Upgrade Onboard?

lauraleigh9mm

Only if you pay the full fare difference between your cabin category and a higher (upgrade???) category.  Until you get into Silver Suites and above there really is much difference in the various verandah suite categories other than location.

To the OP, are you asking about a complimentary upgrade? If that is what you are asking, I have never heard of one. As Randy pointed out, if you want to pay the difference and one of the "BIG SUITES" is available then they will certainly accept your $.  

6 hours ago, lauraleigh9mm said:

Has anyone upgraded after getting on the ship? We had a guarantee, and we are happy with what we got, but there is always better. 

We’ve been upgraded with a GTY, and we have also been offered an upgrade on arrival.

We, too, have been upgraded with a GTY. 

Also, we were once offered an upgrade from Vista to Veranda shortly before cruising for £300 each when the advertised difference would have been about £800 each. That was a direct booking with SS. Took it! 

Have not see/heard about this onboard.

About a month before my first Silversea voyage many years ago, the friend I was traveling with and I were offered a comp upgrade to the Owner’s Suite in exchange for our two Veranda suites.   We actually turned that down. 

I believe that once a sailing date approaches (maybe within the last 30 days), booked passengers can call their TA or Cruise Consultant and ask if they can negotiate an upgrade for an additional payment that is less than the original spread.  This was offered to me back in 2020 when a lot of cancellations started coming in due to Covid. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

I believe that once a sailing date approaches (maybe within the last 30 days), booked passengers can call their TA or Cruise Consultant and ask if they can negotiate an upgrade for an additional payment that is less than the original spread.  This was offered to me back in 2020 when a lot of cancellations started coming in due to Covid. 

Good morning, I have been offered an upgrade (for me to pay nearly 3 grand)😮 to go from a classic veranda to one of the "BIG SUITES"........my rep at SS knows me very well......she was not surprised when I turned it down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I have been offered an upgrade (for me to pay nearly 3 grand)😮 to go from a classic veranda to one of the "BIG SUITES".

Sounds about right.  I was offered an upgrade to a Silver Suite for $2 grand per person ($4k total).  The original difference would have been about $7k per person (14 day cruise).  I did not take it since it was becoming increasingly clear that everything would be shut down by then and in fact SS cancelled the cruise two days later.  

3 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Sounds about right.  I was offered an upgrade to a Silver Suite for $2 grand per person ($4k total).  The original difference would have been about $7k per person (14 day cruise).  I did not take it since it was becoming increasingly clear that everything would be shut down by then and in fact SS cancelled the cruise two days later.  

Oh, yours was a while back. Mine was recently but I am just fine with a regular balcony. Sailing solo, SS classic veranda's give me more than enough room🙂.....no need for me fork out that much extra $.

It seems that under RCL Silversea has changed its policy.  Back before the purchase Silversea was pretty adamant about not discounting upgrades.   We had a discussion about that with the hotel director on the Spirit as there were a number of Silver Suites vacant on our 18-day cruise.  She said she didn’t have the authority to offer a discounted upgrade without corporate approval and her previous attempts with the then Silversea management had been turned down.   Might add it was a pleasant conversation and we were just wondering why they didn’t allow that at the time.  She said their position was it would be “insulting” to passengers who had paid the full fare in the first place.   

• Like 1

dawntrdr; you post (#7) is precisley the technique I follow with our TA and for the last two Expedition cruises, was upgraded from Vista GTY first to a Classic Veranda, then paid for a Deluxe Veranda at an exceptional discount.  For example, within 30 days of embarking on the Silver cloud March 7th,  asked our TA if there was a deal on a deluxe veranda.  Paid $1500 for 640 (our fav suite on the Cloud) and saving over $15,000 over the published price of a deluxe veranda, considering if I wanted a deluxe veranda at booking six months earlier, I also had to pay 50% single sup for my suite.

Edited by WesW

Last year we were booked in a vista on Spirit and about 10 days before SS phoned and offered an upgrade to a veranda for £250 each.   Not sure which class of veranda except it was on deck 7 midships. DH’s response to me was “you can if you want” so I quickly said yes!   She also gave us onboard credit to have a meal in La Dame and the Japanese restaurant so I think we did OK.  This had been given earlier not at the same time.

• Like 1