fri Lunch at Scomas and Dinner at Salitos Crab

Note in the schedule posted in #3 above by @GTJ that the last ferry leaving Sausalito to San Francisco is at 6:25 pm M-F. or 7:20 pm on the weekends and holidays.  You will need a pretty early dinner to finish in time.  I'm not familiar with the 130 bus route or if it has any drop off locations near the ship.

image.png.68988304f88a1657acbf960d6dae2dcb.png

@thesmiths  Found it!  Here's the bus #130 drop off locations in SF.  I wouldn't get off any further along the route than the Lombard and Fillmore St. or Van Ness and Union Street stop.  Going further gets you into dicey neighborhoods, especially at night.

Both the Lombard and Fillmore and Van Ness and Union Street stops are about 2 miles to pier 27.  Or get a taxi/Uber.  After a long day sightseeing and eating, I'd go the taxi/rideshare route!!  Easier still would be to just take the ferry back at 6:20 pm or earlier.

130 Bus Route - GGT - SF Bay Transit

Have fun!  I love Sausalito!

~Nancy

15 hours ago, oakridger said:

Here's the bus #130 drop off locations in SF. I wouldn't get off any further along the route than the Lombard and Fillmore St. or Van Ness and Union Street stop. Going further gets you into dicey neighborhoods, especially at night. Both the Lombard and Fillmore and Van Ness and Union Street stops are about 2 miles to pier 27.

I would probably remain aboard until the very last stop, at the Salesforce Transit Center. This stop is the primary transportation facility for San Francisco, is in the heart of the city's central business district, and five short blocks from the Embarcadero and the Ferry Building (where one finds the Sausalito ferries). The Embaradero runs along the waterfront and is completely flat and easy for walking.

Alternatively, from the Salesforce Transit Center, walk north on First Street, which becomes Battery Street on the far side of Market Street. Battery Street is also flat and easy walking, and leads directly to Pier 27 (slightly over one mile walk, 20 to 30 minutes on foot).

Alighting on Van Ness Avenue might be good if one anticipates visiting Fisherman's Wharf, but in walking directly from that part of Van News Avenue to Pier 27 could involve some hilly walking.

SF.pdf

Edited by GTJ

On 5/1/2023 at 5:58 PM, Gregrat said:

Rent bicycles in San Fran and bike to Sausalito then take the ferry back to the city. 

You gotta be kidding!  Bike from the City to Sausalito in city, Golden Gate bridge traffic!  

6 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

You gotta be kidding!  Bike from the City to Sausalito in city, Golden Gate bridge traffic!  

Golden Gate Bridge has two walkways. Eastside is for pedestrians and westside is for bikes.

47 minutes ago, Philob said:

Golden Gate Bridge has two walkways. Eastside is for pedestrians and westside is for bikes.

Plus there is lots of bike lanes on both sides of the Bridge and it's approaches.  Hundreds of people bike the bridge each day. Just crossed the bridge today...in a 5 minute car crossing, saw 30 or 40 people crossing on bikes.

On 5/4/2023 at 1:23 AM, oakridger said:

Note in the schedule posted in #3 above by @GTJ that the last ferry leaving Sausalito to San Francisco is at 6:25 pm M-F. or 7:20 pm on the weekends and holidays.  You will need a pretty early dinner to finish in time.  I'm not familiar with the 130 bus route or if it has any drop off locations near the ship.

image.png.68988304f88a1657acbf960d6dae2dcb.png

Thank you,  I did research that. We have an early lunch and worst case if we miss that 7:20 if our dinner runs late, we'll Uber back to the HI FW,

Still want to take the Ferry Back though so we'll eat fast. 🙂

Thanks again.

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Philob said:

It's not the actual bridge I would worry about it's the City streets that would scare me.  

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

It's not the actual bridge I would worry about it's the City streets that would scare me.  

Some people might be scared of operating a bicycle on the streets, just as I have a fear of operating a motor vehicle (so I don't). While there are sometimes segregated bicycle paths that might alleviate the fear, if it is truly something that is disconcerting, then don't. San Francisco has other means of transportation, and is good for walking, for bus and streetcar, for ferry and cruise. All that being said, however, a very large number of people do use bicycles to travel around San Francisco, and it is a reasonable means of seeing the city, requiring no special licensure or other preparation.

5 hours ago, GTJ said:

Some people might be scared of operating a bicycle on the streets, just as I have a fear of operating a motor vehicle (so I don't). While there are sometimes segregated bicycle paths that might alleviate the fear, if it is truly something that is disconcerting, then don't. San Francisco has other means of transportation, and is good for walking, for bus and streetcar, for ferry and cruise. All that being said, however, a very large number of people do use bicycles to travel around San Francisco, and it is a reasonable means of seeing the city, requiring no special licensure or other preparation.

I lived 90 minutes from SF and traveled there frequently for work and leisure.  I'm well aware of the traffic situation and it sucks and always has.  I wouldn't say "a very large number of people use bicycles" many do but most walk or use public transit.  Bike lanes do help but you still have to share those with the crazy drivers.       

12 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I wouldn't say "a very large number of people use bicycles" many do but most walk or use public transit.  Bike lanes do help but you still have to share those with the crazy drivers.       

I live in the City. In additional human power there are now a lot of e-bikes, e-scooters, and e-skateboards.