Trip interruption and medical insurance

IDL

Looking for recommendations for better trip medical insurance as the coverage from what our TA presented did not have great medical coverage limits in light of Medicare not having International medical coverage and therefore solely dependent on the trip insurance in the event of a medical emergency. 

46 minutes ago, IDL said:

Looking for recommendations for better trip medical insurance as the coverage from what our TA presented did not have great medical coverage limits in light of Medicare not having International medical coverage and therefore solely dependent on the trip insurance in the event of a medical emergency. 

There is a complete section of CC devoted to travel insurance:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

You might start browsing there to get a sense of questions, answers, and types of policies, and also to ask questions.

We get our travel insurance from www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They are a broker (no extra charge to traveler) and have policies from several vetted travel insurers.  And they can help with a claim if necessary.

We get coverage through TIS from Travel Insured, and we've had several claims (including some large ones), and all were paid promptly.

But *your* insurance needs could be quite different from ours.  TIS can help you figure out the best policy for your situation.

But CALL them.  The online summaries simply can't get into all of the fine print or the details of what your particular insurance concerns/needs are.

GC

We just recently bought an annual medical insurance plan from GeoBlue. Our concern was medical and evacuation coverage, not trip cancellation/interruption. Cost was about $250.

mac_tlc

4 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

We just recently bought an annual medical insurance plan from GeoBlue. Our concern was medical and evacuation coverage, not trip cancellation/interruption. Cost was about $250.

mac_tlc

Same here. For ages 68 and 73 annual cost was $460 for both for the GeoBlue Trekker Premium policy. Medical coverage if over age 70 is $100K, under age 70 is $1Million. Evacuation coverage is $500K.

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

Same here. For ages 68 and 73 annual cost was $460 for both for the GeoBlue Trekker Premium policy. Medical coverage if over age 70 is $100K, under age 70 is $1Million. Evacuation coverage is $500K.

Did you book direct or ? 

10 hours ago, susiesan said:

Interesting policy terms that triggered a couple of thoughts ...

I would be concerned about only $100K medical for over 70. Depending on where you are, a serious illness / accident could burn through that in a few days of ICU care.

The fact that the medevac coverage is five times that should signal that the company does not have to pay those charges very often. If you are too ill to be a medevac candidate, then the medical coverage is again potentially insufficient.

I'd also have a hard look at the policy terms under which medevac is allowed - if you don't qualify for repatriation, you're dependent on the medical amount. If medevac is simply at your request, great - but that would really surprise me.  🍺🥌

54 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I would be concerned about only $100K medical for over 70. Depending on where you are, a serious illness / accident could burn through that in a few days of ICU care.

That's only for the annual plan. Single trip plan goes up to $1M.

14 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Interesting policy terms that triggered a couple of thoughts ...

The fact that the medevac coverage is five times that should signal that the company does not have to pay those charges very often. If you are too ill to be a medevac candidate, then the medical coverage is again potentially insufficient.

I'd also have a hard look at the policy terms under which medevac is allowed - if you don't qualify for repatriation, you're dependent on the medical amount. If medevac is simply at your request, great - but that would really surprise me.  🍺🥌

We are not yet 70, so the medical limit is OK for us. We have thought about getting a MedJet policy as an alternative to GeoBlue's evacuation portion. You are much more in control as to if/when/where you can get evacuated home. One year policy runs about $400, with discounts for 2 or 3 year policies.

mac_tlc

35 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We are not yet 70, so the medical limit is OK for us. We have thought about getting a MedJet policy as an alternative to GeoBlue's evacuation portion. You are much more in control as to if/when/where you can get evacuated home. One year policy runs about $400, with discounts for 2 or 3 year policies.

mac_tlc

A MedJet policy is also discounted if you go thru AARP

All of the annual policies I compared had lower medical limits for people over 70. Having limited medical coverage is better than nothing. Besides, both of our medicare advantage plans cover us when traveling out of the country.I made sure of that before I chose the plans we have. One is UHC and one is BCBS. We would have the same coverage and copays for emergency treatment than we have if we were in the US.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, susiesan said:

All of the annual policies I compared had lower medical limits for people over 70. Having limited medical coverage is better than nothing. Besides, both of our medicare advantage plans cover us when traveling out of the country.I made sure of that before I chose the plans we have. One is UHC and one is BCBS. We would have the same coverage and copays for emergency treatment than we have if we were in the US.

Yes, I checked with my BCBS plan too, and they do cover international medical expenses.  I supplement it with the GeoBlue annual plan.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 12:40 PM, susiesan said:

Which advantage plan do you have? I had SCAN at one time and there was full coverage..switched to Alignment and only $25,000 is covered out of the US. SCAN changed to that level as well. 

8 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Which advantage plan do you have? I had SCAN at one time and there was full coverage..switched to Alignment and only $25,000 is covered out of the US. SCAN changed to that level as well. 

My plan is with United Healthcare.  All advantage plans are state specific so benefits vary a lot depending on where you live.

• Like 1