Starlink rolling out, please post ship, latency, and bandwidth you are seeing.

outtoseacruise

21 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Starlink became fully operational on the Enchanted Princess on Saturday May 20, 2023.  A great improvement over the internet service that was being provided prior to that on the Enchanted.  Very happy!!

Actually it was fully operational middle of last week. I know someone who was able to steam Netflix last either Wednesday or Thursday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, puggymom said:

Actually it was fully operational middle of last week. I know someone who was able to steam Netflix last either Wednesday or Thursday. 

You could always stream Netflix depending on the time of day & the numbers of people using the system.

Could someone post the speed using Starling on a sea day around 12 to 1 PM. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You could always stream Netflix depending on the time of day & the numbers of people using the system.

Could someone post the speed using Starling on a sea day around 12 to 1 PM. 

That’s true but it was operational mid last week. I think it was the day we were in Kusadasi 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As part of the Carnival brands, some Princess cruisers might be interested to know that are installing Starlink on the QM2 in the middle of the Atlantic. Starlink installation definitely does NOT require a dry dock or even a port stay. See pictures here:

Edited by Mercruiser

On 5/31/2023 at 7:55 AM, Mercruiser said:

As part of the Carnival brands, some Princess cruisers might be interested to know that are installing Starlink on the QM2 in the middle of the Atlantic. Starlink installation definitely does NOT require a dry dock or even a port stay. See pictures here:

OK... I want that install gig... sure they are working hard much of the day, but then they put human clothes on and enjoy the ship that night... 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, boufa said:

OK... I want that install gig... sure they are working hard much of the day, but then they put human clothes on and enjoy the ship that night... 

It does look like a sweet job assignment.

On 5/21/2023 at 8:53 AM, PrincessLuver said:

Starlink became fully operational on the Enchanted Princess on Saturday May 20, 2023.  A great improvement over the internet service that was being provided prior to that on the Enchanted.  Very happy!!

Great news!

• 3 weeks later...

Let me be honest - I can not believe you all think 3mg down and a fraction of a meg up is usable. I am on Sapphire now, in Alaska, and those are the numbers I get consistently through the ship. And according to the speedtests I run, they are using Starlink. Three weeks ago I was on Royal's Radiance of the Seas, which also has Starlink installed and was getting up to 60 and 70 meg down, maybe 10 up. And that was before they started installing new wiring, routers and access points. The Princess implementation of Starlink is atrocious. 

Edited by viapanam
Correct the download speed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, viapanam said:

Let me be honest - I can not believe you all think 3mg down and a fraction of a meg up is usable. I am on Sapphire now, in Alaska, and those are the numbers I get consistently through the ship. And according to the speedtests I run, they are using Starlink. Three weeks ago I was on Royal's Radiance of the Seas, which also has Starlink installed and was getting up to 60 and 70 meg down, maybe 10 up. And that was before they started installing new wiring, routers and access points. The Princess implementation of Starlink is atrocious. 

Some people are easy to please?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, viapanam said:

Rants are expected but is anyone willing to post test links?

On Island right now. StarLink became active June 12 so this the first cruise. I have found the speed amazing for a cruise ship. Download is 3.66 and Upload is 4.8. Doesn’t sound great but we are in northern Norway and it is 8:15 in the morning. The surprising part is that I have been streaming tv news with a vpn and there is no problem. We lost the tv channels (off and on) a couple of days ago but using my subscription for YouTube TV and a vpn, I have access to all the channels I have at home. And surprisingly, they have been strong. We have  been in 2 fjords with snow capped mountains and Wi-Fi is still good! 

The crew is very happy too and several have said they noticed a big difference. 

Websites, email, and photos seem fine. Nothing is terribly fast but certainly useable. And I am happy- and no, I do not like to disconnect while on vacation. To each her own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, travelers07 said:

On Island right now. StarLink became active June 12 so this the first cruise. I have found the speed amazing for a cruise ship. Download is 3.66 and Upload is 4.8.

Is that reading at 3 AM in the morning or at 11 AM on a sea day?

It does make a difference. 

7 hours ago, travelers07 said:

On Island right now. StarLink became active June 12 so this the first cruise. I have found the speed amazing for a cruise ship. Download is 3.66 and Upload is 4.8. Doesn’t sound great but we are in northern Norway and it is 8:15 in the morning. The surprising part is that I have been streaming tv news with a vpn and there is no problem. We lost the tv channels (off and on) a couple of days ago but using my subscription for YouTube TV and a vpn, I have access to all the channels I have at home. And surprisingly, they have been strong. We have  been in 2 fjords with snow capped mountains and Wi-Fi is still good! 

The crew is very happy too and several have said they noticed a big difference. 

Websites, email, and photos seem fine. Nothing is terribly fast but certainly useable. And I am happy- and no, I do not like to disconnect while on vacation. To each her own.

Also on Island Princess. 

This is especially impressive given that Island Princess was at 70 degrees latitude when this post was written. Starlink has very few satellites beyond 60 degrees latitude. We can expect better speeds at latitudes of < 60 degrees.

On a related note, I'm NOT using ship internet. I am only using cellular data. Right now, on a sea day, we are 55 miles from the nearest land and I'm getting a very usable cell signal from our balcony. I've been very impressed with the cell service in Norwegian ports. We have been in tiny, remote villages with 50 residents that have very good cellular data throughput. 

FWIW, I'm using Google Fi Unlimited Plus with 50 GB per month data. 

Edited by Mercruiser

Am currently on the Caribbean Princess. Was playing pickle ball yesterday afternoon and observed a security officer with a Starlink contractor. The officer opened a locked access panel and allowed the contractor to go on top of Skywalker's to take signal strength measurements. Had a chance to chat with them. Starlink will be soon installed on the CB, just don't know how soon.

• Like 1

Speedtest results are traffic shaped.  Latency and packet loss are much more important factors when streaming or doing something interactive.   I have zero problems with them throttling to protect latency and deliver 99%+ of packets.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

we are 55 miles from the nearest land and I'm getting a very usable cell signal from our balcony. I've been very impressed with the cell service in Norwegian ports.

Norway makes a point of have good offshore coastal coverage to support fishing and oil industry.

1 hour ago, mrmoviezombie said:

Norway makes a point of have good offshore coastal coverage to support fishing and oil industry.

That makes sense and explains why they have such good cell service offshore of sparsely populated land.

3 hours ago, gamja said:

Currently on the Enchanted. Can pretty much upload and stream anything 24/7. Game changing imo.

image.thumb.jpeg.21d8a1745602ef22f74ffb67374e49e1.jpeg

That is nothing to get excited about especially if you need to work and remote into a server or other computer through a VPN. 

Last week in the Mediterranean I was just barely able to work and do what I needed with the below results on Odyssey doing the Eastern Med.  

4210a2f759b5032de6bc21b3103bc8610964eb9d-3.jpg