Passport expiry rules

yorkshirephil

21 hours ago, newport dave said:

EU is 3 months

The devil in the detail.

The EU currently word it like this

"If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
    which was issued within the previous 10 years,"

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-nationals/index_en.htm

And have use the the following example in the past

"A British tourist arriving on 1 December 2021 for a 20-day stay in the EU with a passport issued on 2 December 2011 and valid until 2 April 2022 will be allowed entry"

https://twitter.com/EUdelegationUK/status/1537339481539346432

The UK gov currently explain it with the following

"If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must follow the Schengen area passport requirements.

Your passport must be:

issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)
    valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)"

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements#passport-validity

And P&O Cruises currently say:

"P&O Cruises guests can board and travel to EU countries* if their passport was issued less than 10 years before the day of embarkation and still has at least three months left before the date of expiry of the passport, as at the date of disembarkation (regardless of whether or not the passport has an extension period)."

https://www.pocruises.com/help/passports-and-visas

It might sound like splitting hairs but highlighting as these small differences are a matter of been allowed to travel or not. 

If you are looking at anything about this topic I would discard anything written/experienced before May 2022. Earlier than this there was what could be described as "official confusion". Industry and government harmonisation was finally in about a year ago with UK gov pages been some of the last to change. (see https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/foreign-office-passport-validity-europe-travel-b2077606.html )  

Edited by Chrish2

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Strange…….unless I’m imagining things, this all used to be so very simple and straightforward just two or three years ago. No ambiguities or complications at all.

I just know it's bloomin' expensive now!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Strange…….unless I’m imagining things, this all used to be so very simple and straightforward just two or three years ago. No ambiguities or complications at all.

yeah, odd isn't it! 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wonky said:

Just out of interest has anyone experienced any passport checks in Europe during a cruise? I’ve done the canaries and Spain/Portugal this winter and no checks.

Last cruise visited Trieste. Very officious jobsworths made us stand aside because we did not have our passports. Horizon said passports ashore not needed.  Apparently ship made an announcement but did not broadcast through cabins so many of us did not hear it.  Only country out of about 12 I have visited in past year where this has happened. 

2 hours ago, Wonky said:

Just out of interest has anyone experienced any passport checks in Europe during a cruise? I’ve done the canaries and Spain/Portugal this winter and no checks.

No passport checks In March Tenerife, Madeira, Cadiz, Valencia, Palma De Mallorca, Cagliari and Malta besides the airports.

Edited by carlanthony24

On 5/11/2023 at 1:15 PM, Cruise_Rookie_2010 said:

Thought I'd post an update, it might help give an impression of the current situation.

Posted the old passport on Tuesday (9th), signed for delivery (which cost £2.60), and today got a text confirmation from the passport office that they've received it.

We'll see how quickly the new passport gets processed.

Had confirmation yesterday that my new passport has been printed and will be sent out to me next week. I'm not sure whether to be happy or upset by the news, it's been much faster than I was expecting and I'd been prepared for a long wait and maybe some last minute drama as our next holiday got closer & closer (I can hear the Countdown clock sound playing in my head).

• Haha 3

Just back from the Baltic. We had to carry our passports at all times when in port. 

I was in the same situation at Yorkshirephil. It had enough months left after disembarking Thursday but not enough for my upcoming June cruise. I didn’t want to risk renewing my passport in the short time in between so I renewed before the May cruise. All completed online and very quick too.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 2:20 PM, Megabear2 said:

I'm just booking fast track for my OH.  I know his passport is valid for EU but very nervous of over officious officials.  Seems to be two choices.  Get a form from PO, complete it, attend Newport at a cost of £155 new passport sent within 7/8 days or £193.50 to apply online and then travel to Newport to collect it in person.  Seem to be same appointment times for each though!

We attended Newport for renewal / change of name on Saturday morning and  passport was back by Wednesday. So worth the extra money and drive. Super cheap fry up in the Asda opposite. 

Edited by Winifred 22
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My OH got theirs back in 16 days from the digital check and send at the post office. Having a chat when we had it back and they said that theirs were sent to Glasgow and there was no delay but others that were sent to Durham were experiencing big delays.