New York City

Suttontnt

10 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

On a Wed. morning in rush hour, do you have any Idea how long it would take to get to the Manhattan Terminal?

As noted above, for price, Queens County, both near the airports and Long Island City, are generally a better choice than Manhattan. Long Island City, is very close, perhaps 30 minutes by either hired vehicle or subway. From LaGuardia Airport, allow about 45 to 60 minutes by hired vehicle. There are some "airport hotels" in central Flushing, from which you could also easily travel to Manhattan (Pennsylvania Station) via Long Island Rail Road in about 20 minutes . . . add another 20 minutes to that getting to the port itself.

12 hours ago, GTJ said:

As noted above, for price, Queens County, both near the airports and Long Island City, are generally a better choice than Manhattan. Long Island City, is very close, perhaps 30 minutes by either hired vehicle or subway. From LaGuardia Airport, allow about 45 to 60 minutes by hired vehicle. There are some "airport hotels" in central Flushing, from which you could also easily travel to Manhattan (Pennsylvania Station) via Long Island Rail Road in about 20 minutes . . . add another 20 minutes to that getting to the port itself.

Thank You!! The Marriott Aloft at the LGA airport sounds good, Just as long as I can find reliable Transportation to Manhattan Cruise Pier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Thank You!! The Marriott Aloft at the LGA airport sounds good, Just as long as I can find reliable Transportation to Manhattan Cruise Pier.

I cannot vouch for the present quality of service with the hotel, but I have no reason to believe it does not meet ordinary expectations. It is a busy area for hired transportation--lots of yellow taxis pass through the area--so that type of transportation should not be unduly difficult to arrange. Public transportation from this hotel is doable, but not the best (the Q23 bus begins its route from just outside the hotel, but requires a connection in Corona, Queens, for the subway into Manhattan). There is little commercial or pedestrian activity along the streets immediately outside the hotel, and very few dining choices outside the hotel restaurant, but if all you're seeking is a place to sleep, it should work out fine.

4 hours ago, GTJ said:

I cannot vouch for the present quality of service with the hotel, but I have no reason to believe it does not meet ordinary expectations. It is a busy area for hired transportation--lots of yellow taxis pass through the area--so that type of transportation should not be unduly difficult to arrange. Public transportation from this hotel is doable, but not the best (the Q23 bus begins its route from just outside the hotel, but requires a connection in Corona, Queens, for the subway into Manhattan). There is little commercial or pedestrian activity along the streets immediately outside the hotel, and very few dining choices outside the hotel restaurant, but if all you're seeking is a place to sleep, it should work out fine.

TY!! Have you ever heard of Continental car shuttle. That is the name and number the hotel gave me to set up my shuttle to the Manhattan Pier? 

36 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

Have you ever heard of Continental car shuttle. That is the name and number the hotel gave me to set up my shuttle to the Manhattan Pier? 

Rarely do I ever rely on hired cars (the last time I did so was about 16 months when requesting a ride through the Uber platform from the Bayonne cruise terminal to the local light rail station). The legal name of the corporation is Continental Radio Dispatch Corp. Be mindful that Continental is not a company that provides transportation. Rather, it is a TLC-licensed base. In other words, Continental arranges for transportation, but does not, itself, provide any transportation. The base is located near the hotel, at 98-02 Astoria Boulevard, in East Elmhurst. The hotel probably suggests calling this base because most of the drivers who take calls from this base are likely located locally, and are more responsive than drivers who take calls from larger city-wide bases. It is difficult to evaluate hired car services because the services are not employees of the bases. You can get a good driver or a bad driver, and drivers jump from one base to another. You can check with the TLC to see if a base is lawafully-licensed: http://data.cityofnewyork.us/Transportation/For-Hire-Vehicles-FHV-Active/8wbx-tsch/data. Continental is licensed by TLC as a base. I see no reason to use, or not to use, Continental with respect for it arranging transportation for you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GTJ said:

Rarely do I ever rely on hired cars (the last time I did so was about 16 months when requesting a ride through the Uber platform from the Bayonne cruise terminal to the local light rail station). The legal name of the corporation is Continental Radio Dispatch Corp. Be mindful that Continental is not a company that provides transportation. Rather, it is a TLC-licensed base. In other words, Continental arranges for transportation, but does not, itself, provide any transportation. The base is located near the hotel, at 98-02 Astoria Boulevard, in East Elmhurst. The hotel probably suggests calling this base because most of the drivers who take calls from this base are likely located locally, and are more responsive than drivers who take calls from larger city-wide bases. It is difficult to evaluate hired car services because the services are not employees of the bases. You can get a good driver or a bad driver, and drivers jump from one base to another. You can check with the TLC to see if a base is lawafully-licensed: http://data.cityofnewyork.us/Transportation/For-Hire-Vehicles-FHV-Active/8wbx-tsch/data. Continental is licensed by TLC as a base. I see no reason to use, or not to use, Continental with respect for it arranging transportation for you.

Thank You for that very knowledgeable answer. In your opinion would it be better to call Yellow cab?I will need room for at least 3 people and 5 bags.

13 hours ago, GTJ said:

TY!! Have you ever heard of Continental car shuttle. That is the name and number the hotel gave me to set up my shuttle to the Manhattan Pier? 

Your food options will be extremely limited staying at a NYC airport hotel. Unless you have a very early morning flight and want to be close to airport to take their shuttle, I wouldn't suggest it. 

If you do stay at an airport hotel, I wouldn't book a car service in advance, unless you have special needs (including a limited budget).  You will always be able to get an Uber within a few minutes unless you are in a storm, and then your car service might cancel on you. An hour before you are ready to go, just check Uber for price and how long for pickup. It should say a few minutes. If it doesn't,  plan to leave earlier.  Uber has surge pricing  and at very busy times the Uber fare can go very high. Your fallback is to get on the airport shuttle and get on the taxi/yellow cab line at any terminal.   In the worst of the worst traffic/construction delays, i never waited more than 30 minutes on that line. If you stayed in Manhattan and your ship leaves from Manhattan you wouldn't have anything to worry about. If you are fit and can roll your suitcase you could even walk from some hotels, if need be. 

Edited by JFontaine
  • Like 1

Dial 7 and Carmel are the most recommended car services.  When  a hotel sets up a ride, they usually add surcharges and fees, especially if using a broker instead of booking direct.

Cabs are fine, so are uber/lyft

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

In your opinion would it be better to call Yellow cab? I will need room for at least 3 people and 5 bags.

No, you cannot call for a yellow cab (lower-case "yellow": it is a descriptive adjective, not the proper name of a company). Yellow taxis are prohibited from taking radio calls. Taxis will transport up to four passengers (three in the back, one up front), but some vehicles have a small trunk. Other taxis use larger vehicles which should be able to accept your baggage. Look for a Toyota Sienna as pictured below.

Toyota_Sienna_taxicab_NYC.jpg

There are at least two apps that allow you to request a yellow cab  - Curb and Arro - I believe. I'm in NYC cabs every day (or give up and get a Uber) and I haven't tried these apps. The drivers I speak to say that they don't like them - often they respond to a request but by the time they get there the passenger has spotted another cab and taken off.  But I have tried to hail empty cabs (light on the top is on) only to be told they're waiting for a pickup. 

15 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

There are at least two apps that allow you to request a yellow cab  - Curb and Arro - I believe. I'm in NYC cabs every day (or give up and get a Uber) and I haven't tried these apps. The drivers I speak to say that they don't like them - often they respond to a request but by the time they get there the passenger has spotted another cab and taken off.  But I have tried to hail empty cabs (light on the top is on) only to be told they're waiting for a pickup. 

TY!! I will down load them.

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

In TLC parlance and generically, these are E-hail Applications. The applications were not designed for reserving transportation at a future time, and the TLC rules generally treat these applications in the same manner as hailing a taxi by hand. Accordingly, just as a potential passenger might hail a taxi by hand, but upon the taxi stopping that person might decide not to ride (perhaps choosing a "better" taxi, a different means of transportation, or just no longer wanting to travel), the same is true for E-hails as noted by the drivers to whom you have spoken. The E-hail Applications were intended to provide a more level playing field for yellow taxi drivers to compete with TNC vehicles.

Generally, yellow taxis must not refuse to transport passengers. 35 RCNY 80-20(a). There are a limited number of exceptions to this general rule, one of which is "The Driver has already acknowledged a Hail from another person, and that other person is being picked up or is about to be picked up." 35 RCNY 80-20(b)(2). In other words, if the driver has already acknowledged an E-hail, then that driver can refuse other potential passengers who attempt to hail by hand. I am not certain of the details of yellow taxi Technology System--upon the driver acknowledging an E-hail the available light should be extinguished--but perhaps some others with knowledge here can explain in more detail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

In TLC parlance and generically, these are E-hail Applications. The applications were not designed for reserving transportation at a future time, and the TLC rules generally treat these applications in the same manner as hailing a taxi by hand. Accordingly, just as a potential passenger might hail a taxi by hand, but upon the taxi stopping that person might decide not to ride (perhaps choosing a "better" taxi, a different means of transportation, or just no longer wanting to travel), the same is true for E-hails as noted by the drivers to whom you have spoken. The E-hail Applications were intended to provide a more level playing field for yellow taxi drivers to compete with TNC vehicles.

Generally, yellow taxis must not refuse to transport passengers. 35 RCNY 80-20(a). There are a limited number of exceptions to this general rule, one of which is "The Driver has already acknowledged a Hail from another person, and that other person is being picked up or is about to be picked up." 35 RCNY 80-20(b)(2). In other words, if the driver has already acknowledged an E-hail, then that driver can refuse other potential passengers who attempt to hail by hand. I am not certain of the details of yellow taxi Technology System--upon the driver acknowledging an E-hail the available light should be extinguished--but perhaps some others with knowledge here can explain in more detail.

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 6/5/2023 at 8:40 PM, GTJ said:

Well I just booked the Fairfield inn New York laguardia airport/Flushing. It was much cheaper than the cost of a hotel near the cruise terminal. Now all I have to do is find a very reliable shuttle service to get us to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Edited by Topdog52

1 hour ago, addicted to crusing said:

So we are flying into LaGuardia and will need to go to a hotel near the cruise port. So I think I am seeing that taking a Uber is better, correct?

From LaG getting into a yellow cab is very easy, you go to the cab stand. It’s a regulated price. It’s easier for my Mom then she doesn’t have to try to find her car amongst all the Ubers. 

1 hour ago, Topdog52 said:

Well I just booked the Fairfield inn New York laguardia airport/Flushing. It was much cheaper than the cost of a hotel near the cruise terminal. Now all I have to do is find a very reliable shuttle service to get us to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

You don't want a "shuttle service" as that descriptive term really isn't used in Ny City. The names of a couple of car services have already been mentioned in this thread, or alternatively Uber/Lyft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, addicted to crusing said:

So we are flying into LaGuardia and will need to go to a hotel near the cruise port. So I think I am seeing that taking a Uber is better, correct?

Car service, taxi, Uber or Lyft will all work. I wouldn't describe any one of them as "better" than the others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

I live in Flushing, and am quite familiar with the area. The hotel is located in an industrial area, immediately adjacent to a large ConEd (public utility) facility and a view of a large transit bus garage. While Flushing, itself, is a vibrant commercial area, and College Point a bit less so, this hotel is actually in a more desolate area between Flushing and College Point, and has no restaurants or other substantial consumer commerce in the immediate area. There is a multiplex movie theatre less than a mile away, so you could have some evening entertainment there. For just a comfortable overnight stay, and no other expectations, it should be just fine. Ordinarily, when we go to a port for a cruise, we walk from from our home in Flushing to the subway, a reliable means of travel. The Fairfield Inn is distant from the subway, and it would not be particularly convenient. There is an express bus to Manhattan that leaves from the front of the movie theatre: it goes to 48th Street and Sixth Avenue reliably with about 40 minutes travel time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

You don't want a "shuttle service" as that descriptive term really isn't used in Ny City.

The city administrative rules actually contain an official definition for the term: "Shuttle bus.The term 'shuttle bus' means a bus operating entirely within the City of New York that does not charge a fee to its passengers" 34 RCNY § 4-01. It is administrative term used to classify certain types of bus service (think of the Downtown Connection bus service in lower Manhattan that is sponsored by the Downtown Alliance business improvement district). It is a term rarely used in ordinary conversation for this meaning.

I rarely use the term "shuttle," and here in New York I think the same is true for most other people (other than in the context of the shuttle flights to Boston and Washington, and even there is really is not used anymore, as there no longer exist the shuttle flights as they used to operate). I think that some people might use the term because they don't want to say "bus," or maybe wanting to be more inclusive than just buses, but it is not always clear what is meant by the term. The term "shuttle" does not really mean anything specifically, but instead means what its speaker intends it to mean. Almost always there is a better word to describe what is meant with less ambiguity.

7 hours ago, GTJ said:

I live in Flushing, and am quite familiar with the area. The hotel is located in an industrial area, immediately adjacent to a large ConEd (public utility) facility and a view of a large transit bus garage. While Flushing, itself, is a vibrant commercial area, and College Point a bit less so, this hotel is actually in a more desolate area between Flushing and College Point, and has no restaurants or other substantial consumer commerce in the immediate area. There is a multiplex movie theatre less than a mile away, so you could have some evening entertainment there. For just a comfortable overnight stay, and no other expectations, it should be just fine. Ordinarily, when we go to a port for a cruise, we walk from from our home in Flushing to the subway, a reliable means of travel. The Fairfield Inn is distant from the subway, and it would not be particularly convenient. There is an express bus to Manhattan that leaves from the front of the movie theatre: it goes to 48th Street and Sixth Avenue reliably with about 40 minutes travel time.

Thank You, I we will need is a food deliver, for the night. 

11 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

From LaG getting into a yellow cab is very easy, you go to the cab stand. It’s a regulated price. It’s easier for my Mom then she doesn’t have to try to find her car amongst all the Ubers. 

Good to hear from someone who knows something about transportation from LGA.

14 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Cabs from LGA ARE NOT PRICE FIXED like they are from JFK.  You are on the Meter.  If you want to call that "regulated" then technically it is, but traffic and detours or a shifty cabby could make the price grow dramatically.  From JFK the price is FIXED.

So at Rush Hour your fare from LGA might surprise you, although it is unlikely to be higher than a fare from JFK, which is fixed at $70 + tolls and fees, so works out to about $100 with tip.