🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

7 hours ago, Coral said:

Yes - they said we missed the tulips by a week. I have pictures of May 4th of a different year and there were gorgeous tulips.

I’m sure it’s beautiful at any time of year. It was a fantastic port day for us.  We rented a car and took our time, had some lunch and an ice cream…and wandered around the gardens twice. 
We felt bad for the people who took ship excursions who were only given 1 and 1/2 hours there. There were 3 Princess ships in port that day. 

Edited by Happiest when cruising

19 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi Coral, still haven't decided on what to do yet in Sitka, but am leanin towards the tour that you took, looks good an still got time to reserve.

Hey Coral, in your cabin every night, did the room stewarts do towel art, also a champagne waterfall in the centrum, an why did you change the tour in Sitka, from the Best of sitka, otters, bears, and raptors, to bears raptors & totem poles?

6 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I’m sure it’s beautiful at any time of year. It was a fantastic port day for us.  We rented a car and took our time, had some lunch and an ice cream…and wandered around the gardens twice. 
We felt bad for the people who took ship excursions who were only given 1 and 1/2 hours there. There were 3 Princess ships in port that day. 

The Princess tour I had gave me 2 hours, though I agree it wasn't enough time. I have been here probably 5 or 6x so it was fine. For a first time person, I would want more time. I also am one that is always afraid of "missing the bus" so I return early.

Renting a car would usually make sense except for it was Victoria Day and even the bus drivers ran into problems getting around with street closures. I would have hated to navigate that.

1 hour ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Coral, in your cabin every night, did the room stewarts do towel art, also a champagne waterfall in the centrum, an why did you change the tour in Sitka, from the Best of sitka, otters, bears, and raptors, to bears raptors & totem poles?

I did not get towel animals. I have never gotten them on Princess. I also did not ask for night-time turn down service which probably worked out best for the employees. My room steward became sick early on the cruise so others had to cover for him. Since I wasn't in the room during the day, it wasn't a big deal.

I paid $90 for my tour at the dock. People did rave about the Princess excursion that was $215 or something like that - don't remember the exact cost (included the boat ride). The totem pole park is probably a 15 minute walk from the downtown area. So you could easily add that on your own. Many people stayed there and walked back to town as that was our 3rd and last stop.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gottagoacruzn said:

This is the tour I did: https://www.baranoftours.com/tours 

It worked out well as it was a small group. Other groups had large buses. We did avoid the large buses at the sites but there is always a chance you could be at a place with a large bus. I actually excited the ship and walked to the shuttle and realized I was dressed to warmly, so I went back to the ship, changed clothes and then existed again so I was sort of delayed in getting to downtown Sitka.

------

Why did I change the tour - someone on a board had said they didn't see much on the boat tour. Thought that was a previous year and different time of year The people who went this year did see quite a bit. I probably should have gone on that tour. Regardless - Sitka is a great town and it was a fun day.

Champaign waterfall - I don't know. I can check this weekend my patters. I have been on so many cruises, this is no longer interesting to me. I will check the patters this weekend and respond. I assume they had it.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Coral said:

The Princess tour I had gave me 2 hours, though I agree it wasn't enough time. I have been here probably 5 or 6x so it was fine. For a first time person, I would want more time. I also am one that is always afraid of "missing the bus" so I return early.

Renting a car would usually make sense except for it was Victoria Day and even the bus drivers ran into problems getting around with street closures. I would have hated to navigate that.

That makes total sense. It was the only port on our 21 day cruise that were comfortable enough to rent one. Could be we live just on the mainland across from Victoria, so if we missed the ship...we could have just taken the ferry home. 

Thank you so much for this Coral! We are thinking of booking this for next month, and having never cruised Princess before, this was extremely helpful! Sad though...I was very excited about the tour from Juneau to Tracy Arm you mentioned and started looking into it, only to realize the sailing we are looking at is only in Juneau from 8-5, where all the others are 8-9p. Not sure why ours is much shorter and stopping in Haines as well as opposed to Skagway, but oh well. What a bummer as we wouldn't make that tour back in time. Sigh...

5 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

That makes total sense. It was the only port on our 21 day cruise that were comfortable enough to rent one. Could be we live just on the mainland across from Victoria, so if we missed the ship...we could have just taken the ferry home. 

Yea - the Victoria parade in Victoria is huge.

1 hour ago, zackarykeef said:

Thank you so much for this Coral! We are thinking of booking this for next month, and having never cruised Princess before, this was extremely helpful! Sad though...I was very excited about the tour from Juneau to Tracy Arm you mentioned and started looking into it, only to realize the sailing we are looking at is only in Juneau from 8-5, where all the others are 8-9p. Not sure why ours is much shorter and stopping in Haines as well as opposed to Skagway, but oh well. What a bummer as we wouldn't make that tour back in time. Sigh...

I know - very disappointed. I called the company before I booked the cruise as I would not have booked the cruise if they were not running this early in the season. They are a great family owned company and I get it that technical problems exist. 

Skagway is having a big issue this summer (again) - thus, you are probably going to Haines for that reason.

5 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Haines was a short stop on our first Alaska cruise. It is a nice quaint town.

On 5/18/2023 at 4:11 PM, wallyj said:

Just got the top3 numbers from the Loyalty Manager, she said she wanted to wait for final counts of the tiers as there were passengers leaving and coming on, but I see those numbers were posted already.

#1 1241 days, #2 813 days and #3 778 days.

Top40 cutoff is 383 days which is on the higher side for an Alaska cruise. I have been on Alaska sailings where the number was below 200.

Having a cocktail party instead of luncheon on evening of Ketchikan port stop at 7pm in Adagio lounge.

Friends on the current Emerald sailing, reported ‘Blue’ princess tote bags are back/being given?

That's the first Cocktail party I've heard of in a long time. Glad to hear it.

How was the food?

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That's the first Cocktail party I've heard of in a long time. Glad to hear it.

How was the food?

I have read many of the Alaska sailings will have a cocktail party instead of a lunch.

I was disappointed with the food offered. They had waiters that passed around only 3 items, a rice ball, tempura veggies and fried shrimp. By the time the tempura got to me, little was left and it was cold.  There did setup a mini buffet table with various desserts and additional offerings on a sushi roll but nothing looked appealing to me, it seemed many did not go up and partake. The buffet Princess has set up on Royal class ships for the MTG ‘cocktail’ party pre Covid were quite nice with various sushi offerings and a chef preparing hot items along with other various entrees.

Officers did sit with passengers and I had a nice conversation with the Guest Services Manager.

On 5/24/2023 at 5:11 PM, Coral said:

This is the tour I did: https://www.baranoftours.com/tours 

It worked out well as it was a small group. Other groups had large buses. We did avoid the large buses at the sites but there is always a chance you could be at a place with a large bus. I actually excited the ship and walked to the shuttle and realized I was dressed to warmly, so I went back to the ship, changed clothes and then existed again so I was sort of delayed in getting to downtown Sitka.

------

Why did I change the tour - someone on a board had said they didn't see much on the boat tour. Thought that was a previous year and different time of year The people who went this year did see quite a bit. I probably should have gone on that tour. Regardless - Sitka is a great town and it was a fun day.

Champaign waterfall - I don't know. I can check this weekend my patters. I have been on so many cruises, this is no longer interesting to me. I will check the patters this weekend and respond. I assume they had it.

Hi Coral, the more I think about it, the more I like takin the bears, raptors & totem pole tour, its really less expensive, that the ships tour!!!

• Like 1

Coral, or anyone, do you know if any of the balconies have an obstructed view? I just booked the Crown, balcony guarantee, and I don't care where it is, but hope it's not obstructed! 

I haven't done an Alaska cruise in a few years, so I'm excited to be going. Sitka, Haines and Icy Strait Point are new to me. 

TIA!

Nita

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi Coral, the more I think about it, the more I like takin the bears, raptors & totem pole tour, its really less expensive, that the ships tour!!!

It was a good tour!

4 hours ago, NitaBcruising said:

Coral, or anyone, do you know if any of the balconies have an obstructed view? I just booked the Crown, balcony guarantee, and I don't care where it is, but hope it's not obstructed! 

I haven't done an Alaska cruise in a few years, so I'm excited to be going. Sitka, Haines and Icy Strait Point are new to me. 

TIA!

Nita

Hi Nita!! - 

Long time! I think there are some suites with a ship obstruction (aft) but I can't think of any balconies on that class of ship.

It is a great itinerary. 

Theresa

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wallyj said:

I have read many of the Alaska sailings will have a cocktail party instead of a lunch.

I was disappointed with the food offered. They had waiters that passed around only 3 items, a rice ball, tempura veggies and fried shrimp. By the time the tempura got to me, little was left and it was cold.  There did setup a mini buffet table with various desserts and additional offerings on a sushi roll but nothing looked appealing to me, it seemed many did not go up and partake. The buffet Princess has set up on Royal class ships for the MTG ‘cocktail’ party pre Covid were quite nice with various sushi offerings and a chef preparing hot items along with other various entrees.

Officers did sit with passengers and I had a nice conversation with the Guest Services Manager.

I do agree on the buffet setup in Club 6 on the Royal class ships the last time we went to one. It was quite nice but a little difficult to eat as there were limited tables

On 5/22/2023 at 5:18 PM, Italy52 said:

@Coral, beautiful pictures.  We have never been to the gardens.  You did the ship's excursion, right?  If so, did you have enough time at the gardens to take everything in?

**Oops, it looks like you were posting at the same time as I was asking.  Found the answers in your post.

This is probably a better option:

https://sightseeingvictoria.com/tour/the-butchart-gardens-experience/

Though you need to walk 15-20 minutes to the Empress hotel and then back to the ship. Or Princess sells a shuttle I believe.

I did this one year and we were strongly encouraged to get on a specific bus back but could take any bus given there was space. Since you have a long day, it will work to wait it out but I was worried that year on making it back on time. This was a long time ago - it maybe worth calling them.

I did not pursue this option this time as there was a huge parade going on in that area in the morning and I thought the ship tour would make more sense.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Hi Nita!! - 

Long time! I think there are some suites with a ship obstruction (aft) but I can't think of any balconies on that class of ship.

It is a great itinerary. 

Theresa

Hi Theresa! I wondered if any of us cheerleaders were still cruising! LOL!!! Then I saw your post!

Thanks, it doesn't look like any bad locations are left, and glad they won't be obstructed. Although on some ships,  I hear it's just a solid metal, instead of plexiglass panel on the balcony. For cheap, that would do! 

I've done Alaska a few times, but not to 3 of these ports! 11 nights makes it interesting for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

This is probably a better option:

https://sightseeingvictoria.com/tour/the-butchart-gardens-experience/

Though you need to walk 15-20 minutes to the Empress hotel and then back to the ship. Or Princess sells a shuttle I believe.

I did this one year and we were strongly encouraged to get on a specific bus back but could take any bus given there was space. Since you have a long day, it will work to wait it out but I was worried that year on making it back on time. This was a long time ago - it maybe worth calling them.

I did not pursue this option this time as there was a huge parade going on in that area in the morning and I thought the ship tour would make more sense.

Thank you, I will definitely check out the website.

Hi Coral, in Victoria was princess still offering the bus that takes you into the center of things?  In the past it dropped off and picked up in front of the Empress Hotel.  If they did offer it do you recall the price of it?

Thank you and I enjoyed your trip reports.

2 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Hi Coral, in Victoria was princess still offering the bus that takes you into the center of things?  In the past it dropped off and picked up in front of the Empress Hotel.  If they did offer it do you recall the price of it?

Thank you and I enjoyed your trip reports.

I heard they did. I vaguely remember someone from our roll call saying it was $14 - I never saw anything in print referring to this. This weekend I will look to see if anything was in the Patter.

I did not look into it as there was a huge parade and I wanted to avoid it at all costs.