Boarding at Southampton

lesliedrew

I am arriving at Heathrow at 9:15 AM, May 9 (V313).  I figure I will arrive by car at Southampton Ocean Cruise Terminal about noon.  My boarding pass asks that I please arrive no earlier than 15:30.  What do I do for three plus hours?  Can I board earlier?  Is there a place to check my luggage?  Do I just sit on the dock on my luggage and hope it doesn't rain?  I just spoke with Cunard and confirmed that there is nowhere to wait or sit.  Others must have this problem.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks.

After you get through check in there are places to sit and wait until your group letter/number is called.  Don't worry about arriving earlier then your appointed time, we do it all the time and have never had a problem.  You just join the line when you get to the terminal.  We weren't asked when our time was and we were there just this past Fall.

They have recently changed the policy at Southampton and the terminal staff will check your arrival time and if you are too early you will be invited to wait in a queue outside until your allocated time. I was 45 mins early and was not allowed in until my time. You will not be able to wait inside. In the past you could arrive when ever but this is not the case now. This was for Ocean Terminal but my understanding is it applies to Mayflower too. Cunard is correct there is no where else to wait other than the queue. Best bet is to visit a local pub or coffee shop and wait for your time. 

Edited by Winifred 22

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

They have recently changed the policy at Southampton and the terminal staff will check your arrival time and if you are too early you will be invited to wait in a queue outside until your allocated time. I was 45 mins early and was not allowed in until my time. You will not be able to wait inside. In the past you could arrive when ever but this is not the case now. This was for Ocean Terminal but my understanding is it applies to Mayflower too. Cunard is correct there is no where else to wait other than the queue. Best bet is to visit a local pub or coffee shop and wait for your time. 

Goodness me, that's going to cause chronic congestion outside the terminal. Could be a bit of a H&S issue if hundreds turn up too early.

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Was the terminal crowded inside?

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Was the terminal crowded inside?

We are always first tranche boarding but don't arrive too early if we can help it.

The terminal is usually quite full with passengers waiting to check in when we get there so goodness knows how early some arrive. Of course, some can't help it if relying on transport other than own cars.

We were moving from a Princess ship to Queen Mary 2 in Southampton a few months ago, which meant we disembarked Princess by 9am and could not board QM2 for several more hours. We were able to check our luggage in with people waiting outside the terminal building, and then wander around a bit in Southampton. If the weather is bad, there is a large mall nearby worth spending some time in. 

Just now, terry&mike said:

We were moving from a Princess ship to Queen Mary 2 in Southampton a few months ago, which meant we disembarked Princess by 9am and could not board QM2 for several more hours. We were able to check our luggage in with people waiting outside the terminal building, and then wander around a bit in Southampton. If the weather is bad, there is a large mall nearby worth spending some time in. 

West Quay. The café in John Lewis does excellent brownies.

• Like 2

The terminal was not busy once I was allowed inside. I arrived at 12 15 for  13:00 arrival time. It was quick once I was allowed inside and when straight through but did check my boarding pass twice that I had not sneaked in. There were people waiting in the seats who had managed to get in the terminal early but were not being allowed to go to check in as it wasn’t their time. I understand you can drop your luggage off from 11.00 

15 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

West Quay. The café in John Lewis does excellent brownies.

Yes definitely worth a visit. I love their cafe. Lemon meringue pie very good too and you can watch the ships in the terminal from the windows as it’s on the top floor of the store. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Goodness me, that's going to cause chronic congestion outside the terminal. Could be a bit of a H&S issue if hundreds turn up too early.

I have heard of people waiting 2 hours plus outside. They are being really strict now . I should image if there are too many they will just tell you to come back at your allocated time. They do tell you not to arrive before your arrival time. 

10 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

OK if you can walk that far. I would imagine many Cunard passengers wouldn't be able to do that or wouldn't be dressed appropriately if the weather is inclement.

Taxi to West Quay would be about £8 each way. 

10 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I have heard of people waiting 2 hours plus outside. They are being really strict now . I should image if there are too many they will just tell you to come back at your allocated time. They do tell you not to arrive before your arrival time. 

Taxi to West Quay would be about £8 each way. 

Oh don’t get me wrong. As an early boarder, I’m all for a less crowded environment especially as I felt the terminal last August was claustrophobically crowded but I feel for those who have no choice as to their arrival times and have to wait outside and slightly sorry for those who ignore times because historically, they have been allowed in the terminal.

If this is a new policy, then I think it should be highlighted on Cunard's web site.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Oh don’t get me wrong. As an early boarder, I’m all for a less crowded environment especially as I felt the terminal last August was claustrophobically crowded but I feel for those who have no choice as to their arrival times and have to wait outside and slightly sorry for those who ignore times because historically, they have been allowed in the terminal.

If this is a new policy, then I think it should be highlighted on Cunard's web site.

Yes it’s a tricky one. I have priority boarding too but must admit I am annoyed when there are huge queues and crowds which are caused by the amount of people not adhering to their time. I suppose it will

eventually sort itself out when people realise they need to be on time and not arrive early and expect to be prioritised. They allocate times according to decks so it’s not helpful to the staff if people all arrive at the same time and then create issues form a H and S point of view . My daughter is boarding Q V tomorrow so will be interesting to see what happens. She is Grills so can arrive early but I will be asking her to see what’s what ready for my next trip in August. 

• Like 1

Strangely, on our boarding papers for QV later this month, it says please arrive promptly. I tend to assume ‘promptly’ means we shouldn’t be late. I should have expected it would also say something about not being early or we’ll have to wait outside, but it doesn’t.

29 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Yes it’s a tricky one. I have priority boarding too but must admit I am annoyed when there are huge queues and crowds which are caused by the amount of people not adhering to their time. I suppose it will

eventually sort itself out when people realise they need to be on time and not arrive early and expect to be prioritised. They allocate times according to decks so it’s not helpful to the staff if people all arrive at the same time and then create issues form a H and S point of view . My daughter is boarding Q V tomorrow so will be interesting to see what happens. She is Grills so can arrive early but I will be asking her to see what’s what ready for my next trip in August. 

Please report back. It will be interesting.

We are occasionally the first onboard so it won't affect us other than a more pleasant atmosphere but it will affect many others and they deserve to be in the picture. 🙂

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Strangely, on our boarding papers for QV later this month, it says please arrive promptly. I tend to assume ‘promptly’ means we shouldn’t be late. I should have expected it would also say something about not being early or we’ll have to wait outside, but it doesn’t.

No boarding papers to refer to but an email gave new instructions or instructions I had taken no notice of before. The emboldened text is Cunard's.

Please proceed directly to your ship’s departure terminal at the ‘arrival time’, stated on your boarding pass.

Edited by Victoria2
spelling

6 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

They have recently changed the policy at Southampton

I'm curious Winifred, when did you sail? 

My experience with boarding in SH is that it is less of a "policy" then it is the discretion of whoever is in charge that day. Very inconsistent.

Cunard does so many thing very well but embarkation, website and onboard wifi are not in that group. I find this odd because 2 of those 3 are "first impression" items. If we are taking the Cunard bus service from London, which we have done twice (and find it very satisfactory), we really have little control as to when we arrive the port terminal. However, in Cunard's defense, they can only work with what they are given by the Southampton port authority. The terminals facilities are really lacking. They've got a captive audience of thousands, you think they would offer some restaurants, club rooms and shops and make some revenue. It's a win/win opportunity. As much as I dislike airports, at least there are restaurants, shops and bathroom facilities near the gates and I've never been asked to wait outside the building. These are huge revenue generators for the airports. 

We are embarking the QE in August from Los Angles. I'm curious as to what the terminal situation will be like here.

Jack

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I'm curious Winifred, when did you sail? 

My experience with boarding in SH is that it is less of a "policy" then it is the discretion of whoever is in charge that day. Very inconsistent.

Cunard does so many thing very well but embarkation, website and onboard wifi are not in that group. I find this odd because 2 of those 3 are "first impression" items. If we are taking the Cunard bus service from London, which we have done twice (and find it very satisfactory), we really have little control as to when we arrive the port terminal. However, in Cunard's defense, they can only work with what they are given by the Southampton port authority. The terminals facilities are really lacking. They've got a captive audience of thousands, you think they would offer some restaurants, club rooms and shops and make some revenue. It's a win/win opportunity. As much as I dislike airports, at least there are restaurants, shops and bathroom facilities near the gates and I've never been asked to wait outside the building. These are huge revenue generators for the airports. 

We are embarking the QE in August from Los Angles. I'm curious as to what the terminal situation will be like here.

Jack

Just remember, it is not Cunard who manage, if that is the right word, the embarkation process, it is Intercruises. And I don’t think the comparison with airports is quite fair. People are regularly expected to check in two or three hours before their flights. The hope with cruises is that it will be a lot less than an hour. Nobody wants passengers to linger and clutter up the terminal ambling around shops 

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Nobody wants passengers to linger and clutter up the terminal ambling around shops 

Except for perhaps the shop/restaurant owners, the people who work at the shops, the city that taxes what's sold at the shops, the cruise lines that are asking passengers to wait outside the building or jam into the building and that rare passenger who likes to shop (could Dee be the only one😃). I just can't imagine passengers sitting in a beautiful terminal, well lit, with restaurants, shops and nice facilities saying, "gosh, I really miss the old Mayflower terminal experience, now that was a building you could stand outside of." Cruising is booming right now, the number and size of ships is growing as are the pressures on boarding. It seems like delayed boardings, for whatever the reason, are happening more frequently. The terminal facilities in Southampton have not kept up. 

• Like 1

As a passenger, I don’t want to sit in any terminal, beautiful or not, I want to be on my ship and having lunch there. I certainly don’t want to have to hang around a terminal for long enough to need to eat there. One of the great joys of cruising is that the embarkation experience is so unlike that at airports. Despite a bad experience during Covid, over the years my average transit time at Southampton would be under half an hour. Take security out and it would be considerably less.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Except for perhaps the shop/restaurant owners, the people who work at the shops, the city that taxes what's sold at the shops, the cruise lines that are asking passengers to wait outside the building or jam into the building and that rare passenger who likes to shop (could Dee be the only one😃). I just can't imagine passengers sitting in a beautiful terminal, well lit, with restaurants, shops and nice facilities saying, "gosh, I really miss the old Mayflower terminal experience, now that was a building you could stand outside of." Cruising is booming right now, the number and size of ships is growing as are the pressures on boarding. It seems like delayed boardings, for whatever the reason, are happening more frequently. The terminal facilities in Southampton have not kept up. 

Problem is Ocean and Mayflower Terminals are not used on a daily basis especially when P&O have 2 ships in Carribbean for 3 months of the year and Cunard 2 on a world cruise. No businesses would want to open shops/restaurants that would be open only for 4hrs a day and not every day. Unlike airports where terminals are open to loads of airlines on a daily basis for most of the day it is financially advantageous to open shops/restaurants. Unfortunately cruise terminals in Southampton are only open to one ship at a time per day.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 3