No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

27 minutes ago, jennjess said:

Surely they would be advised about these restrictions/liabilites when they book their berths in the ports.  It's not as if they can just show up and dock is it?

Of course they are advised in advance. Most fair minded people realize all that is lined up well in advance with the port agents and local authorities....bunkering, dockage fees, port charges, berth assignments. The notion that the ship pulls up to the dock and is faced with haphazard, unannounced, surprise charges is hilarious, and just serves as a distraction from the fact that NCL continues to collect money for a service that it is not able to provide.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

For our UK readers - https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ncl.com

Not a good read even before this fiasco.

but tbh there were few good reviews for any cruiseline.  I have just had an interesting thirty minutes looking through NCL RCI and MSC.  Many complaints along the lines of - someone in the party got sick, I don’t have insurance and they won’t refund me.  Most say I won’t cruise with “X” line again.   We are going to run out of cruise lines to run to.  Maybe prices will have to rise across the board.  

2 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Of course they are advised in advance. Most fair minded people realize all that is lined up well in advance with the port agents and local authorities....bunkering, dockage fees, port charges, berth assignments. The notion that the ship pulls up to the dock and is faced with haphazard, unannounced, surprise charges is hilarious, and just serves as a distraction from the fact that NCL continues to collect money for a service that it is not able to provide.

Exactly, it's a service they can provide but don't want to (for probably financial reasons).  Not good PR at all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Might be good to give some of the cruise bloggers on YouTube a heads up on the issue - La Lido Loca, Emma Cruises, Gary Bembridge (sp?) and Jay (forget his last name).  Could be good material for their daily segments. 

Personally, I have decided I don't want to pay $400 in FAS gratuities on our cruise in a few weeks with this uncertainty.  I believe you can cancel drink packages 48 hours in advance and when I do I will certainly tell them why.  We will be the first Baltic cruise (so the situation in those ports cannot be known in advance).  The cruise is very port heavy anyway - no sea days at all - so we would probably only break even anyway.  I'll dust off the ol' Rum Runners too, just in case!

Emma is already aware, she had the same issue in Gibraltar before. 

Gary Bembridge doesn’t associate with peasant lines like NCL anymore 🤣

I’ve reached out the Ben and David - they’re pretty honest and happy to call out wrongdoing from the cruise lines.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

You can read it on this very thread:

"We are on vacation and like to have a drink.We have visited guest services to complain, their stance is, it’s the law, it’s nothing to do with duty and HMRC."

People are assuming NCL has given accurate information to Guest Services. As a former crew member of several lines I can tell you there is often a complete disconnect from shoreside and ship crew. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SakeDad said:

People are assuming NCL has given accurate information to Guest Services. As a former crew member of several lines I can tell you there is often a complete disconnect from shoreside and ship crew. 

I’d be amazed if NCL has given accurate information to their staff (see the examples of people being told by phone staff that there is no problem).

The blame us not with the individuals. Another reason why NCL need to get this sorted for the sake of their staff who are under unnecessary pressure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

How walkable that is depends on what luggage you have and what terminal you are at. A lot of people say that the nearby railway station is too far to walk with bags.

There is also a co-op near the Premier Inn, which is closer (as well as M&S in West Quay.

Majestic is nearer to Horizon terminal than the Premier Inn co-op.

Majestic you should be able to pre order for collection, short stop in the taxi before going to the terminal.

There's just something about this whole thread that feels like there's something missing in all of this.  I can't imagine NCL stating "it's the law" and then dropping it.  There's something more to it, I'm thinking.

Again, what did NCL state when you asked to have your bill adjusted?

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Majestic you should be able to pre order for collection, short stop in the taxi before going to the terminal.

That's a better option if you are in a taxi. The taxi can wait outside while you pickup.

Not an option to do this at Asda.

Clipboard01.jpg

On 5/11/2023 at 7:11 PM, Greener123 said:

It’ll be interesting to see what happens on Sunday with Dawn docked in Southampton with Anthem of the seas at the next birth, Arvia and Arcadia both in on the same day. See if there similar tales on any of those ships - due to customs and border restrictions. 

there’s no way any other line/ship/sailing would have had this issue and it not have been mentioned anywhere. 

So now everyone has to bring their own wine if they want to cruise NCL.

What's next?

Bring your own sheets and pillows?

Bring your own pool chairs so you can hog them without guilt?

Bring your own Ziplocs? (Oh wait, bad example...people already do that).

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

7 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

100% right.

We were actually in Cagney's for a 7pm reservation, it was a birthday celebration with no drinks, you were not even allowed the free Platinum bottle.

Service started restated somewhere between 9.30 & 10pm while we were back in the atrium.

Incidentally several people walked out cancelling their reservations.

Shame some people on here can't see how this is an issue and consider it a "eye roll" situation.

Tonight we are in Mondeo, hey ho another dry specialty meal unless we bring our own...... But then to some that's just an "eye roll".

That's strange that you couldn't have your platinum bottle. I just saw this on a NCL Dawn FB group  someone got a response from NCL saying guests with Pre-paid beverage packs would be served. 

Screenshot_20230515_232944.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

That's strange that you couldn't have your platinum bottle. I just saw this on a NCL Dawn FB group  someone got a response from NCL saying guests with Pre-paid beverage packs would be served. 

Doesn't explain why UK ports they are not allowing people with beverage package get a drink unfortunately 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

FINE PRINT MATTERS.....However in certain ports of call which will be specified ONBOARD (in other words stop emailing and calling us as we don't know).....so they are not explaining which ports or why you may or may NOT get served even with the Plus package.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

.However in certain ports of call which will be specified ONBOARD 

What a bunch of horse hockey 

Looks like I can cross NCL off my list for UK/European trips

Thank god Princess in come to my home port (PC) next year. Who knows if this NCL incompetence will spread?

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

This is not how it played out in Livorno a few weeks ago. No hard alcohol/spirits were served to anyone onboard while docked or for the remainder of the evening. It didn't matter if you did or didn't have the package. Beer and wine were available. Also, doesn't reconcile with the behavior of the other cruise lines that have been able to serve alcohol. I can't imagine the entire industry is breaking the rules, except for NCL.

• Like 4

Also being discussed on P&O Boards here on Cruise Critic. 

No issues with alcohol being served in UK ports on P&O. Continues to be solely and exclusively an NCL issue.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

First signs of cracks.  Stay tuned.  This will end quickly.  Somebody (or team) at NCL is going to be missing a lot of sleep over the next couple of days.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

This is not how it played out in Livorno a few weeks ago. No hard alcohol/spirits were served to anyone onboard while docked or for the remainder of the evening. It didn't matter if you did or didn't have the package. Beer and wine were available. Also, doesn't reconcile with the behavior of the other cruise lines that have been able to serve alcohol. I can't imagine the entire industry is breaking the rules, except for NCL.

No I expect it is just another company line as they are probably inundated with queries.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

No I expect it is just another company line as they are probably inundated with queries.

54 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

When I was on the Epic ending 5/7 a couple bartenders told us after their weekly meeting that all of the Epic overnight stops for this season will only serve beer and wine while in port. I passed that on to another cruise group today (their cruise has 3 overnights. One Rome, one Livorno and One Barcelona) Someone called their TA and said NCL said no only Livorno.since that’s the only overnight so far I don’t have anything to show that’s wrong.we were booked on this cruise but have cancelled it. I’ll wait to see how this season shakes out.

• Like 1

I sent an email to NCL Public Relations outlining the limited beverage service and that NCL appears to be the only cruise line with significant restrictions.  I didn’t send this with ANY thought that I will receive a response, More with the thought that if senior leadership or corp office isn’t aware of the issue, they might invite others to get involved.  If NCL is aware, and believes issues are beyond their control, maybe they will publish a press release addressing, OR, maybe they will simply ignore.  May end up being a complete waste of time, but WTH.  

Edited by cruise52
  • Like 4