Volendam in Juneau on May 12, 2023

leerathje

ms Volendam will be at CT dock from 1:00 pm to 10:00 pm, and she is on a 7 day Alaska Inside Passage

image.jpeg.bbe87ff48d49bee62493acd000ab95e5.jpeg

Also in port is Sapphire Princess at FKL dock (12:00 pm to 10:15 pm) and Quantum of the Seas at AJD dock (1:00 pm to 9:00 pm)

The PTZtv webcam can be found at https://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/

Next up:  Koningsdam and Eurodam on May 15, 2023.

Leanne

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

Volendam still in 'radio dead zone'. No idea how close to Juneau she is.

Should emerge soon.  Cruisemapper also tracks satellite positioning and shows Volendam about where @Sharon in AZ indicated.  Strangely, schedule shows a technical stop at the current location but it does not appear to be happening.  The normal purpose is a rendezvous with a small boat which goes far up Tracy Arm, but that's normally only done with the cruises from Vancouver to Skagway that end with a land tour.  Those cruises do not have any glacier viewing from the ship so they do it there.  Since Volendam goes to glacier bay they generally do not offer the Tracy Arm tour.

Roy

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Should emerge soon.  Cruisemapper also tracks satellite positioning and shows Volendam about where @Sharon in AZ indicated.  Strangely, schedule shows a technical stop at the current location but it does not appear to be happening.  The normal purpose is a rendezvous with a small boat which goes far up Tracy Arm, but that's normally only done with the cruises from Vancouver to Skagway that end with a land tour.  Those cruises do not have any glacier viewing from the ship so they do it there.  Since Volendam goes to glacier bay they generally do not offer the Tracy Arm tour.

Roy

Just FYI.  I'm on the 11/23 Inside Passage cruise on the Volendam.  It goes to glacier bay and it also offers the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion.

-gregma

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

Just FYI.  I'm on the 11/23 Inside Passage cruise on the Volendam.  It goes to glacier bay and it also offers the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion.

-gregma

I just found out that the Tracy Arm excursion were canceled. Not sure when, but I know it hasn’t been offered since embarkation. I’m thinking that it was due to lack of participation of the excursion. 

3 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I just found out that the Tracy Arm excursion were canceled. Not sure when, but I know it hasn’t been offered since embarkation. I’m thinking that it was due to lack of participation of the excursion. 

That could very well be true!  Such a shame.

-gregma

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

I see Quantum otS is going to block out Volendam's docking. I wonder if she was a late addition to the port schedule? Boo! Hiss!

No, it was listed as the AJ dock, not the AS dock. 

Roy

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

No, it was listed as the AJ dock, not the AS dock. 

Roy

Thanks, I missed that. I only paid attention to the piers mentioned - not the ships. We've had a couple of changes before - where a smaller ship needed a different pier in order to get supplies or maintenance.

31 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

-gregma

Are you doing the entire 7 days?  At least in season, some people get off in Skagway and continue on a land cruise.  They would be off  and replaced by people coming from land tours by the tine Volendam goes to glacier bay and I think the Tracy Arm option is primarily for their benefit.

Roy

22 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

I see Quantum otS is going to block out Volendam's docking. I wonder if she was a late addition to the port schedule? Boo! Hiss!

I'm booked on the Volendam in August. Both of the dates that I considered showed the Quantum in Juneau on the same days as the Volendam. The other ports will be shared with multiple ships. Should I be concerned about the crowds? 

On 5/12/2023 at 12:40 PM, rafinmd said:

Are you doing the entire 7 days?  At least in season, some people get off in Skagway and continue on a land cruise.  They would be off  and replaced by people coming from land tours by the tine Volendam goes to glacier bay and I think the Tracy Arm option is primarily for their benefit.

Roy

We are indeed doing the full 7-day round trip.  Wasn't even aware some passengers get off mid-cruise!

-gregma