This seems like a deal...or am I just taking the bait? Princess Plus Upgrade

oregonn8v

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, remydiva said:

Thank you.

We just took a couple of empty bottles with us and refilled ( I brought a small funnel too) from glasses of water at buffet or pool. 
This would have been a good option as well. 

If I don't buy in advance I just refill the bottle from bathroom sink. Basically same water.

1 hour ago, roadster08 said:

Regarding the WIFI, it has been hit or miss based on recent threads. Depends on the ship and the itinerary. There are WIFI service upgrades being rolled out so anything anyone writes now may not apply on your cruise next January.

Bottom line, is keep you WIFI expectations open. You may get value from it and you may not. Like everything else about cruising.🙂

Thanks for this. I have heard that WiFi is spotty on the ships. I have been cruising since before WiFi was ever publicly available and I never missed it. The one thing I will likely miss at sea is being able to text my kids but I don't care about posting to social media or steaming a video and I'm certainly not conducting stock trades so I could probably do without the WiFi.

In that case, the Princess Plus package is not worth the cost.

Guest ldtr
14 hours ago, oregonn8v said:

Hello,

I am sailing on the Crown Princess next January and when I log into the portal on the web, I am bombarded with a request to upgrade to the Princess Plus Plan for an additional $60 per day. I don't drink alcohol so I thought there would be no point, and I started to look at the Non-Alcohol Beverage Package. Here's what I found.

Ala Carte:

• Non-Alcohol Beverage Package: $247
  • Crew Appreciation: $112
  • WiFi (I heard it is $15/day): $105

TOTAL: $464

Upgrade to Princess Plus Plan:

• Everything on non-alcohol Bev. package
  • Alcoholic drinks up to $15 (would not use)
  • Crew Appreciation
  • WiFi for 1-device
  • 2 specialty dessert per day
  • 2 fitness classes per cruise
  • Unlimited juice bar

TOTAL: $420

Seems like a no-brainer to go with the Princess Plus. Is that a good price on that package? Is WiFi $15/day if purchased by itself? Thanks for any tips.

Eric

If I drink one soft drink a day, and 1 blended mocha. My comparison before elite benefits looks like this for a 7 day cruise.

non alcoholic drinks  49

Crew Appreciation  112

Internet  $105

total  $266

compared to 420 with the package a savings of 154 or 22 per day. enough for an extra 7 soft drinks per day if I wanted just to break even

In reality mt numbers are even better since with Elite benefits my internet is half that amount, and 2 softdrinks a day (1 more than I usually buy) are covered by swapping my minibar for softdrinks.

Guest ldtr
32 minutes ago, oregonn8v said:

Thanks for this. I have heard that WiFi is spotty on the ships. I have been cruising since before WiFi was ever publicly available and I never missed it. The one thing I will likely miss at sea is being able to text my kids but I don't care about posting to social media or steaming a video and I'm certainly not conducting stock trades so I could probably do without the WiFi.

Just to be clear the wifi is just fine, since that is the technology that allows you to connect to the ships network for both local services such as medallion functions as well as the Internet.

It is the Internet services that can be slow.  Even if you connected by physical cable such as in the Internet Cafe computers, and did not use wifi at all the speed of the internet connection would be the same.

1 hour ago, oregonn8v said:

Same with me. After 6 sea days on TA when wifi likeky would have been spotty at best, we just found wifi at bars and cafes at the ports.

I did buy ‘till end of cruise’ wifi package which , as discussed on another thread, seems to be cheaper than the per diem rate. I got the last  3 days for $22.50 ( elite rate 50% off the $45 rate ) to check in airlines and print boarding passes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We booked Plus for our upcoming cruise.  (We always do)  We received our medallions without a shipping charge.  We have NEVER been charged shipping...we've cruised 5 times since the restart.

We cruised on the Discovery for 14 days last April with no charge.  My cc confirmation was on Sunday and email confirmation from Princess showing 10.00 charge came today on Monday.  We have the Plus package.  Minor nuisance.

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Bad value to my way of thinking. Mostly high calorie non alcoholic drinks and I only need one wifi for one computer that I can share. I also reduce my gratuity to $12 PP PD so for my way of thinking it's a very poor value

Why do you reduce your gratuity to 12.00 a day?🤔🤔🤔

17 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And … don’t forget to add in those two ($12 each) mouth watering tempting Tyra Banks ice cream splendors and 2 free gym classes that we all will partake in….daily!  (aka Sheldon Cooper).

Forgot to mention….free delivery of your Medallion….thank you JP.

Not SMiZE 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Bad value to my way of thinking. Mostly high calorie non alcoholic drinks and I only need one wifi for one computer that I can share. I also reduce my gratuity to $12 PP PD so for my way of thinking it's a very poor value

Why do you reduce to $12?

Edited by startedwithamouse

12 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

There is no free delivery of Medallions these days.  My cc just got charged 10.00 so it'll be a guest services stop late at night when there is no line to get my refund.

And the only exercising we will do are 8-12 ounce curls at Good Spirits at Sea. 😉

Interesting...I have the regular Plus package for my cruise on Saturday and received my medallion last week. I checked my credit card statement and have not been charged. I also was not charged for my February cruise, also with Plus package.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, remydiva said:

You can order water ahead? Is a case 6 bottles or the costco sized 24? Is it delivered to your room?

9 hours ago, remydiva said:

Thank you.

We just took a couple of empty bottles with us and refilled ( I brought a small funnel too) from glasses of water at buffet or pool. 
This would have been a good option as well. 

It's a decent deal and convenient to get the 12-pack.  We then re-use the bottles some before discarding, so a combination of both practices can work well.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It's a new ice cream company founded by Tyra Banks that has a truffle hidden in the ice cream called a Smize Prize.  Simple Google search 

Thanks.  I didn't find a truffle hidden in my sundae.  Googled and didn't see anythng.

5 hours ago, remydiva said:

I did buy ‘till end of cruise’ wifi package which , as discussed on another thread, seems to be cheaper than the per diem rate. I got the last  3 days for $22.50 ( elite rate 50% off the $45 rate ) to check in airlines and print boarding passes.

To clarify, the per diem rate for MedallionNet is $15/day for single device as you were charged.  The other rate is a single day rate, which seems to be charged on a 1-off basis and not in the case of several days in a row such as the final three of the voyage.  (I would distinguish between the "per diem" rate and the "single day" rate when discussing MedallionNet fees).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It's a new ice cream company founded by Tyra Banks that has a truffle hidden in the ice cream called a Smize Prize.  Simple Google search 

Ha Ha....I did find the correct website.  But the "truffle" is in her ice cream cartons.  I was "looking" for a mushroom truffle.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Stepping on a minefield there.

Three of us asked the same question and got no response yet.  Curious minds want to know how some can deprive those that serve us while we cruise a portion of their salary that we pay through our gratuities. 

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Ha Ha....I did find the correct website.  But the "truffle" is in her ice cream cartons.  I was "looking" for a mushroom truffle.  

Since it's a dessert, I would assume the truffle would be chocolate.  Don't think mushrooms would be good with ice cream, unless it was possibly a craving by a pregnant woman.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Three of us asked the same question and got no response yet.  Curious minds want to know how some can deprive those that serve us while we cruise a portion of their salary that we pay through our gratuities. 

I understand and agree, but these explorations never seem end well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1