Quantum no longer stopping in Skagway?

We'll try to make the most of ISP, but I just looked and the Norwegian Bliss has already been planned to be there 7am-3pm, a ~4500 passenger ship.  We arrive at noon.  ISP is a tiny port.  It will be interesting, once excursions open up, if anything worthwhile is still available. 

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Exactly, this is a once in a lifetime trip for our group of 16.  Last year I scoured itineraries and cruise lines to insure our best cruise experience.  Skagway was critical to that decision. 

Background:  My sisters and I sent my parents on an Alaskan cruise (on Celebrity) over 20 years ago for their 35th wedding anniversary.  The two port highlights for them were the train in Skagway, and the wales in Juneau.  For our July cruise on the Quantum, our group of 16 (my parents, siblings, grandkids) were going to recreate their experience by all doing the White Pass train together.  I can't say how sad this makes me feel.  My parents are in their mid-late 70's now.  We won't be able to do this again.  So frustrated with Royal.  This is the real implications of their decisions.  I'm sure we're not alone.

The landslide is nothing new, but they decided bait us in knowing full well the circumstances.  The cruise is far less attractive with Icy Straight Point instead of Skagway.   Royal knows this.  They wanted to keep their itineraries attractive.  Fill the ship, keep the cruise fare high. 

This has obliterated our (and many others I would guess) once in a lifetime opportunity with our family in Skagway.  😢😢😢  Thanks for listening to my sob story.

I've never reached out to Royal to state my frustration, but I feel the need in this case.  Is there an email contact that will get somewhere where it actually gets read and replied to?

I'm so sorry.  Royal should make it a choice if you want to cancel the cruise and get a refund or credit.  Not just be like "Oh well". But I know, I know it states in the cruise contract that they can change the ports.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

People don’t seem to understand its happening to cruise ships on other cruise lines as well, not just royal caribbean. There was a report that discovery princess isn’t going in july. Also, none of the cruise lines have been upfront with their passengers so think again if you would have known if you were on another cruise line. Glad i’m on the brilliance sailing, i’ve been to skagway before and no need to do it again.

Your post has peaked my interest.  We are on the Royal Princess, sister to Discovery and we have Skagway on our June 13th itinerary.  Our dock, I believe is the front RR.  We have not received any notification of a change but realize that it could come.

7 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Your post has peaked my interest.  We are on the Royal Princess, sister to Discovery and we have Skagway on our June 13th itinerary.  Our dock, I believe is the front RR.  We have not received any notification of a change but realize that it could come.

From my research, it seems as though Princess has more history and "pull" in Alaska vs. other cruise lines, i.e. Glacier Bay

I hope for your sake you get to keep Skagway on your itinerary.  It's only select ships that are being cancelled.  We lost out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I'm not sure if people have read this thread. It explains the situation with the different docks.

Thank you.

So they knew this was the case 3+ months ago yet decided not to cancel the port until now.  Now we have no opportunity for other options.  Now we’re beyond final payment and have since booked all airfare.  According to that post Holland America was notifying cancellation of the port sometime before Feb 8.

We’ll survive.  We are positive people. However this really, really rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

7 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

From my research, it seems as though Princess has more history and "pull" in Alaska vs. other cruise lines, i.e. Glacier Bay

I hope for your sake you get to keep Skagway on your itinerary.  It's only select ships that are being cancelled.  We lost out.

After reading your post I can understand your frustration with RCI. I am sorry the cruise will not be what you had hoped.  May your voyage be filled with wonderful new memories. 

As for Skagway, we are OK if we skip the town -- we prefer ISP.  I know ISP is not for everyone, but it is for us. 

Just now, Italy52 said:

After reading your post I can understand your frustration with RCI. I am sorry the cruise will not be what you had hoped.  May your voyage be filled with wonderful new memories. 

As for Skagway, we are OK if we skip the town -- we prefer ISP.  I know ISP is not for everyone, but it is for us. 

Thank you very much.

You offer a glimmer of hope.  🙂

My parents are bummed, but they did say they really liked the stroll along the water in ISP when they were there 20+ years ago.  We’ll try to make lemonade 🍋 out of lemons.  Who knows

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Exactly, this is a once in a lifetime trip for our group of 16.  Last year I scoured itineraries and cruise lines to insure our best cruise experience.  Skagway was critical to that decision. 

Background:  My sisters and I sent my parents on an Alaskan cruise (on Celebrity) over 20 years ago for their 35th wedding anniversary.  The two port highlights for them were the train in Skagway, and the wales in Juneau.  For our July cruise on the Quantum, our group of 16 (my parents, siblings, grandkids) were going to recreate their experience by all doing the White Pass train together.  I can't say how sad this makes me feel.  My parents are in their mid-late 70's now.  We won't be able to do this again.  So frustrated with Royal.  This is the real implications of their decisions.  I'm sure we're not alone.

The landslide is nothing new, but they decided bait us in knowing full well the circumstances.  The cruise is far less attractive with Icy Straight Point instead of Skagway.   Royal knows this.  They wanted to keep their itineraries attractive.  Fill the ship, keep the cruise fare high. 

This has obliterated our (and many others I would guess) once in a lifetime opportunity with our family in Skagway.  😢😢😢  Thanks for listening to my sob story.

I've never reached out to Royal to state my frustration, but I feel the need in this case.  Is there an email contact that will get somewhere where it actually gets read and replied to?

That's so disappointing. I'm sorry this has happened this way. I would be really upset as well, especially considering the circumstances. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thank you.

So they knew this was the case 3+ months ago yet decided not to cancel the port until now.  Now we have no opportunity for other options.  Now we’re beyond final payment and have since booked all airfare.  According to that post Holland America was notifying cancellation of the port sometime before Feb 8.

We’ll survive.  We are positive people. However this really, really rubs me the wrong way.

I am so sorry about your situation, and you definitely have my sympathies. I'm in complete agreement that RCL is wrong and should have at a minimum, provided a disclaimer that the Skagway port was in jeopardy prior to the 90 day final payment date.

I hope you and your family ultimately enjoy your cruise despite this setback.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fishiecrackers said:

That's so disappointing. I'm sorry this has happened this way. I would be really upset as well, especially considering the circumstances. 

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Sorry, i'd be really upset too. 

39 minutes ago, chazzinator8 said:

I am so sorry about your situation, and you definitely have my sympathies. I'm in complete agreement that RCL is wrong and should have at a minimum, provided a disclaimer that the Skagway port was in jeopardy prior to the 90 day final payment date.

I hope you and your family ultimately enjoy your cruise despite this setback.

Thank you all.  I’m going through the phases.  Almost approaching “acceptance“. 🙂  You know the phrase “Best-laid plans…”

This won’t ruin our cruise as I’m sure we will have MANY, MANY other fun things along the way.  I just wish we knew sooner so that we possibly could have made adjustments or cancelled in favor of alternatives.  I agree that they should have let us know at time of booking or at least before final payment that Skagway was so high risk. 

• Like 3

Prepare to get more upset……

we are on july 24 Quantum

they dropped skagway and substituted Icy Straight. Ok fine but……

the port of Sitka the day before was changed from 930 arrival to noon! 🤬

All morning excursions (I have 3 private) need cancelled. At this late date there will be NO availability in the afternoon. We’re screwed.

they did extend stay in Sitka from 5pm to 730pm. Doesnt help. 

why would rccl change arrival, when previous day is at sea, and changed port is day after?

14 minutes ago, pinebro said:

why would rccl change arrival, when previous day is at sea, and changed port is day after?

a common reason why the arrival time changes is because of ship speed. if they can reduce the fuel usage by going slower then they will adjust the arrival time to get there later in the day

Shof515…while thats true, the distance from sitka to skagway is at least double the distance to ISP-so they save fuel here. Didnt need to delay sitka arrival, and screw up 3000 peoples plans…..

unless of course they are hiding a propulsion issue again

Edited by pinebro

12 hours ago, pinebro said:

All morning excursions (I have 3 private) need cancelled. At this late date there will be NO availability in the afternoon. We’re screwed.

Oh wow. I would be livid if Skagway excursions AND Sitka excursions got cancelled. I’m so sorry that happened to you, and I hope that you’re able to find suitable substitute plans in Sitka.

I’m on Quantum June 19-26 and we’re getting Icy Straight Point instead of Skagway, but I haven’t received a notice regarding changing Sitka arrival time. I wonder why it’d change for one itinerary and not all identical itineraries? Unless, of course, my notice is coming and I just haven’t received it yet…

Alaska2023 RCI IT dept at it again……if you search for alaska, quantum, june, it gives 2 dates (if you look at itinerary there it shows 1159am arrival) yet if you choose either date then check itinerary there it shows 930am arrival.

Still, why the time change for Sitka?

Currently onboard the Quantum. We are 2 days from arriving in Vancouver...just happened to be walking by guest services.

I asked guest services: "Why  is the Quantum not stopping in Skagway?"

I was informed that: "Shoreside decided not to stop in Skagway due to the rock slide and to give passengers a better experience".

* That response was read directly from their computer. 

On 5/5/2023 at 9:36 AM, pinebro said:

Are you in Juneau the previous day?  If so, it's a very long haul to Sitka through some restricted channels with speed limits.

16 hours ago, pinebro said:

Wolfie no we have a day at sea the day before.

It's hard to tell without knowing your exact itinerary, but often delayed arrival times are due to longer distances to steam between ports, speed or tide restrictions, or there may not be a berth available in the morning.

On 5/3/2023 at 7:51 AM, Ret MP said:

I just sent an email to:  skagwayinfo@skagway.org.  Asking about this.  We'll see if they answer or answer with a straight answer.  

image.jpeg.24fd9d31b6afe595c0f552a2d6d6da0e.jpeg

As I suspected, no answer, yet.  Very rude!  At least some type of response even if they tell me to go to ............

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 5:58 AM, woostercruise said:

Having not done Alaska before I'm wondering if Quantum and Ovation are really just too big to be doing Alaska?

No offense to RCL fans, but that is exactly why we cruise HAL (Holland America) for Alaska  - being smaller ships, they can go places the larger ships can't go.

Not that HAL (or any cruiseline/ship) is immune to berthing issues or Acts of God/construction delays/...

Truly sorry you will miss out on Skagway. ISP is not a comparable port, but does have unique offerings (nothing can replace the White Pass train ride, so let's not pretend) - we did a bear watching hike a couple years ago that was fabulous and not offered in other port.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

why we cruise HAL (Holland America) for Alaska  - being smaller ships, they can go places the larger ships can't go

I’m just trying to learn…. What exact ports does HAL smaller ships go that Royal larger ships cannot go?

Edited by Hoopster95