How does cheers and Wi-Fi work when cruising Alaska?

amcankid

Just curious if Cheers is taxed when you’re cruising Alaska,especially when going through the Fjords. 
And also wondering if WiFi from our cellular plans work since we’d be so close to land. Semi debating whether to get a WiFi package but if a few of the days our cellular plans will work then why spend!

If I recall correctly, no, drinks are not taxed.

No, cell data does not work while you are at sea, even close to land.  In fact, WIFI on the two Alaskans I've done has been the worst of all my cruises (Sprit and Miracle).  It does, however, work just as normal in port, other than Canada of course.  

Sales tax is charged when in state waters. Alaska does not charge sales tax.

You will not receive a cellular signal (please note, this is not wifi) on the ship while cruising. You will be going through remote areas with no coverage.

With that said, the satellite connection in Alaska can be questionable due to the northern latitudes. For this reason, I believe Carnival doesn't actually sell cruise length internet access.

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Sales tax is charged when in state waters. Alaska does not charge sales tax.

You will not receive a cellular signal (please note, this is not wifi) on the ship while cruising. You will be going through remote areas with no coverage.

With that said, the satellite connection in Alaska can be questionable due to the northern latitudes. For this reason, I believe Carnival doesn't actually sell cruise length internet access.

As I look at the various packages offered for our August cruise to Alaska, the WiFi package offered appears to be for the entire voyage. Definitely if they’re aware that WiFi is spotty at best in certain areas they shouldn’t be charging for it in those locales. I wonder how I can find out if the couple of days that the WiFi doesn’t have a signal if they include it anyway.

6 minutes ago, amcankid said:

As I look at the various packages offered for our August cruise to Alaska, the WiFi package offered appears to be for the entire voyage. Definitely if they’re aware that WiFi is spotty at best in certain areas they shouldn’t be charging for it in those locales. I wonder how I can find out if the couple of days that the WiFi doesn’t have a signal if they include it anyway.

Actually I just did a trial run and it looks like  they charge for the entire trip. Kinda pisses me off if I’m fact they know there’s no service in a couple of the areas we’ll be in.

Edited by amcankid
Wrong word included

I sailed for 33 days on Spirit B2B2B2B last year starting in Alaska continuing on through the Panama Canal and first two Caribbean sailings. 

Wifi was fine in Alaska. Not amazing, but certainly no outages like I was expecting based on the reports of poor coverage in Alaska.

Starting the journey south was where the problems began. Wifi was down completely for several days of the 16 day voyage to Miami and when it did return speed tests revealed speeds literally slower than dial up. 

Despite it being a ship wide issue that even caused the hub app to briefly stop working, guest services played dumb when people complained. Eventually a partial refund was given to those who were persistent.

The problem of dial up speed wifi continued several days into the Caribbean sailings before going out completely again.

This time guest services refused any partial refunds even though wifi was completely down. I asked why after two turnaround days in Miami the problem was not fixed, they claimed this was unrelated to the issue during the crossing 🙄.

After about a day and a half it came back and speeds were back to the so so speeds from Alaska.

A partial refund for no service was still refused. 

The way this was handled is probably my only true disappointment at carnivals customer service. They knowingly continued to sell a product they knew was broken and refused to acknowledge the problem or make it right. 

If you have trouble in Alaska this year on Spirit, they will blame it on Alaska but be assured it's faulty wifi onboard. Hopefully the fix they applied is still holding up.

Sorry for the rant this went on a while but the question caused me to remember the run around carnival gave me last year 😆

Edited by jam19872016