How to succeed in booking a group cruise

Linsuesue

I have been asked by a group of retirees to help them book a group cruise.  They previously used an online vacation planner to book one cruise and it was a dismal failure. I have sailed on Carnival quite a few times, but never as a group. Does anybody have any tips or tricks to get a group planner? All suggestions welcome! I think we could end up booking 15+ rooms. The goal is to get the group members to share any discounts or benefits instead of having the travel planner end up with the benefits.

As I'm sure you're aware, asking us to suggest a specific Travel Agent, or even us just suggesting a specific travel agent is against the rules.

I would recommend though that you talk to friends, even maybe actually interview 3 or 4 brick and mortar agents in your area.  Ask them very specific questions but definitely use a travel agent to help you set this up.

Don't forget to purchase travel insurance either. And don't buy the travel agents policy. While they do make a generous commission on the sale of the policy, very few actually know what's covered nor will they be there to help if needed. Check out and CALL an insurance broker like TripInsuranceStore.com or InsureMyTrip.com

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

As I'm sure you're aware, asking us to suggest a specific Travel Agent, or even us just suggesting a specific travel agent is against the rules.

I would recommend though that you talk to friends, even maybe actually interview 3 or 4 brick and mortar agents in your area.  Ask them very specific questions but definitely use a travel agent to help you set this up.

Don't forget to purchase travel insurance either. And don't buy the travel agents policy. While they do make a generous commission on the sale of the policy, very few actually know what's covered nor will they be there to help if needed. Check out and CALL an insurance broker like TripInsuranceStore.com or InsureMyTrip.com

I dont expect anybody to name a Carnival employee or any travel planner! The group has no intention of using another travel planner either. I know from my individual bookings that there can be conflicting information depending on whoever answers the customer service/booking number. I know many employees in reservations work remotely. I was hoping to get more tips about the benefits of booking a group, because the hope is everyone who books will get a discount, onboard credit, or incentive to get a group together. I personally dont know anyone who has ever booked a group for a cruise, but I am thinking a couple of us can handle the details through the group booking number.  We already have a list of questions to ask. 

7 hours ago, Linsuesue said:

I dont expect anybody to name a Carnival employee or any travel planner! The group has no intention of using another travel planner either. I know from my individual bookings that there can be conflicting information depending on whoever answers the customer service/booking number. I know many employees in reservations work remotely. I was hoping to get more tips about the benefits of booking a group, because the hope is everyone who books will get a discount, onboard credit, or incentive to get a group together. I personally dont know anyone who has ever booked a group for a cruise, but I am thinking a couple of us can handle the details through the group booking number.  We already have a list of questions to ask. 

Call the book groupings number with Carnival.  They will give you the rates for the rooms depending on how many etc.  This will then be the "discount" for all you are looking for (because every room should have a reduced rate).  You can easily compare the same room type doing a mock booking and see what the actual discounted rate is you are being offered and advise everyone "If we all book 15 rooms together they are $500 per room, standard booking rate is $700 per room" (just as an example)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking from experience (did something similar years ago for "friends" and they needed 8-10 cabins at the time they asked me to do it) my advice to you is, do some research for them then put all the info together for them in a bullet point email (everything in writing).  List their options as you see it (ie...everyone book their own cabin...use a PVP and give them the phone number to call to get one...they can appoint a central contact to do the booking among themselves) and send it to the person that asked you (CC whomever).   

I will never do the bookings for a group again, it started out just fine but the changes, the wants and needs, the complaints, the additions and cancels etc) was never ending.  This taught me a very valuable lesson many years ago about people in general taking responsibility for their decisions (they dont in many cases as long as they have someone to blame and complain to).  Now I provide information in bullet points and give the info for this site as well,  then back away (and make it clear this is as far as I can go).  Good Luck!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

You really need an agent or somebody who has a lot of experience coordinating group cruises. It's a different skillset than just being a TA or what have you. If you don't know of one, then I agree with Blerk - start by calling Carnival's group sales department.

3 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

Speaking from experience (did something similar years ago for "friends" and they needed 8-10 cabins at the time they asked me to do it) my advice to you is, do some research for them then put all the info together for them in a bullet point email (everything in writing).  List their options as you see it (ie...everyone book their own cabin...use a PVP and give them the phone number to call to get one...they can appoint a central contact to do the booking among themselves) and send it to the person that asked you (CC whomever).   

I will never do the bookings for a group again, it started out just fine but the changes, the wants and needs, the complaints, the additions and cancels etc) was never ending.  This taught me a very valuable lesson many years ago about people in general taking responsibility for their decisions (they dont in many cases as long as they have someone to blame and complain to).  Now I provide information in bullet points and give the info for this site as well,  then back away (and make it clear this is as far as I can go).  Good Luck!!!

This is the kind of information I am looking for! I am hoping to learn about some of the pitfalls to help ease the process. I am willing to try it once, but like you, might end up running far away from doing it again.😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

This is the kind of information I am looking for! I am hoping to learn about some of the pitfalls to help ease the process. I am willing to try it once, but like you, might end up running far away from doing it again.😀

Trying to be fun, nice, and help others taught my wife a very valuable lesson when it came to putting together a "group" cruise.

Learned that everyone has a friend who says they could have found better pricing.

Found that half don't want to hang with a "group" while the other half won't step out of their house unless everything is pre-planned as a group.

Found that everyone wants to go, but at the end of the day, only a third will actually pay.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Trying to be fun, nice, and help others taught my wife a very valuable lesson when it came to putting together a "group" cruise.

Learned that everyone has a friend who says they could have found better pricing.

Found that half don't want to hang with a "group" while the other half won't step out of their house unless everything is pre-planned as a group.

Found that everyone wants to go, but at the end of the day, only a third will actually pay.

THIS...THIS...THIS...AND it does not end with the end of the cruise...anyone that had an issue on their account or found something that they were charged and shouldn't have been,  the phone calls after the cruise was over were just as bad as prior...

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

ESPECIALLY true if this is a family reunion type of thing...find a good TA or group guide or something, and give everyone that person's number. You are thinking you'll need 10 rooms, well that's before it comes down to brass tacks and people have to bust out their billfold. You might end up having 4 rooms booked. Everyone is all gung-ho to go until it's time to pay. Definitely don't book rooms on your dime.

• Like 2

I will tell you from booking a group trip that wasn't a cruise, I won't do a bulk one again without getting paid (aka giving up on my current job and becoming a TA. Not that that's happening, but still). I would absolutely go through a TA and let them deal with the headache. Smaller groups? Like I planned for my 2 friends and us for 2023, and planning a cruise with friends (4 adults and 2 teens) and I'm ok with that. But even then, all I did was help my friend with the booking, and looking into some excursions. The rest? I have anxiety thinking about it lol. 

• Like 1

I have booked for family and done 3 rooms for our group at a time.  That was bad enough trying to please everyone for hotel, air, cruise, transfers, exursions, dinning, wants/needs, etc.

I can't imagine doing it for 15+ rooms of people.  I could 100% pull it off and do it, but it wouldn't be worth the insane amount of work and headache that is going to come with that.

Honestly it is better off, as someone suggested, to help by gathering information and then providing it to each person and letting them book/pay/etc. themselves.  I don't think I would even bother with trying to get the discounted stuff as a group (though I am saying that because I can't imagine the savings is that much, but I could be wrong).  Just pick a cruise, then research pricing, options, add on's and pricing put a sheet together and then let those that want to book and go.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 3

Just now, klfrodo said:

I hear you! Bear in mind it will be a group of retirees so I am sure there will be a zillion questions. You are spot on about the insurance! The last 3 cruises I was on had big medical emergencies. We took a 14 day cruise to Hawaii in January. 5 days there-4 days in Hawaii-5 days back. 20 hours after we left port we had to turn back to get close enough to California to have a Coast Guard Helicopter reach the ship in the middle of the night. We lost one day in Hawaii for backtracking. Thankfully, the gentleman with the heart problem got the surgery he needed and was OK.  I can only imagine what the bill for that would be. From now on, Mykolaiv 15 day itineraries will be more port intensive.

20 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

THIS...THIS...THIS...AND it does not end with the end of the cruise...anyone that had an issue on their account or found something that they were charged and shouldn't have been,  the phone calls after the cruise was over were just as bad as prior...

That sounds like a nightmare. I would hope once you stepped off the ship the group cruise was done. Some of our group has cruised quite a bit before, so I am thinking we would encounter less surprises from them.

30 minutes ago, mz-s said:

ESPECIALLY true if this is a family reunion type of thing...find a good TA or group guide or something, and give everyone that person's number. You are thinking you'll need 10 rooms, well that's before it comes down to brass tacks and people have to bust out their billfold. You might end up having 4 rooms booked. Everyone is all gung-ho to go until it's time to pay. Definitely don't book rooms on your dime.

Great advice and I wont pay for any rooms other than my own!

What is your point in wanting to book this group cruise?

Are you trying to be kind-hearted? Do you think you will be getting some kind of travel agent experience? Do you think you are doing them a "favor?"

Well, unpaid work at this level is just silly. 

There is a reason most large group bookings give a free cabin to the organizer- that person deserves a gift for all the time spent organizing.  Nowadays most large group bookings are overseen by an expert agency that will work directly with all the individuals traveling to: discuss payment options and deadlines, take deposits by card or check, explain the different cabin sizes and prices, dining options, shore excursions, etc., etc. They may also have to address travel logistics, such as flights, insurance, extras, changes, etc.

I've been involved with several group cruise bookings, including with my own family, and I also second those above who say Never Again. I especially shudder at wondering why the previous booking was a "dismal failure,"--could it really be only the fault of the vacation planner, or did the retirees have too many demands and needs that could not be met easily. The fact that they all want to "share" the incentives is already sending a message.

There are agents who specialize in group travel, and they will receive a nice commission for doing all that work, so you should be happy to delegate to them.  If you put yourself in the middle, you could be legally liable as well as emotionally distraught for any and all unhappy outcomes.  Think this over carefully before you commit- the effort is not as "fun" as you may think.

Good luck!

• Like 3

My brother is the one who has handled our family cruise bookings in the past. 

- First time, smallest group.  No problems.

- Second time, largest group.  The shut down of 2020 was an issue and he heard from EVERYONE about the delay in getting refunds.

- Third time, only one cabin more than the first time, so what could happen?  A positive covid test, that's what.  My brother had to get the cabin canceled and submit his niece's test results.  Somehow, her credit card, which wasn't supposed to be linked to my cabin, was, and my charging privileges got shut down on the ship.  (Guest services fixed that, thank goodness.)  But this made it his "never again" group cruise coordinator effort.

- Fourth cruise, larger group.   My brother did find an online TA that specializes in groups and gave everyone that TA's contact information.  The TA has collected all of the payments, has handled the cabin changes, etc.  My brother is the group "conductor", but it is really hands off for him, except to remind people of final payment dates, as a courtesy.  Yes, there is "conductor" type additional discount, but he had the option to spread it across everyone's balance due.

Why set up as a "group"?  In our cases, it was in hopes of cabin discounts, of course.  But also to get all of our cabins linked up in the main dining room.  I think that the first time and the third time we might have received some kind of cabin credit, too.  (It varied by cabin, though.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mmtska said:

I will tell you from booking a group trip that wasn't a cruise, I won't do a bulk one again without getting paid (aka giving up on my current job and becoming a TA. Not that that's happening, but still). I would absolutely go through a TA and let them deal with the headache. Smaller groups? Like I planned for my 2 friends and us for 2023, and planning a cruise with friends (4 adults and 2 teens) and I'm ok with that. But even then, all I did was help my friend with the booking, and looking into some excursions. The rest? I have anxiety thinking about it lol. 

There are an amazing amount of details to just booking 1 cabin for 2! My husband has never planned a vacation and just gets surprised with whatever I plan 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

There are an amazing amount of details to just booking 1 cabin for 2! My husband has never planned a vacation and just gets surprised with whatever I plan 😀

OMG hilarious.  24 years married and I tell everyone.  He just shows up.  He doesn't even pack his own clothes lol!  He doesn't even pick out what he is wearing when we leave for the airport (it is already on a hanger waiting for him).  

Works for us.  I am a meticulous person/planner.  He hates anything to do with it, is happy to just get dressed and go.  He does offer input on excursions, that's it.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

OMG same! He's like why are you obsessing over it??? Um I have an obsessive personality and DO YOU NOT HAVE AN AMAZING TIME???? HMMMMMMM?? lol

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wemjam said:

OMG hilarious.  24 years married and I tell everyone.  He just shows up.  He doesn't even pack his own clothes lol!  He doesn't even pick out what he is wearing when we leave for the airport (it is already on a hanger waiting for him).  

Works for us.  I am a meticulous person/planner.  He hates anything to do with it, is happy to just get dressed and go.  He does offer input on excursions, that's it.

You and I could be twins separated at birth!🤪 We just finished a cruise from Miami-Panama Canal-Los Angeles. I am anal about planning.  My husband even asked me which excursion we were doing in Seattle! He will never hear the end of that 😀

17 minutes ago, mmtska said:

OMG same! He's like why are you obsessing over it??? Um I have an obsessive personality and DO YOU NOT HAVE AN AMAZING TIME???? HMMMMMMM?? lol

My thoughts exactly! Us meticulous wives should start a travel planning group called, “Surprise Your Husband Cruises!”😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MississippiMom said:

My brother is the one who has handled our family cruise bookings in the past. 

- First time, smallest group.  No problems.

- Second time, largest group.  The shut down of 2020 was an issue and he heard from EVERYONE about the delay in getting refunds.

- Third time, only one cabin more than the first time, so what could happen?  A positive covid test, that's what.  My brother had to get the cabin canceled and submit his niece's test results.  Somehow, her credit card, which wasn't supposed to be linked to my cabin, was, and my charging privileges got shut down on the ship.  (Guest services fixed that, thank goodness.)  But this made it his "never again" group cruise coordinator effort.

- Fourth cruise, larger group.   My brother did find an online TA that specializes in groups and gave everyone that TA's contact information.  The TA has collected all of the payments, has handled the cabin changes, etc.  My brother is the group "conductor", but it is really hands off for him, except to remind people of final payment dates, as a courtesy.  Yes, there is "conductor" type additional discount, but he had the option to spread it across everyone's balance due.

Why set up as a "group"?  In our cases, it was in hopes of cabin discounts, of course.  But also to get all of our cabins linked up in the main dining room.  I think that the first time and the third time we might have received some kind of cabin credit, too.  (It varied by cabin, though.)

Thank you so much for your response! What you posted is a great help to me. If there are discounts available, we would like to share that with the group. There are 2 of us willing to be co-conductors. If there is a bit of monetary value to knock off the amount we are paying for the cruise, that would be great! I am not sure we would need the big dining room group thing, but that could change and be a good option. Our goal by making it a group cruise is discount, of course, perhaps some group activities on the ship(maybe a group ship tour excursion), perhaps a group dinner in the steakhouse. If us co-conductors could be the only contacts with the Carnival group person, I think it could go smoothly with a bit of a benefit to us all.