Live from Ms Volendam Pacific Coastal Heading for Vancouver

Crew News

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

Lovely.  More ridiculous receipts.  I stopped signing them last November.  What a waste of time for everyone.

I am happy to hear that the theater is actually showing movies and the cookies are good!

Thanks @Crew News

~Nancy

Cookies are tasty but hard.  If all HAL ships could use the same recipe as the chewy Pinnacle-class cookies, life would be good.

6 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Can you ask if you upgrade to the elite drink package if it’s 15 alcohol drinks and unlimited other? I don’t care myself but it seems that there was discussion about this not being true.  I understand you only pay the difference for drinks over $11 in the signature package.  I’m just wondering about the validity of the information for the elite package.  Thanks.

I shall inquire from the Beverage Manager.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 10:25 AM, Cruise Suzy said:

squatchee

Have appreciated all your menus, schedules, etc.

If you could find out what the new Canaletto "Special of the Day" entrees are and if they follow a set pattern, I'd be grateful. I've seen the new menus from Wednesday and Saturday posted on CC, but no mention if they follow a pattern as the former Specials did.

The new menus have yet to reach the Volendam and the LIdo Manager says not to expect them soon since they require crew training as well as provisioning.  I will ask again next week on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Interesting- just off Volendam in San Diego. We ate In Canaletto twice and got no receipt to sign. I wonder why they would start that again.

Tonight is my free PG and I will see if I get a receipt to sign.  IMHO it is a wave across the US to intimidate you to add a tip.  Maybe if I eat by myself it will not happen. 

Its only a matter of time for the MDR to start signing for your meal and tip.  We shall see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

I shall inquire from the Beverage Manager.

My apologies but I have two conflicting answers.  I will now turn to just building a consensus from the different bars.  Stay tuned.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, vlbradley21 said:

What food is available in Exploration cafe? Just cookies/pastries?

All that I have seen are an almond muffin, chocolate biscotti, and a chocolate macaroon.  All quite tasty and free.

• Like 1

Used to be finger sandwiches in the afternoons in Exploration cafe. is it still offered? Our last trip was on a full capacity Kdam, there was never anything anywhere due to all those people grabbing the free snacks. Never got a peanut butter cookie from the Lido

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That’s the crazy thing.  Hard to get a straight answer.  Thanks.

The ship's only sommelier, who promotes the packages, replied that one could have 10 Diet Cokes in addition to the 15 limit.  A beverage manager said everything counts towards the 15 in both packages. I will continue asking and do so next week aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Since every transaction must be logged-in, the accounting system is the final determiner.  Sounds like a question for the "night auditor".

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The ship's only sommelier, who promotes the packages, replied that one could have 10 Diet Cokes in addition to the 15 limit.  A beverage manager said everything counts towards the 15 in both packages. I will continue asking and do so next week aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Since every transaction must be logged-in, the accounting system is the final determiner.  Sounds like a question for the "night auditor".

Oh yes, the night auditor. Some on this board say there is not a non alcohol limit with such conviction it's quite funny. I appreciate your efforts on this.

Even today....as we speak (write) HAL has conflicting information.  From HAL this was in my confirmation for May 2024 cruise:

image.png.122f5d854848edafeb38c8ec8ba88adf.png

And under my booking in Manage My Booking is this (my bolding):

"Our premium, Elite Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails, non-alcoholic beverages, sodas, bottled water (sparkling or still, 400ml or less) & coffee. Only on the ms Koningsdam & ms Nieuw Statendam, the package includes Freestyle Coca-Cola which provides 100+ refreshing Coca-Cola flavors to choose from. Includes any beverage priced at $15.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). Prices are per day at $49.95 if pre-booked online compared to $59.95 if purchased on board. A 18% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The Elite Beverage Package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. The package excludes purchases made in the Mini Bar, Chocolate Seduction, Room Service, beverages purchased on Half Moon Cay and any self-service draft beer. Packages are non-transferable or refundable. No sharing is permitted. Participants may order only one drink at a time and must be 21 years or older. Beverage Management reserves the right to evoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to" intoxicated guests.

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

All that I have seen are an almond muffin, chocolate biscotti, and a chocolate macaroon.  All quite tasty and free.

One day last week I saw the chocolate truffles. That was mid afternoon. Also saw some Lido pastries.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Oh yes, the night auditor. Some on this board say there is not a non alcohol limit with such conviction it's quite funny. I appreciate your efforts on this.

Per the Cellar Master on board, "No limit on zero-proof beverages with Elite Package."  When asked about 20 Diet cokes for free, the answer was, "Yes".  I will post the latest rules on my website later this evening.

• Thanks 2

Thanks so much @Crew News!  I am keeping my written confirmation for my next cruise just in case but I have never actually run up against the 15 total drink limit.  My next cruise is a TA so I suppose it's possible though!

~Nancy

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

As promised, here is the latest beverage package contents.  Note the upper left description of the Elite Package on the second page.

Beverage Packages Contents (5/4/23)

• Thanks 4

Well Hallelujah @Crew News!!!  There it all is in glorious color! It's great that the FAQ spell out the answers to most of the questions I have heard from people.

Now the HAL forum can move on to other very important topics, like what time is the Orange Party!

😁

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

One day last week I saw the chocolate truffles. That was mid afternoon. Also saw some Lido pastries.

Explorations Cafe Snack Schedule:

6:30 - 10:30  croissants

10:30 - 2:30  brownie and blueberry muffins

2:30 - 6:30  almond tart and chocolate macaroons

6:30 - 10:30   chocolate-oovered Krispies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first of two sea days began with heavy overcast skies and a intermittent rain until evening when the sun peeked periodically through the cloud cover.

A lazy day began for me with a PG lunch to continue my search for what changes have occurred since my last cruise.  While questioning the Sommelier about the Elite Beverage Package, the adjacent table revealed that some of them were indeed transferring to the Nieuw Amsterdam and staying at the Pan Pacific as I had planned for this weekend. I was able to help one of them set up a Meet & Greet for their 200+ roll call for a Med cruise.  I truly enjoyed the beefsteak tomato salad. 

I returned to the PG for dinner and was again amazed as I departed 65 minutes after walking to the podium by the front door.  Excellent and expedited service overcame the small scallops I was served.  I posted a kudo for my server on the Navigator app.

The 7:30 PM Contare show was just OK as I kept comparing them to the original group I was fortunate to experience 10 years ago on their initial HAL tour. 

Miscellaneous Notes:

·       Current passengers:  1064 with 74 departing in Victoria.

·       Next week passengers:  1400

·       One Sommelier on R-class ships, two on Vista-class, three on S-class, and 4/5 on Pinnacle class.

·       My Room Steward duo has 33 staterooms.

·       Posted latest bar menus and beverage package contents & rules

·       Provided Explorations Café snack rotation times

With my Butchart Gardens cancelled and heavy rain predicted in Victoria, my day will probably be a movie and work on one of my downloaded Great Courses

More tomorrow.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, vlbradley21 said:

I just want to say how thankful I am for this thread!  We travel for the first time on this ship in June and this information is very helpful.

Feel free to ask lots of questions until I disembark tomorrow.

FWIW I will report my disembarkation experience here tomorrow.  We did complete our customs forms onboard and the ship will take care of submitting them to the Canadian authorities for us.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:34 PM, oakridger said:

@Crew News I appreciate all your efforts, photos, menus and, well everything!   I'll be watching to see if the Volendam might be in my future considerations for cruises.  I have a hard time getting past her not offering regular veranda cabins/prices.  

Thanks,

~Nancy

We are booked on the Volendam for August next year from Boston to Montreal. If you want a balcony cabin you have to get a Vista Suite or higher. We are booked in a vista Suite for our cruise.