Why haven't daily gratuities gone down?

19 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I wonder how long it will be until RCI changes the word gratuities to something like Princess which changed from gratuities to “Crew Appreciation” and Cunard to “hotel and dining service charge”.  Or simply just put out a tip jar like this one:

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 4.42.08 PM.png

Just an FYI, The actual quote is "love of money is the root of all evil".  

13 hours ago, BND said:

Just an FYI, The actual quote is "love of money is the root of all evil".  

There are many versions of the saying all of which are way too lengthy to put on a tip jar 🤔

King James Bible
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many 

New American Standard Bible
For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 7:20 PM, PWP-001 said:

The initial question in this topic was about a decrease in gratuity and never mentioned a decrease in cruise fare because of the housekeeping service cut.

Using your restaurant example, let's say a restaurant you've always patronized had  good, friendly service by an efficient waitstaff.  But now the restaurant has cut back and  you now order & pay for your food at the counter and that friendly service now amounts to the waitstaff  dropping your food at the table with a big smile.  Are you still leaving a the 20% gratuity that you had left before the cut backs?

23 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think the concept of less service for the same money is lost on anyone living in america.

Imo the premise of the thread doesnt get this. The services were cut to save money. If they cut the auto tips then there was no point in cutting services, people would continue to expect the same service for the same money.

Either tips and money paid by pax for their cruise will go up or services down. Already I read here ncl is over $20 a day form tips. If not cutting services like their competitors then the prices have to go up. Everyone is cheering we are only at 4.9% inflation.. that adds up. And it's been higher adding up.

Do people really want a higher end service and pay more for twice a day cabin service or maybe make it optional, pay a little more for twice a day. Like the key, more service and optional things for a fee.

Inflation and govt spending is not under control. Either things like services and cruise prices just keep going up or there are cuts. Or rcl never gets profitable and eventually goes bankrupt if no one will pay what it costs to run. Make it for a optional fee?

Well, it seems you missed the whole premise of this thread.  The focus of this thread had NOTHING to do with RCI or any company's quest to squeeze more profit from the goods or services sold by increasing the price, decreasing the offering, or a combination of both.  

The question posed in the title of this thread is intended to draw attention to RCI's characterization of the daily automatic gratuity "as a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service."

Given what has already been reported in this thread and others regarding the housekeeping "service" being provided under the "Reboot" as they call it, can passengers really feel this is outstanding service when:

-beds are left unmade all day,

-the fare-paying guest #3 in a room either has to make up their sofa bed or put it away themself,

-guests can now return at night to a dark room and dirty bathroom if they showered before dinner,

-guests are cleaning their own balcony windows.  "Windows:  are dirty are you?"

It's one thing to say your cruise fare now just buys once a day service.

But imagine if the manager in that restaurant which moves from table service to counter service expects you to continue leaving 20% to the waitstaff that just drops your food off.  Would you?

Edited by PWP-001
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

The question posed in the title of this thread is intended to draw attention to RCI's characterization of the daily automatic gratuity "as a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service."

And I would just add that it would also follow that the gratuity, being a reward for excellent service, has nothing to do with providing the crew with a salary.

• Thanks 2

On 5/7/2023 at 6:04 PM, scooter6251 said:

If you have a problem with gratuities to the people that work so hard to make your cruise so enjoyable, maybe you should consider camping instead of cruising. Most people tip beyond the required amounts.

Wow, just wow! 

The problem, as always, is the ambiguity surrounding DSC and how much actually gets paid to a particular crew member.  We are led to believe a specific amount is given to a position such as a cabin attendant but then it's been pointed out by someone who knows, actual total compensation is really around $1,400 per month. 

So which is it?

Please check my math.

Based on the breakdown of gratuity in this post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2914351-current-breakdown-of-gratuities-as-of-january-2023-with-increase/?do=findComment&comment=65038320

$4.05 of the new $16 daily gratuity charge goes to the cabin attendant.  Others have posted $3.05 per day per guest.  

Will the cruise line continue to allocate $3.05 - $4.05 to each cabin attendant as they add more cabins to their assignment?  I don't see why they would adjust the allocation for the cabin attendant when altering their workload but if they are reducing the cabin attendant allocation, where does the extra money go and will they provide new allocations for the DSC?

It's been reported that cabin attendants are increasing from around 16 cabins to 22 cabins (not doubling as some have assumed).

Old 16 cabins x $4.05 per day x 2 guests = $129.60 per day.

New 22 cabins x $4.05 per day x 2 guests = $178.20 per day.

OR, if you want to use the $3.05 figure,

Old 16 cabins x $3.05 per day x 2 guests = $97.60 per day.

New 22 cabins x $3.05 per day x 2 guests = $134.20 per day.

Some cabins may have more than two guests but sometimes there are solo cruisers.  With the industry wrapped around the concept of double occupancy we can leave the average at two guests per cabin to make the math easier.  

A typical 7 month contract has ~213 working days.  They work every day.  

Old 16 cabins - 213 days * $129.60 per day = $27,604 per contract

New 22 cabins - 213 days * $178.20 per day = $37,956 per contract

Old 213 days * $97.60 per day = $20,788 per contract

New 213 days * $134.20 per day = $28,584 per contract

Either way, on the surface that is a 37% increase for picking up more cabins.  But is it?

With 365 days per year if a cabin attendant has two months off and then returns for another contract they will work 304 days per year.  There are no weekends off for these folks, they work everyday.  

Old 16 cabin - 304 days * $129.60 per day = $39,398 per year

New 22 cabins - 304 days * $178.20 per day = $54,172 per year

Old 16 cabins - 304 days * $97.60 per day = $29,670 per year

New 22 cabins - 304 days * $134.20 per day = $40,796 per year

Has their total compensation really changed at all?  Is it still the $1,400 per month figure?  If so, that is $9,800 over a 7 month contract.   

Where does the rest of the $20,788 per contract (based on $3.05) or $27,604 per contract (based on $4.05) go?   We are led to believe it goes to the cabin attendant but that is a lot more than the $9,800 that an insider has posted. 

If these amounts are not going to the crew member as suggested by the cruise lines then this is the whole problem with the gray nature of DSC.  

If I have made any mistakes or bad assumptions please correct me.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

The problem, as always, is the ambiguity surrounding DSC and how much actually gets paid to a particular crew member.  We are led to believe a specific amount is given to a position such as a cabin attendant but then it's been pointed out by someone who knows, actual total compensation is really around $1,400 per month. 

So which is it?

Please check my math.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2914351-current-breakdown-of-gratuities-as-of-january-2023-with-increase/?do=findComment&comment=65038320

$4.05 of the new $16 daily gratuity charge goes to the cabin attendant.  Others have posted $3.05 per day per guest.  

Will the cruise line continue to allocate $3.05 - $4.05 to each cabin attendant as they add more cabins to their assignment?  I don't see why they would adjust the allocation for the cabin attendant when altering their workload but if they are reducing the cabin attendant allocation, where does the extra money go and will they provide new allocations for the DSC?

It's been reported that cabin attendants are increasing from around 16 cabins to 22 cabins (not doubling as some have assumed).

Some cabins may have more than two guests but sometimes there are solo cruisers.  With the industry wrapped around the concept of double occupancy we can leave the average at two guests per cabin to make the math easier.  

Either way, on the surface that is a 37% increase for picking up more cabins.  But is it?

With 365 days per year if a cabin attendant has two months off and then returns for another contract they will work 304 days per year.  There are no weekends off for these folks, they work everyday.  

Has their total compensation really changed at all?  Is it still the $1,400 per month figure?  If so, that is $9,800 over a 7 month contract.   

Where does the rest of the $20,788 per contract (based on $3.05) or $27,604 per contract (based on $4.05) go?   We are led to believe it goes to the cabin attendant but that is a lot more than the $9,800 that an insider has posted. 

If these amounts are not going to the crew member as suggested by the cruise lines then this is the whole problem with the gray nature of DSC.  

$40k to $55k a year! Room, meals, and transportation included! Cost of living in there home country half or more compared to here. Average yearly salary a 3rd or a 4th of here! And we are still referring to these people as "those poor underpaid people"? $35k to $55k USD per year makes them no less paid then people in this country. Who I might add have a much higher cost of living. In there own countries this money per year is fantastic.  Why are we endlessly worry about these folks? Feel guilty much cruise travelers?

• Like 3

Just now, RyderJ201 said:

$40k to $55k a year! Room, meals, and transportation included! Cost of living in there home country half or more compared to here. Average yearly salary a 3rd or a 4th of here! And we are still referring to these people as "those poor underpaid people"? $35k to $55k USD per year makes them no less paid then people in this country. Who I might add have a much higher cost of living. In there own countries this money per year is fantastic.  Why are we endlessly worry about these folks? Feel guilty much cruise travelers?

Therein lies the problem.  

Someone who is/was in a position to know has offered their actual compensation at around $10k per contract, well short of the money trail.  

So are we being misled by all the cruise lines that provide the allocation of DSC?  Where does the money really go?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

So which is it?

Please check my math.

WINNER!!

Best post of the 15 pages in this thread so far.

This ambiguity is the reason more and more people are opting out of this system!!

Thank you @twangster

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Therein lies the problem.  

Someone who is/was in a position to know has offered their actual compensation at around $10k per contract, well short of the money trail.  

So are we being misled by all the cruise lines that provide the allocation of DSC?  Where does the money really go?

So if you tip cash, you know where it went. No automatic gratuities for me. And someone said automatic gratuities can be removed at any time for any reason by going to guest services. Tip cash in hand. Royal is skimming off the top of the auto grats.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

So if you tip cash, you know where it went. No automatic gratuities for me. And someone said automatic gratuities can be removed at any time for any reason by going to guest services. Tip cash in hand. Royal is skimming off the top of the auto grats.

That is one approach and understandable why you feel that way.

However also understand that at the end of the day the cruise line will always need to show investors what investors want and need to see - revenue targets, profit and expense statements, etc.  

One way or another the company will meet those revenue targets.  Higher cruise fares, more chargeable items on board, higher internet fees, and so on.  One way or another we all will pay more for something when people opt out of DSC. 

There is no free lunch, not even in the Windjammer.   We all still pay for it, one way or another.  

Personally I'm leaving the DSC as is, and I prepay mine.  It's part of the cost of my vacation.   

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

That is one approach and understandable why you feel that way.

However also understand that at the end of the day the cruise line will always need to show investors what investors want and need to see - revenue targets, profit and expense statements, etc.  

One way or another the company will meet those revenue targets.  Higher cruise fares, more chargeable items on board, higher internet fees, and so on.  One way or another we all will pay more for something when people opt out of DSC. 

There is no free lunch, not even in the Windjammer.   We all still pay for it, one way or another.  

The other thing I don't get is people who asks these workers about there pay? Would they ask an employee of any business they go into on land? I tip in restaurants at home but would never ask about salary etc. Just because I tip and purchase food doesn't give me the right to stick my nose in.

• Like 6

Personally I wish the government would or could force all cruise lines to include it.  

As long as they are not required to include it there will always be one cruise line that will continue to advertise fares without DSC included so that they appear to be less expensive.  If they are all required to include it only then is it a level playing field.  

Same with bag fees on airlines.  Same with resort charges from hotels.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

The other thing I don't get is people who asks these workers about there pay? Would they ask an employee of any business they go into on land? I tip in restaurants at home but would never ask about salary etc. Just because I tip and purchase food doesn't give me the right to stick my nose in.

100% right-on!!!!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

Personally I wish the government would or could force all cruise lines to include it.  

As long as they are not required to include it there will always be one cruise line that will continue to advertise fares without DSC included so that they appear to be less expensive.  If they are all required to include it only then is it a level playing field.  

Same with bag fees on airlines.  Same with resort charges from hotels.

Either that or let our feet/wallets be the influencers/regulators.  

Edited by Ret MP

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Either that or let our feet/wallets be the influencers/regulators.  

At the moment there are 1,000 new feet that are willing to take the place of mine.  

Bookings are up, prices are up.  We can all choose to vote with our wallet but at this moment in time that's a pretty weak stance to take.

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

At the moment there are 1,000 new feet that are willing to take the place of mine.  

Bookings are up, prices are up.  We can all choose to vote with our wallet but at this moment in time that's a pretty weak stance to take.

Yes, it's always a weak stance to take if done individually, no doubt.  It takes a mass movement and something to spark that mass movement.  I know of a beer company that is experiencing it right now.  I do not shop in a particular department store 🎯.  It makes me feel good and I sleep at night because I do.  Does that mean I'M making a difference, not necessarily?  But, who knows? 

BTW:  I'm still loyal to Royal!

Edited by Ret MP
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It's hard to argue the point you make.

So instead, as more have speculated as they mention the ambiguity of the DSC....

maybe it's time to HIT Royal right in their WALLET:  in protest, let's start encouraging cruisers to REMOVE THE DAILY GRATUITIES en masse!

It's not about being cheap:  it's about sending RCI a message that we DO NOT LIKE THEIR SHENANIGANS.

For those that feel this hurts the hard-working employees, tip in cash to those you worry about.  The reality is that not collecting auto-gratuities causes more pain to Royal than it does their crew.  Royal is obligated to honor employee contracts. 

Yes, they could breach the contracts but they know ill word back home means no one will sign new contracts.  And let's take that concept one step further.

Imagine if word gets back home in the hiring countries:  "Yes, I was paid per my contract but the variable portion was smaller than it used to be because RCI guests are angry at declining service and rising prices and many are removing the daily gratuity in protest."

Royal NEVER surveyed repeat guests to see how they would feel about the housekeeping service cuts.  They really didn't care about guests.  Since their competitors have started it, they felt they could just get away with it.

The only thing Royal is listening to is the sound of coins rattling in their wallet.

Taking those coins out of their wallet by withholding the auto gratuity is probably the best way to get their attention.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, twangster said:

So which is it?

Please check my math.

Just forget about the $ amounts - the whole grat game is a scam - some $ stays with the cruise line not all is distributed!

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 5:53 AM, firefly333 said:

Inflation and govt spending is not under control. Either things like services and cruise prices just keep going up or there are cuts. Or rcl never gets profitable and eventually goes bankrupt if no one will pay what it costs to run. Make it for a optional fee?

On another thread you have made plenty of comments about present cruise pricing. That is rather surprising since on this thread you seem to have such a handle on what RCI needs to do to avoid bankruptcy. More interesting, is I don't think anyone on that thread has called you either a whiner or cheap.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

The problem, as always, is the ambiguity surrounding DSC and how much actually gets paid to a particular crew member.   

Yes, this is the first main point.

The second main point is the so called “gratuities” are not gratuities at all… cruise lines just call them that to divert the public from seeing the truth. As was already said, cruise lines pay the employees LESS THAN minimum wage, which is then supplemented by these “gratuities”. If Royal does not get enough gratuities from us the paying customer, they have to increase their substandard payment to these employees in order to reach their contractual minimum salary.

Bottom line…. These “gratuities” are NOT gratuities at all, they are part of these employees wages. All cruise lines should be forced to eliminate mandatory “gratuities” and simply add them to our total cruise fare. This is gross misrepresentation in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twangster said:A typical 7 month contract has ~213 working days.  They work every day.  

You’re too intelligent not to have thought of this, so I hope not to Insult… just wondering if

you factored in the WJ busperson cleaning plates off tables that do not receive a direct tip from an 18% mandatory bill (ie. UDP or beverage package)…. How do they get their gratuities “supplemented” when cruise lines underpay them? How about other “behind the scenes” staff (cooks, etc?)

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

Yes, this is the first main point.

The second main point is the so called “gratuities” are not gratuities at all… cruise lines just call them that to divert the public from seeing the truth. As was already said, cruise lines pay the employees LESS THAN minimum wage, which is then supplemented by these “gratuities”. If Royal does not get enough gratuities from us the paying customer, they have to increase their substandard payment to these employees in order to reach their contractual minimum salary.

Bottom line…. These “gratuities” are NOT gratuities at all, they are part of these employees wages. All cruise lines should be forced to eliminate mandatory “gratuities” and simply add them to our total cruise fare. This is gross misrepresentation in my humble opinion.

That's not entirely accurate.  They are paid the minimum rates as required for all seafarers.  That is all that is guaranteed as it is required.  

The maximum potential total compensation is not guaranteed or made up by the company when they fall short of that for any reason, i.e. performance or DSC being removed by guests.

Minimum wage in any state, province or country is irrelevant.