No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

1 hour ago, johala_reewi said:

On Star. Bars are open.  Wine and beer ordered no problem in buffet. 

Cheers, Just ordered at O'sheehan's.   Full bar open.   I guess those extra bottles of wine packed will just have to wait. 🙂

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Krydstosser said:

Thanks! So did UK change their regulations? They must have since they can serve in ports now? 😂

It was NEVER the UK policies....it was NCL being stupid 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Hmmm.  I've been tracking this, as I am sailing aboard the Dawn in July for a 15-day cruise around the British Isles, France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany.  Personally as a light drinker - this isn't that big of a deal, BUT - not receiving value for money-spent, that IS an issue.  Have a friend just wrapping up a cruise aboard the Star, who said the issue appears to be resolved.  Anyone have an update?

Several posters reporting directly from on board the Dawn and the Star this morning say the bars are open and serving beer, wine and spirits again.  Like you, though, I am still a bit uneasy that there may be a recurrence going forward.  We are on the Dawn's first foray this season into the Baltics (June 13 - Copenhagen to Stockholm).  NCL has a history of pulling this nonsense on first visits of the season.  I hope they don't "forget" to pay the duty in our ports.

• Like 4

Many thanks.  I cannot understand the rationale for this - er - policy.  It's a cruise ship.  Folks are on vacation.  They'd like to enjoy cocktails, etc.  It seems like the cruise line is setting itself up for a lot of unnecessary angst.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SakeDad said:

It was NEVER the UK policies....it was NCL being stupid 

If the cruise starts in the UK but does not stop at other UK ports, alcohol can be served duty free. If its a round Britain trip  then tax and alcohol duty have to be paid. Other cruise lines either charge customers the extra tax or absorb the cost themselves. Probably  passing the cost on through increased charges for trips etc.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 8:02 AM, dexddd said:

So basically they missed final payment date.  No line of credit?

I can Venmo money in minutes! There must be a way a corporation can send money just as fast. Not buying the idea that 2 days isn’t enough time to pay any bill!

48 minutes ago, Mr_Steve_&_Me said:

I can Venmo money in minutes! There must be a way a corporation can send money just as fast. Not buying the idea that 2 days isn’t enough time to pay any bill!

Of course they would just use CHAPS. It would cost them around £25 in fees.

• Like 1