31 days on HAL vs 14 on Princess

canadarocks

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

HAL’s second niche is the quiet experience and many do relish that over entertainment

I for one prefer entertainment.  I'm not really impressed with the current entertainment offerings onboard HAL.  The show I've ever seen onboard any of the cruises that I've done (including the Disney ones) was one we saw on HAL.  It was called Encore.  Not the "Encore" that showed up later (and I think on Princess), but one that had spectacular costumes, staging and performers.   Those performers also did a cabaret-style show that they put together later in the cruise.

I like the Billboard Onboard venue.  I'm not a fan of the BB Kings or Rolling Stone Rock Room as they both tend to be extremely loud.  Also don't care for BBC Earth in Concert, since it basically just puts me to sleep, just like Lincoln Center.  Step One is OK, but not up to the par of the past musical review type shows (IMO).

All that said, we continue to sail HAL because their itineraries are attractive to us.

Edited by Shmoo here

30 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I for one prefer entertainment.  I'm not really impressed with the current entertainment offerings onboard HAL.  The show I've ever seen onboard any of the cruises that I've done (including the Disney ones) was one we saw on HAL.  It was called Encore.  Not the "Encore" that showed up later (and I think on Princess), but one that had spectacular costumes, staging and performers.   Those performers also did a cabaret-style show that they put together later in the cruise.

I like the Billboard Onboard venue.  I'm not a fan of the BB Kings or Rolling Stone Rock Room as they both tend to be extremely loud.  Also don't care for BBC Earth in Concert, since it basically just puts me to sleep, just like Lincoln Center.  Step One is OK, but not up to the par of the past musical review type shows (IMO).

All that said, we continue to sail HAL because their itineraries are attractive to us.

I like entertainment too but is down to 5 or 6 on my list.   I do not like branded package music or entertainment.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

The [best]show I've ever seen onboard any of the cruises that I've done (including the Disney ones) was one we saw on HAL.  It was called Encore.  Not the "Encore" that showed up later (and I think on Princess), but one that had spectacular costumes, staging and performers. 

Agreed. That has to have been the best ever HAL production show. The singers had quality voices, and knew how to perform. The costumes were gorgeous, and the entire production was a work of art. 
I saw that show several times, with different casts, on a variety of cruises, and would love to be able to see it again. 

I have also loved various guest performers on the HAL stage over the years, but HAL just isn't hiring that same caliber of entertainer anymore. Sad. 

On 5/10/2023 at 1:46 PM, canadarocks said:

Just sharing my experience. I expected the third leg to be repetitive as it was almost identical to the first. But since the first and second legs were also sold as a 21 day cruise, I (perhaps foolishly) expected them to be different. To each his own. Happy Cruising! 

We were on the Westerdam for February and March in Asia. Booked as a 24 and 16 day. Turned out to be three repetitive cruises. No repeat ports except Singapore but extremely repetitive entertainment and menus. Even the set lists in Billboard, Lincoln Centre and RS. 

I’ve seen the Step One and Cantare so many times that I could do them in my sleep. (Two cruises last year). 

There aren’t any longer cruises in Asia so if you want to cruise there it’s the only option. It looks like Europe is much the same. 

43 minutes ago, ldog said:

Even the set lists in Billboard, Lincoln Centre and RS. 

I’ve seen the Step One and Cantare so many times that I could do them in my sleep. (Two cruises last year). 

There aren’t any longer cruises in Asia so if you want to cruise there it’s the only option. It looks like Europe is much the same

That is precisely the problem with canned branding packages - that is how it is meant to be - tightly controlled to preserve the brand.  Much better would be independent artists.  HAL needs to do something better in entertainment and enrichment

they do have longer cruises in Asia.  I am mulling the 51 day  Japan cruise.  Please understand you were on the start up cruise, Japan just opened for American cruise ships recently.  They still have travel restrictions. https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2023/apr/29/japan-nude-sunbathinglandlord-gets-ok/

there are quite a few longer cruises to Europe, mostly Northern Europe.  Also look under grand voyages 

Edited by Mary229

I am well aware that we were on a startup cruise.  But it was 3 BTB's out of Singapore which is the part of Asia that we wanted to go to at the time of year that we wanted to travel. (escaping winter in Ontario).  

That still doesn't mean that they had to repeat EVERYTHING. 

The performers that they did bring aboard, especially the Malaysian Harmonica Champion and the Filipino's Got Talent violinist, were fabulous.  The Comedians not so much.

I worked in the entertainment business before retirement.  I know that it isn't that hard to change up set lists.

We've done 2 B2Bs -total of 14 days ea, on N Statendam, I agree that the entertainment was lacking.  We rarely went to the main theatre because we knew we had "been there, seen that."  We usually enjoyed the atmosphere just chatting with others by the aft lido pool.  The mid ship pool was too crowded with cabanas & people saving loungers.  People watching was the highlight of our cruises as far as entertainment goes.

Yes the MDR menu had a lot of repeats, but we did not mind that.  At home we repeat our meals about every 2 weeks, so no big deal.  Plus there were other options if the MDR menu didn't interest us.  Gr Dutch cafe has good sandwich options & Lido has a good variety as well.

We have decided we like the quiet aspect of a HAL cruise.  We've never sailed Princess, but have done Carnival many times.  Maybe we are just older now & appreciate the quiet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

they do have longer cruises in Asia.  I am mulling the 51 day  Japan cruise.  Please understand you were on the start up cruise, Japan just opened for American cruise ships recently.  They still have travel restrictions. https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2023/apr/29/japan-nude-sunbathinglandlord-gets-ok/

there are quite a few longer cruises to Europe, mostly Northern Europe.

Where does one look for these longer voyages that are not two strung-together cruises?  I'm very interested in finding these. Not the Grand cruises so much -- they're a bit long for me, I think.

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Where does one look for these longer voyages that are not two strung-together cruises?  I'm very interested in finding these. Not the Grand cruises so much -- they're a bit long for me, I think.

Do a search of your preferred region.  Now sort that list by duration.  Or you look at all of them and sort by duration.  Be sure to use the plan a cruise search option, if you click one of the specials link (such as the current 45% off) it will deselect cruises not covered by the special. Don’t worry the broader list will give you any specials available 

15 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Do a search of your preferred region.  Now sort that list by duration.  Or you look at all of them and sort by duration.  Be sure to use the plan a cruise search option, if you click one of the specials link (such as the current 45% off) it will deselect cruises not covered by the special. Don’t worry the broader list will give you any specials available 

Thanks; but that doesn't address my main question, which is: how to tell whether a cruise, e.g., a 28-day Med cruise, is a cruise unto itself or is made up of 2 also-marketed 14-day cruises.

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks; but that doesn't address my main question, which is: how to tell whether a cruise, e.g., a 28-day Med cruise, is a cruise unto itself or is made up of 2 also-marketed 14-day cruises.

That does require an additional step.  Once you have one selected now search again for the dates and filter by the ship.  This will show all options for that ship only and should be easy to determine .  Some of the B2B, notably the voyage of the Vikings, makes the second itinerary different enough to not exclude it 

Edited by Mary229
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2023 at 7:50 AM, CruiserBruce said:

I don't think it's surprising that a person might be ready to get off after 31 days, and that it shouldn't be a surprise that menus and entertainment repeat over that period. 

Some would be happy to stay on. But I suspect the vast majority would be ready to get off.

Agree. We find 21 days to be the perfect cruise time frame. Cruise lines tend to repeat with menus and entertainment after 10-14 days. We usually skip the nightly shows. We did 18 days to Hawaii on HAL last October and 18 days with Princess around the British Isles in September.  Princess had better designed suites, but since the ship didn't have enough crew and passengers,  a couple of the specialty restaurants were closed. Holland? The excursions were sold out immediately and they were unable to add more trips. 

23 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@cruisemom42  I do think there are plans in the work to bring back the grand Med 

it is already released as the new ultimate

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E4M24A/O441A.html

Wondering if that’s not two combined, as it’s in Civitavecchia twice.  We’ve done three of these on HAL, 24, 23 and 21 days but they could all be booked in two parts.  Be very careful when you book.  We actually booked the last one as 23 days when later we discovered it was several thousand less to book separately. HAL gave us a credit which I hope wont become problematic. 

Curious if the 51 day Japan is a series?

Edited by bennybear

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

IMO, most long cruises are short cruises cobbled together. Our Voyage of the Vikings can be split into two cruises. It normally isn't a big deal, but it is nice to stay in our cabins when half the passengers are scrambling to leave the boat that morning. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Wondering if that’s not two combined, as it’s in Civitavecchia twice.  We’ve done three of these on HAL, 24, 23 and 21 days but they could all be booked in two parts.  Be very careful when you book.  We actually booked the last one as 23 days when later we discovered it was several thousand less to book separately. HAL gave us a credit which I hope wont become problematic. 

Curious if the 51 day Japan is a series?

The new ultimate cruises, to my knowledge, are not being divided up.  You would have to investigate further. The Japan is round trip from North America and again I am just not sure if they divided it, it is  intended to be a single voyage.  I am scheduled for the ultimate Alaska, which is not divided, but if I can convince the DH on 51 days we may go to Japan instead 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

IMO, most long cruises are short cruises cobbled together. Our Voyage of the Vikings can be split into two cruises. It normally isn't a big deal, but it is nice to stay in our cabins when half the passengers are scrambling to leave the boat that morning. 

The VOV has always been divided but it does not repeat ports and has aspects of the grand voyages such as better entertainment, better enrichment and specialty menus.  Many of the grand voyages have segments but are still distinguished by those better attributes and a better price tag too

(Oops meant to quote bennybear's post here)

It does look like it is a two-fer. I notice they are calling on Livorno and Naples twice as well.

I'd go on Oosterdam.....but NOT in mid-July and August. Too hot and crowded. 

I like to look for interesting itineraries on the edges of prime season in the Med (April to mid-May and mid-October through November. In the past, I've thought HAL returned to the US for the winter season earlier than some other lines....

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The new ultimate cruises, to my knowledge, are not being divided up.  You would have to investigate further. The Japan is round trip from North America and again I am just not sure if they divided it, it is  intended to be a single voyage.  I am scheduled for the ultimate Alaska, which is not divided, but if I can convince the DH on 51 days we may go to Japan instead 

Yep, just checked it out. It is offered as a 24-day or as a 14-day and then a 10-day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yep, just checked it out. It is offered as a 24-day or as a 14-day and then a 10-day.

Then I would wait until they announce the grand Med again.  Rumor is it will be reoffered .  For popular itineraries, like the Caribbean, Alaska and the Med, I would avoid at all costs anything under a 14 day run.  Not for me

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

We booked a 10 day on Koningsdam for Nov of this year out of San Diego & a 14 day on Zaandam- S Caribbean with no return to Ft Lauderdale in the middle for Feb of 2024.   HAL has a lot of longer cruises that are not collector cruises.

10 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

We booked a 10 day on Koningsdam for Nov of this year out of San Diego & a 14 day on Zaandam- S Caribbean with no return to Ft Lauderdale in the middle for Feb of 2024.   HAL has a lot of longer cruises that are not collector cruises.

Thanks -- guess I should've been clearer. "Longer" to me is more than 14 days and I was asking in the context of my recent 28-day Westerdam cruise, which was 2 14-day cruises put together. Basically I was hoping for, let's say, 21 day itineraries with no repeats.

To be clear, I can manage with a menu rotation that repeats after 14 days. But what got really old on Westerdam was the scarcity of entertainment. If you had already seen the Step One or Cantare show (and have seen it "before-before" as well), there aren't many other options, especially as the Music Row options tend to repeat their shows multiple times per voyage already....

• Like 1