Why haven't daily gratuities gone down?

2 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Just remove them and do what you want to do!👍

I think this is the best advice anyone can give, what you do is your business, and mega tipper Karen on Deck 8- that's your business too, and everyone can get along fine.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Where are these higher paying guests going to come from exactly? and do they like mediocre food, 90% off Invicta tat watches and cocktails made from syrup in plastic cups? 

Last time I checked, higher paying guests want higher level experiences. Not Royals floating version of holiday in express. 

Cruising is a budget holiday experience which is being priced like a premium one. This never ends well when the music stops... which it will.

so much to unpack here. 

Mediocre food? It isnt amazing but it is always a decent, filling meal. 

I dont know what Invicta tat watches mean but i guess you mean fake or old styles? Dont buy them. 

cocktails made of syrup in plastic cups? Sure they are plastic on the pool deck (safety) but i have never had a watered down drink on a cruise. 

Cruising is a budget holiday but it is definitely not priced as a premium one. 

I used to love going to the beach in my state (Ocean City, MD) even though everyone has jokes about OCMD. It is fun, full of places to go and things to do. However, going there for a week in summer costs 3 x as much as a cruise. So I can cruise 3 times a year instead of one time at the beach. 

Where are you finding a vacation that is cheaper than $100 pp per night? I truly want to know. When I am on a cruise i feel like I am getting the very best deal for my money in my price range. and my price range is low. 

And finally, why do people who complain about cruising still cruise? Or are they just on CC being antagonistic?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

That's because much like the people complaining on this board, the people complaining about Disney make up a small minority of people actually vacationing.  The majority are people are ones that either are new and didn't even know there was a change or haven't been enough to really worry if something is gone.  

I know several families that have taken their first cruise this year and they all came back raving about how much fun they had.  They don't know that there was once twice a day cleaning or that their favorite dish is no longer on the menu.  

Making crayfish movements (just explaining what I mean - going sideways and backward in a business is awkward  and eventually leads to stagnation.

8 minutes ago, gavvy said:

I think this is the best advice anyone can give, what you do is your business, and mega tipper Karen on Deck 8- that's your business too, and everyone can get along fine.

Mega Tipper Karen? We dont complain to the manager or GS, we just tip. Cant call that a Karen. We just argue on CC about it because you guys are the Karens who line up on embark and remove them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

so much to unpack here. 

Mediocre food? It isnt amazing but it is always a decent, filling meal. 

I dont know what Invicta tat watches mean but i guess you mean fake or old styles? Dont buy them. 

cocktails made of syrup in plastic cups? Sure they are plastic on the pool deck (safety) but i have never had a watered down drink on a cruise. 

Cruising is a budget holiday but it is definitely not priced as a premium one. 

I used to love going to the beach in my state (Ocean City, MD) even though everyone has jokes about OCMD. It is fun, full of places to go and things to do. However, going there for a week in summer costs 3 x as much as a cruise. So I can cruise 3 times a year instead of one time at the beach. 

Where are you finding a vacation that is cheaper than $100 pp per night? I truly want to know. When I am on a cruise i feel like I am getting the very best deal for my money in my price range. and my price range is low. 

And finally, why do people who complain about cruising still cruise? Or are they just on CC being antagonistic?

Finally? That’s the only question!  And, obviously, it’s rhetorical.

• Haha 1

The Karen's are the ones that boast they tip on top of tips and make sure everyone knows on here, and everyone who dares not to make up the wages of people who are not in tipped positions but in the pool are worse than anyone, because you are better and right and everyone else cannot have a differing opinion.

Karen's opinion is always right. Does not matter if I choose to tip in a different way.

I am the devil's child  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, gavvy said:

The Karen's are the ones that boast they tip on top of tips and make sure everyone knows on here, and everyone who dares not to make up the wages of people who are not in tipped positions but in the pool are worse than anyone, because you are better and right and everyone else cannot have a differing opinion.

Karen's opinion is always right. Does not matter if I choose to tip in a different way.

I am the devil's child  

ahhh. Lets look who started the thread...

The Karen's are the ones who complain about paying for something they would be charged for regardless but it chaps their behinds to have it called a 'tip' because why give those peasants any more money. The cruise line should pay them more! Sure, it will raise cruise prices but it will make us Karen's feel better about it because we said so!😂

23 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival raised theirs too and went to once a day housekeeping.

Are you over there telling them too it's unfair. Get over it. Prices are increasing. I'd rather they cut housekeeping than food.

They have cut the quality of the food and some of the better items are limited or no longer on the menu.

3 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

They have cut the quality of the food and some of the better items are limited or no longer on the menu.

Lol you know I've cruised since the new menus. I'm not sure why you are telling me this. Actually on oasis not so good but radiance was really good a week later. I sat near the kitchen I think and food was hot, fried fish crispy, steak cooked right.  ..I thought the food better on radiance.  Best since restart. 

For me it's a comparison. I'd trade some things for bacon at breakfast. My treat when I cruise. Carnival is still skipping it every other morning in the buffet.  I have the 14 day journey carnival booked, and I know food hasnt improved. .. I did 3 on carnival after covid and decided rcl is better for me.

I'll have more choices when I move to florida. 

9 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

have you been to the grocery store lately? If they didnt i would wonder why. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol you know I've cruised since the new menus. I'm not sure why you are telling me this. Actually on oasis not so good but radiance was really good a week later. I sat near the kitchen I think and food was hot, fried fish crispy, steak cooked right.  ..I thought the food better on radiance.  Best since restart. 

For me it's a comparison. I'd trade some things for bacon at breakfast. My treat when I cruise. Carnival is still skipping it every other morning in the buffet.  I have the 14 day journey carnival booked, and I know food hasnt improved. .. I did 3 on carnival after covid and decided rcl is better for me.

I'll have more choices when I move to florida. 

bacon only every other day?!?!?! OMG I hope RCCI doesnt read this. Bacon really is important on vacation. 

I cant wait to move to FL when I retire also. 

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009
wergfwer

On 5/7/2023 at 5:04 PM, firefly333 said:

Why not say to yourself how happy you are gratuities havent gone up. Wages are increasing so it costs more to hire help.

once a day is plenty for me. 

Gratuities have gone up.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

have you been to the grocery store lately? If they didnt i would wonder why. 

What a funny question.🙄 It still doesn’t change the fact that they have gone down food wise.

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 5/7/2023 at 6:41 PM, firefly333 said:

Carnival raised theirs too and went to once a day housekeeping.

Are you over there telling them too it's unfair. Get over it. Prices are increasing. I'd rather they cut housekeeping than food. Each has something important to them. I was already telling them just do me once a day but I didnt cut tips. I personally dont like someone in my cabin twice a day, so your whining is lost on me. I was already asking for once a day, leave me alone. I dont like to be fussed over.

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol you know I've cruised since the new menus. I'm not sure why you are telling me this. Actually on oasis not so good but radiance was really good a week later. I sat near the kitchen I think and food was hot, fried fish crispy, steak cooked right.  ..I thought the food better on radiance.  Best since restart. …

I said that because you said you would rather cut housekeeping than food. They have cut food. The food might have been better on the Radiance than Oasis, but it has still gone down hill since the restart on all ships.

• Haha 1

Just now, ReneeFLL said:

I said that because you said you would rather cut housekeeping than food. They have cut food. The food might have been better on the Radiance than Oasis, but it has still gone down hill since the restart on all ships.

And you know I knew that lmao. We cruised together remember? I could understand you telling that to someone who you didnt know knew this. Scratching my head. 

I'm saying inflation is still going up. It's still running over 5%, wages are going up. In the future they either have to give pay raises, cut food or cut services. My vote is cut services not more food cuts. This isnt over... . More choices have to be made. I'm being pushed on both lines to pay for more pay restaurants.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I'm hoping the way they are raising cruisefares they quit with the food cuts. I want more food choices like before of course. .. I for sure dont want more food cuts. That's why i said cut anything else but no more food cuts please. Cruise food is important to me.

I expect more shoes to drop I wouldnt like the way inflation is though.. just please dont cut food more.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

There are people behind the scenes that depend on tips to make a decent wage. When you remove gratuities, you are directly impacting these crew members because you can’t tip people you never see.  

Yes, I understand that. I was being specific!  He never said that he doesn't tip, period.  Who or what he does or doesn't tip was not addressed.

46 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

What a funny question.🙄 It still doesn’t change the fact that they have gone down food wise.

what a funny response😉

it still doesnt change my question. And last time i checked, the food still tastes the same, it is the quantity that may be the issue? You tell me.... 

16 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Yes, I understand that. I was being specific!  He never said that he doesn't tip, period.  Who or what he does or doesn't tip was not addressed.

I tip:

Waiter

Asst Waiter

Steward

Anyone that delivers a drink to my location

With very rare exception, this is my inclusive list

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

what a funny response😉

it still doesnt change my question. And last time i checked, the food still tastes the same, it is the quantity that may be the issue? You tell me.... 

Oh, the food tastes nowhere near the same, quantity is never an issue because because food is "bottomless"

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I tip:

Waiter

Asst Waiter

Steward

Anyone that delivers a drink to my location

With very rare exception, this is my inclusive list

And I really don't think that it is anyone else's business what, how, where you or I tip.  Yes, I follow my own signature, though!  LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't cruised with the new menu, YET.  And, I'm not a big fan of the MDR, anyway.  But, looking at the new menu exhibits shown in CC, I can say that I'm not impressed with the limited options and the so-called" theme nights.  It has nothing to do with quality or taste, obviously.  There are only two things that I go to the MDR for when I do go: the French Onion Soup and the Shimp Cocktail.  Those two items aren't available on every menu, every night like they used to be.  I don't know if you can ask for them even if they are not on the menu.  But, I've read that they do not accept special/off-the-menu requests anymore.  So, I'd be greatly disappointed, regardless of the quality and/or taste.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1