Live from Ms Volendam Pacific Coastal Heading for Vancouver

Crew News

28 minutes ago, Crew News said:

We did complete our customs forms onboard and the ship will take care of submitting them to the Canadian authorities for us.

This is interesting.  Thanks for the information.  I’m trying to recall the process when I did a Pacific Coastal, disembarking in Vancouver following a stop in Victoria.  I do recall having to hand the Customs Declaration Card to the CBSA Officer upon disembarking following an Alaska cruise but I cannot, for the life of me, remember what happened on the Pacific Coastal. 

13 hours ago, Crew News said:

As promised, here is the latest beverage package contents.  Note the upper left description of the Elite Package on the second page.

Beverage Packages Contents (5/4/23)

Wow - many changes in the new packages. Far fewer choices in the SBP. Some moved up to the elite package and some gone completely. All in all, quite disappointing.

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

As promised, here is the latest beverage package contents.  Note the upper left description of the Elite Package on the second page.

Beverage Packages Contents (5/4/23)

is this actually a comprehensive list of the brands they are pouring? There is no Jack Daniel’s-one of the top selling whiskeys in the world, to use as an example.  Or is the beverage list just what you can count on being available?

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

is this actually a comprehensive list of the brands they are pouring? There is no Jack Daniel’s-one of the top selling whiskeys in the world, to use as an example.  Or is the beverage list just what you can count on being available?

I think it is just an oversight carried over from the 2021 version.  Note that all bars do not carry all brands for this season.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, Crew News said:

Tonight is my free PG and I will see if I get a receipt to sign.  IMHO it is a wave across the US to intimidate you to add a tip.  Maybe if I eat by myself it will not happen. 

Its only a matter of time for the MDR to start signing for your meal and tip.  We shall see.

Nothing to sign for the free PG meal.  Interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Nothing to sign for the free PG meal.  Interesting.

Sometimes they ask me to sign for my free meal - I refuse to do so as knowing how messed up HAL's accounting can be I do not want to see it added to my account.  I ,just mention to the manager that it is free and that seems to work.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are booked on the Volendam for August next year from Boston to Montreal. If you want a balcony cabin you have to get a Vista Suite or higher. We are booked in a vista Suite for our cruise.

Yes I think that known but it doesn’t sweeten the pot to know that.  On the old ships for me to go it has to be either cheap or a great itinerary and fits into my miniature window of time when I can be gone.  I’m not interested in paying super high prices for a balcony on a ship with no amenities I’m interested in.   

• Like 1

@Crew Newsi wonder if I could ask another favor.  If possible could you go up to the lido tonight and see if there is a station you can go to get freshly grilled meat?  I say there is no such thing as a “fresh grill” but some say there is.  I’ve never seen anything like it, nor have I seen it on the lido menu.  If you don’t have time I completely understand.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are booked on the Volendam for August next year from Boston to Montreal. If you want a balcony cabin you have to get a Vista Suite or higher. We are booked in a vista Suite for our cruise.

Thanks @terrydtx.  I realized very early in my cruising career that I really do spend time on and enjoy having a balcony in all climates.  The Volendam and Zaandam problem is that I don't want to pay the premium for a Vista Suite in order to have that balcony. I usually sail solo so that's double the premium charge for me!!   I no longer attach any value to double Mariner points since I've reached the all-important "Free Laundry" stage! 😁

That said, I have revisited the idea of the Volendam Lanai cabins and think I would enjoy them on an itinerary that I was interested in.  I'm keeping an eye on those.

~Nancy

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Thanks @terrydtx.  I realized very early in my cruising career that I really do spend time on and enjoy having a balcony in all climates.  The Volendam and Zaandam problem is that I don't want to pay the premium for a Vista Suite in order to have that balcony. I usually sail solo so that's double the premium charge for me!!   I no longer attach any value to double Mariner points since I've reached the all-important "Free Laundry" stage! 😁

That said, I have revisited the idea of the Volendam Lanai cabins and think I would enjoy them on an itinerary that I was interested in.  I'm keeping an eye on those.

~Nancy

Same.  It’s hugely important for me to have a balcony more on the hot weather than cold but still.  My very favorite time of the day is about 5:30 or 6 am when most of the ship is still asleep and just listening to the waves and the quiet.  I spend most of my time outside because I live most of my structured life indoors.

24 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Same.  It’s hugely important for me to have a balcony more on the hot weather than cold but still.  My very favorite time of the day is about 5:30 or 6 am when most of the ship is still asleep and just listening to the waves and the quiet.  I spend most of my time outside because I live most of my structured life indoors.

Ha ha @Florida_gal_50!!  You like the balcony "morning shift" and I'll take the "Night shift"!!  My favorite time is late at night before going to bed watching, smelling and listening to the ocean and sky!!

Often with my book/Kindle and a glass of wine in hand!  Dreaming about my next cruise......😊

~Nancy

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Ha ha @Florida_gal_50!!  You like the balcony "morning shift" and I'll take the "Night shift"!!  My favorite time is late at night before going to bed watching, smelling and listening to the ocean and sky!!

Often with my book/Kindle and a glass of wine in hand!  Dreaming about my next cruise......😊

~Nancy

I’m usually in my jammies watching a movie 😛 at night.  I can’t seem to get out of my work mode early wake up no matter what.

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

@Crew Newsi wonder if I could ask another favor.  If possible could you go up to the lido tonight and see if there is a station you can go to get freshly grilled meat?  I say there is no such thing as a “fresh grill” but some say there is.  I’ve never seen anything like it, nor have I seen it on the lido menu.  If you don’t have time I completely understand.  Thanks.

We were on the Volendam for the full Grand South America voyage 74 Days ending in March 2023.  I can confirm that behind the area where you pick up meat items there is a high grill where the meat, fish, etc would be cooked.  Many a night we waited for fresh items.  Usually no more than five minute wait.. That grill is on both sides off the  lido.

7 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

We were on the Volendam for the full Grand South America voyage 74 Days ending in March 2023.  I can confirm that behind the area where you pick up meat items there is a high grill where the meat, fish, etc would be cooked.  Many a night we waited for fresh items.  Usually no more than five minute wait.. That grill is on both sides off the  lido.

Thank you.  I’m wondering more for shorter cruises.  I will never get on a cruise that long and I would expect it to be different than let’s say a couple week cruise.  I sure hope it’s better anyway on longer cruises but the menus I did look at for the world cruise didn’t seem like anything to write home about.

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I am certain that I answered this before I went to dinner so I will give it another attempt.

As I approached the Lido Market Entree Station to pose your question, I noted a cook placing raw minute steaks (tonight's Lido Market dinner menu) on the flat top grill.  On the other side of the grill were a few raw salmon fillets.

• Thanks 1

I waved to all y’all.  I’m on the Eurodam and we’re docked next to you tonight in Victoria,   My cabin faces the Volendam.  I’m the last balcony before the wraparound aft cabins and I’m at the end of the Volendam.

Could tell the Alaska season has definitely started - as we were coming down the Strait toward Victoria there was what looked like an NCL ship and a Princess ship heading up the Strait.   I feel lucky that only Ketchikan had another ship in when we were there and it (the Grand Princess) arrived a few hours after us so we didn’t get the crowd for a little while. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

I am certain that I answered this before I went to dinner so I will give it another attempt.

As I approached the Lido Market Entree Station to pose your question, I noted a cook placing raw minute steaks (tonight's Lido Market dinner menu) on the flat top grill.  On the other side of the grill were a few raw salmon fillets.

Thank you!  Do you by chance remember which station that was at?  Is it homestead?  I “think” that is where the entrees usually are.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

15 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

@Crew News... I say there is no such thing as a “fresh grill” but some say there is.  I’ve never seen anything like it, nor have I seen it on the lido menu.  

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

Thank you @Crew News.. You are the fourth person to confirm there is a 'fresh grill' on HAL. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oakridger said:

Our first HAL cruise was in one of those Lanai cabins on the Volendam, and we were very disappointed in the cabin. Outside our door that opened on the Promenade deck were 2 deck chairs that were supposed to be reserved for our use, and we found other passengers in them all the time. At times it was also very noisy from people standing on the deck outside our cabin. On our August 2024 11 day Volendam cruise from Boston to Montreal the difference between a Lania cabin and Vista suite is only $500pp, and for us worth the extra cost.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Our first HAL cruise was in one of those Lanai cabins on the Volendam, and we were very disappointed in the cabin. Outside our door than opened on the Promenade deck were 2 deck chairs that were supposed to be reserved for our use, and we found other passengers in them all the time. At times it was also very noisy from people standing on the deck outside our cabin.

People don’t realize how loud their voice is. When I’ve had cabins on that deck on old ships I’d be wanting to sleep and people would be outside talking for hours.  For sure this is something to remember.  It amazes me how people just ignore the signs on the chairs.  Clearly that’s for others, not them 😛.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you!  Do you by chance remember which station that was at?  Is it homestead?  I “think” that is where the entrees usually are.

The grill is at the Homestead Station but there is no large sign with that name, just an "Entree" banner.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, seaoma said:

We were on the Volendam for 81 days December to March and their Bourbon selection was pitiful.  It was the well Jim Beam and Bulleit.   No Jack D,  couldn't be they couldn't procure it because it was for sale in the store.   HA on the Pinnacle ships sets a benchmark for Bourbon and whiskies.   If I hadn't caused a stink about Laphraoig I would have asked for more bourbon selections.   Thankfully we were on a 7 day prior to the GSA so they would put the Laphraoig on board.   

Thanks @Crew News for updating on the latest in what is happening on HA.   

Our last day began and ended in the rain.

With my Butchart Gardens cancelled and the ship nearly empty, it was a great time take photos of the public venues.  While photographing he Wayang theater, I was compelled to rescue a bag of popcorn from certain waste in the empty theater.  It turned out be the best popcorn in my many HAL cruises!

On another food note, the Dessert Station seemed always out of chocolate chip cookies but if you ask for one, they bring more from the kitchen. 

My second dinner in the PG was masterful as I waited no longer than three minutes between courses and was out the door in 65 minutes. 

I was able to get the table map for both MDR levels and will be posting it soon.

The disembarkation process departing the ship was smooth and no waiting lines at 9:00 AM.  FWIW the announcements about color tags should be prefaced with, “Your luggage is moved from the ship based on your tag color so departing early means your luggage is not yet in the terminal.” Nobody was checking tag colors.  With several ships in port, passengers with luggage funneled to the exit doors.  Lots of signs and personnel to guide you to your transportation.  For those staying at the Pan Pacific Hotel post cruise, only one elevator was working.  Recommend you board any elevator, up or down, as what goes down must eventually go up. I was able to check-in immediately.

Thank you to those who posted.  I hope all of your questions were answered and you gained a bit of knowledge to help in your cruise planning.

And so this journey ends. Food that I did not need to prepare, clothing that I did not have to launder, and new friends made will ensure that I savor this relaxing journey.

Tomorrow begins a new journey to Alaska.  Please check-out my live Nieuw Amsterdam 14-Day Alaska thread.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3