Live from Konigsdam on a Pacific Coastal

DrKoob

8 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

I will agree there were a lot of 4 & 5 star but they were the ones most upset that they were NOT allowed to board early as the HAL rep outside wasn't aware of that policy. 

I'm sorry but loading luggage and food has nothing to do with passenger embarkation.

I’m talking about San Diego.  I don’t know what you are talking about.  As I said loading luggage and food is going to cause chaos.  I didn’t say it had to do with passenger embarkation.

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m talking about San Diego.  I don’t know what you are talking about.  As I said loading luggage and food is going to cause chaos.  I didn’t say it had to do with passenger embarkation.

YES, SAN DIEGO! 

You are talking in circles. I am talking about the embarkation mess in San Diego and a few pages back you said there was no problem in S.D. last year and I'm posting that this year there is a problem. You were mentioning loading luggage and food in a post where embarkation was being discussed.

I'm done here. Go to our roll call and you can read about the horrible mess that everyone experienced, even 4 and 5 star. Defend HAL all you want but they are to blame for the mess.

FYI, despite embarkation we had a great cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

YES, SAN DIEGO! 

You are talking in circles. I am talking about the embarkation mess in San Diego and a few pages back you said there was no problem in S.D. last year and I'm posting that this year there is a problem. You were mentioning loading luggage and food in a post where embarkation was being discussed.

I'm done here. Go to our roll call and you can read about the horrible mess that everyone experienced, even 4 and 5 star. Defend HAL all you want but they are to blame for the mess.

FYI, despite embarkation we had a great cruise.

I think you are confused by who is talking in circles.  I can only report what I’ve experienced.  I’m the last person to defend hal.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I hope the op does ask for a full refund.  I’d be willing to bet my next paycheque that’s not going to end well. Certainly some of the issues suck. I can tell you I’ve had much worse problems than this.  I definitely never thought that was worth a full refund.

I am not going to ask for any refund at all. It was a horrid cruise and I felt like all we did for five days was stand in line but I did go on a cruise. And I was with friends and family but sadly, I am done with HAL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I am not going to ask for any refund at all. It was a horrid cruise and I felt like all we did for five days was stand in line but I did go on a cruise. And I was with friends and family but sadly, I am done with HAL.

Unfortunately standing in line is something you do a lot of on any cruise.  I took 2 cruises with reduced capacity.  One was at around 40 percent.  You guessed it, still lines.  If you find a cruise line where you don’t have to ever line up or line ups are limited I’d love to hear about it.  While I do a lot of steps in one day it’s getting harder and harder to stand in one spot or walk a long time.

7 hours ago, DrKoob said:

You obviously didn't enjoy this cruise, but now that you've had a couple of days to think about it I wonder if you would try HAL again.  You got off on the wrong foot with a horrible experience boarding the ship and the wait for the MDR was terrible.  What if you could have just walked onto the ship and you were eating in Club Orange, would you have enjoyed the cruise?  You seemed to enjoy your previous cruise on a Pinnacle class ship and HAL has lots of interesting itineraries, are you really sure that you want to eliminate HAL as an option for future trips?

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You obviously didn't enjoy this cruise, but now that you've had a couple of days to think about it I wonder if you would try HAL again.  You got off on the wrong foot with a horrible experience boarding the ship and the wait for the MDR was terrible.  What if you could have just walked onto the ship and you were eating in Club Orange, would you have enjoyed the cruise?  You seemed to enjoy your previous cruise on a Pinnacle class ship and HAL has lots of interesting itineraries, are you really sure that you want to eliminate HAL as an option for future trips?

Last year I  was where DrKoob is, after the horrible and uncalled for way my wife and I were treated and lied to by HAL and the Oosterdam guest services when she got Covid the last week of the cruise.  I posted a long live  thread here about the whole experience and said many times we were done with HAL forever. After a few months and receiving some unexpected compensation from HAL and reflection of the non Covid part of the cruise we booked our upcoming Koingsdam cruise and next year's Volendam Canada cruise. I even apologized here and ate a lot of crow when some in this forum threw my comments back at me. My lesson was never say never!

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Yup. But I am not only done with HAL; we have decided we are done with mainline cruise lines in general. We have almost 25 cruises with Celebrity, but we stopped sailing with them (except for the amazing Flora in the Galapagos) because I hate their new direction and sorely miss all the things they used to be, We thought HAL was our new mainstream line but we pretty much think that we don't even need a mainstream line. That said, we are lucky enough to have the money to move on.

We will stick to the smaller (medium-sized/1200 or less pax) ships from now on. And try river cruising. We have four cruises planned in the next 18 months. One on Oceania, one on Viking Ocean and two on Viking River. We will see how those go. I still think that if you are going to cruise to Alaska and really want to see Alaska (and not just take a cruise), the best way is Holland America out of Vancouver. I just hope you have a better experience than I did on this repo cruise. I think as I get older, I am less of a cruiser than a traveler. Or in my case, a travel photographer. That's where my real joy is.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Unfortunately standing in line is something you do a lot of on any cruise.  I took 2 cruises with reduced capacity.  One was at around 40 percent.  You guessed it, still lines.  If you find a cruise line where you don’t have to ever line up or line ups are limited I’d love to hear about it.  While I do a lot of steps in one day it’s getting harder and harder to stand in one spot or walk a long time.

You are in luck. I have one for you. Viking Ocean (and hopefully Oceania). We did 21 days on Viking Sky in September, and I didn't stand in a single line the entire time. The ship was completely full (970 people), but the longest line I saw was one or, at the very most, two people ahead of me. My good buddy Mike promises me that Oceania is the same way, so I look forward to trying them in September of this year. Yes, you pay a premium, but for us, it is worth it. Plus, they pretty much include everything in the base fare so it comes out about the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

You are in luck. I have one for you. Viking Ocean (and hopefully Oceania). We did 21 days on Viking Sky in September, and I didn't stand in a single line the entire time. The ship was completely full (970 people), but the longest line I saw was one or, at the very most, two people ahead of me. My good buddy Mike promises me that Oceania is the same way, so I look forward to trying them in September of this year. Yes, you pay a premium, but for us, it is worth it. Plus, they pretty much include everything in the base fare so it comes out about the same.

We are also giving Oceania a try in March 2025 for the 18 days Santiago to Buenso Ares cruise. We booked a Concierge Class cabin on the Marina and the 18 days is $200pp less than 14 days on the Equinox in a Sky Suite. We loved the retreat Suites with Celebrity but their new policy of pricing entry level Sky Suites 30-40% higher than previous bookings is driving us to look elsewhere. We booked a Sky Suite on the Edge for next January's New Zealand cruise in February last year, today that same cabin is going for $2000pp more than when we booked or a 40% increase in price. If we were booking that cruise today, we would be on either Viking or Oceania. 

We have done several west coast repositioning cruises.  In general they are not as "organized" and well run as most HAL cruises we have found.  I figure that it is due to the "one off" nature of the cruise and the crew not being used to the schedule and routine.  Passengers also differ a bit from the HAL norm, being more party oriented and also less experienced cruisers (a wild generalization I know).

Let's face it what HAL was is no longer . The new HAL & the new CCL  is emerging . 

We will decide  whether these cruises are worth our vacation dollars . Just wish we were able to fly  because we be doing more river cruises than ocean cruises & imo Europe is the best for river cruising  because of the daily tours to different ports & far less pax . There still are trips to our wonderful National Parks & Monuments  out there as alternative trips which are drivable

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

We have done several west coast repositioning cruises.  In general they are not as "organized" and well run as most HAL cruises we have found.  I figure that it is due to the "one off" nature of the cruise and the crew not being used to the schedule and routine.  Passengers also differ a bit from the HAL norm, being more party oriented and also less experienced cruisers (a wild generalization I know).

I would not call OP’s cruise a “repositioning” cruise as it started and ended in the same place. We have taken many HAL west coast repositioning cruises (from SAN to YVR or reverse) over the years and what we remember is that there were often a lot of bird watchers on them! Many other passengers were seniors who had stayed on from a previous long cruise through the Panama Canal, or transpacific, or about to start one depending on the direction. Not quite the party crowd, and generally the ships were not full like it sounds OP’s was. I do think the Pinnacle class ships are more attractive to a younger, livelier demographic. The inexpensive short loop cruises from Vancouver are always popular with locals, and many of the local travel agencies have groups on them.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night I was talking with a guy at the bar who was on the last cruise and continued with this cruise. He agreed the last cruise was pandemonium. He said a big part of the problem was people were hanging out in the MDR two hours after they were done with their meals. Apparently there were also staffing and management issues. I’ve talked with multiple crew members who told they just started a few day ago. Everything aboard Koningsdam is running really well for this cruise.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I would not call OP’s cruise a “repositioning” cruise as it started and ended in the same place. We have taken many HAL west coast repositioning cruises (from SAN to YVR or reverse) over the years and what we remember is that there were often a lot of bird watchers on them! Many other passengers were seniors who had stayed on from a previous long cruise through the Panama Canal, or transpacific, or about to start one depending on the direction. Not quite the party crowd, and generally the ships were not full like it sounds OP’s was. I do think the Pinnacle class ships are more attractive to a younger, livelier demographic. The inexpensive short loop cruises from Vancouver are always popular with locals, and many of the local travel agencies have groups on them.

It was less a "repositioning" cruise than a rescheduling cruise. HAL was using this five day cruise to move the ship from Monday sailings to Saturday sailings. 

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

It was less a "repositioning" cruise than a rescheduling cruise. HAL was using this five day cruise to move the ship from Monday sailings to Saturday sailings. 

Still, my point is that the cruise was not a "normal" cruise where the crew know the routine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I sailed on Celebrity Constellation in January. Only line I stood in was embarkation and that line never stopped (took about 20 minutes from drop off to walking onboard). No lines ever for shore excursion or Cruise Service desk. No bar lines. No food lines. Walked right up to book a next cruise too. Ship was at 80% occupancy.

It seems to me that HAL might be understaffed when compared to the competition. 

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I sailed on Celebrity Constellation in January. Only line I stood in was embarkation and that line never stopped (took about 20 minutes from drop off to walking onboard). No lines ever for shore excursion or Cruise Service desk. No bar lines. No food lines. Walked right up to book a next cruise too. Ship was at 80% occupancy.

We were on the NS in February out of FLL. On the ship in 20 minutes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Last year I  was where DrKoob is, after the horrible and uncalled for way my wife and I were treated and lied to by HAL and the Oosterdam guest services when she got Covid the last week of the cruise.  I posted a long live  thread here about the whole experience and said many times we were done with HAL forever. After a few months and receiving some unexpected compensation from HAL and reflection of the non Covid part of the cruise we booked our upcoming Koingsdam cruise and next year's Volendam Canada cruise. I even apologized here and ate a lot of crow when some in this forum threw my comments back at me. My lesson was never say never!

Terry, I totally understand you. I have learned to Never Say Never, I have had several not so great HAL Cruises even prior to covid. I currently have 3 HAL cruises booked 2 this year and one for Spring 2025 Japan. Although Japan could change quickly when Princess opens up their April 2025 and if the Vista Suite is not drastically higher than the SS I booked for Noordam. Just my opinion havng done 2 Japan cruises on Princess I think they know what they are doing with Japan. 

My favorite cruise is actually sailing in the Norwegian Haven but sometimes one has to weigh out price over pampering lol. We are walking into our September Westerdam cruise with very low expectation but we are going to Alaska, sailing in a corner aft on deck 5 with totally covered balcony to be able to enjoy the views rain or shine. I am sure we will always return to HAL  although we complain. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Terry, I totally understand you. I have learned to Never Say Never, I have had several not so great HAL Cruises even prior to covid. I currently have 3 HAL cruises booked 2 this year and one for Spring 2025 Japan. Although Japan could change quickly when Princess opens up their April 2025 and if the Vista Suite is not drastically higher than the SS I booked for Noordam. Just my opinion havng done 2 Japan cruises on Princess I think they know what they are doing with Japan. 

My favorite cruise is actually sailing in the Norwegian Haven but sometimes one has to weigh out price over pampering lol. We are walking into our September Westerdam cruise with very low expectation but we are going to Alaska, sailing in a corner aft on deck 5 with totally covered balcony to be able to enjoy the views rain or shine. I am sure we will always return to HAL  although we complain. 

We have 7 future cruises booked, 4 in Celebrity Retreat suites, 2 HAL and 1 Oceania. The Koingsdam cruise we booked for November was booked because in January out of the blue we got an email from HAL giving us a $3900 FCC for the Covid experience last year on the Oosterdam. It had to be used this year so we got a free one week cruise in an Aft facing Verandah with HIA and CO. We had been fully compensated in cash by our travel insurance for the missed cruise days and hotel expenses last year. We never expected nor asked HAL for any compensation. We are now excited about being on a newer Pinnacle class ship doing the California Coastal cruise. This cruise was the only HAL cruise we could fit in this year that wasn't on an itinerary we had already done. Not a cruise we ever would have booked, but who wants to throw away a $3900  FCC?

After we booked that cruise and HAL announced the 2024 Canada NE cruises we then decided the HAL Volendam had the best deal, pricing and itinerary between HAL, Celebrity, Viking and Oceania. We are booked in a Vista Suite with CO and all the premium early booking HIA promos. We are now considering a 2025 Alaska cruise with HAL as long as we can be on one of the Pinnacle class ships. If HAL had not sent us the very generous FCC I do not know if we would have been booking any more HAL cruises. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 2:01 PM, reposado said:

What would be the latest time to embark from Vancouver port? Im going in August and would like to avoid the crowd as much as possible. 

Whatever time it says to be on board on your paperwork, get in line at least three hours earlier. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

We did a west coast cruise from San Diego to Vancouver (10 nights) a year ago this month on Millennium and they were vastly understaffed. 

21 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

We did a west coast cruise from San Diego to Vancouver (10 nights) a year ago this month on Millennium and they were vastly understaffed. 

From what I’ve read, many mainstream cruise lines were vastly understaffed a year ago.

I don’t believe celebrity is a utopia, but the recent reviews from those on HAL paint a less than ideal picture of the onboard experience. Floridagal stated she has ALWAYS waited extensively on HAL and that ALL cruise lines were the same. I offered an example of not waiting. 

Im booked on a 35 day HAL cruise. It’s inexpensive with an itinerary that excites me. I’m keeping my expectations aligned accordingly. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

From what I’ve read, many mainstream cruise lines were vastly understaffed a year ago.

I don’t believe celebrity is a utopia, but the recent reviews from those on HAL paint a less than ideal picture of the onboard experience. Floridagal stated she has ALWAYS waited extensively on HAL and that ALL cruise lines were the same. I offered an example of not waiting. 

Im booked on a 35 day HAL cruise. It’s inexpensive with an itinerary that excites me. I’m keeping my expectations aligned accordingly. 

What 35-day itinerary is inexpensive?