Drinks Package Changes

Mad4WDW

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

If you are light drinkers - the package will not work for you and you are probably best just doing a PAYG.  The drinks prices on P & O (at present anyway) are very reasonable.  

Which is what we do, but the question still stands why not a drinks package per cabin? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Where / when can I find details of the new package proposals ? 

Current package is much too restrictive (single measures / small glasses of wine etc) so I'd happily pay a bit more to loosen these up (come in to line with Princess / Celebrity). 

Appreciate the package is not for everyone but .............my wife and I (and our travelling companions) will generally achieve the £45 per day (most days anyway - we don't "count") so think the package is good value for us.   Note : we are not alcoholics - we drink very moderately at home but a few coffees during the morning, glass (or 2) of wine at lunch, a couple of beers in the afternoon and then pre dinner drinks / cocktails and 1/2 bottle of wine each at dinner - we are pretty much there.  Add a post dinner drink (or 2) and a couple of bottles of water / soft drinks throughout the day and think we are well there ! 

The only issue in the past has been the restrictions on cocktails / mixers - so hopefully this will now be improved. 

md    ar 

That's a lot of booze. We don't drink til dinner time and an aperitif after dinner. 2 people on a 2 week cruise is over £1200.

• Like 3

Pre-Pandemic P & O had a beer package.  Can't remember the exact price, but it was something like £80 for 20 draught pints.  Not particularly great if you're on cooking lager, but worth it for stuff like Peroni or Stella.  Peninsula Club discount as well.  Would certainly go for it again as long it was say no more than £90.

It looks as though the cruiseline is introducing booze cruises now. Remember, the definition of heavy drinking is over 4 drinks per day or 15 per week for men.. I reckon the drinks packages are well over triple this amount....making it a cruise that AA would be interested in. The alcoholic abuse is one reason I stopped cruising on P&O after experience on Iona.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

End of the day nobody knows what Premium price is definitely going to be, actual price and dreaded T&C's. So best to see what changes there will be to drinks packages. Princess bought out a Premium package including speciality dining as well as other offers and not just higher drinks limit. Wait and see then we can comment without all the guess work. Then like everything else in life if it works for you fine purchase it if not don't. It is all down to personal opinion and nothing to with others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

That's a lot of booze. We don't drink til dinner time and an aperitif after dinner. 2 people on a 2 week cruise is over £1200.

£1200 would last us 2 years or more in alcoholic drinks!

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

It looks as though the cruiseline is introducing booze cruises now. Remember, the definition of heavy drinking is over 4 drinks per day or 15 per week for men.. I reckon the drinks packages are well over triple this amount....making it a cruise that AA would be interested in. The alcoholic abuse is one reason I stopped cruising on P&O after experience on Iona.

Friends of Bill W meeting today on Arvia wasn't well attended when I looked so don't think AA has the message.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Current package is much too restrictive (single measures / small glasses of wine etc) so I'd happily pay a bit more to loosen these up (come in to line with Princess / Celebrity). 

Appreciate the package is not for everyone but .............my wife and I (and our travelling companions) will generally achieve the £45 per day (most days anyway - we don't "count") so think the package is good value for us.   Note : we are not alcoholics - we drink very moderately at home but a few coffees during the morning, glass (or 2) of wine at lunch, a couple of beers in the afternoon and then pre dinner drinks / cocktails and 1/2 bottle of wine each at dinner - we are pretty much there.  Add a post dinner drink (or 2) and a couple of bottles of water / soft drinks throughout the day and think we are well there ! 

The only issue in the past has been the restrictions on cocktails / mixers - so hopefully this will now be improved. 

md    ar 

This is us as well and we are going with another two couples on our cruise who are now holding off to see the T&C’s for the new package coming out. The drinks package price at the moment is reasonable as well looking at what we would drink on this versus PAYG it makes sense to us for the drinks package. We would be drinking Coffee/tea during the day and after dinner, soft drinks/ water during the day and even at night in between alcoholic drinks. Cocktails, glass of wine with lunch and dinner and also spirits later or even a beer all spaced out during the day/evening etc. On holiday for two weeks in the Caribbean in good company we are going to enjoy ourselves.We All work hard all year round and nice to chill out for the two weeks.

P & O are giving you a choice, it’s down to the individual what works for them. Drinks package or PAYG. Each to your own. Enjoy.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I must have missed that promotion? What does it entail?

It was an email send out last year to encourage people back on board. You had to book a seaview or above on select fare to get a free ultimate drink package. .

4 minutes ago, Babybooface said:

It was an email send out last year to encourage people back on board. You had to book a seaview or above on select fare to get a free ultimate drink package. .

Thanks. I don’t remember that one. 

22 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Nor do I. Maybe it was for selected ex cruisers.

Maybe, I certainly never had an offer like that. Probably because we seem to have a rolling 4 or 5 cruises booked with P&O we don't qualify.

• Like 1

If they put the price up then it will appear better value if they give a reduction as a sweetener as demonstrated by sofa companies in the ‘80s and by Princess cruises currently (50%off Princess plus.)

12 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. I don’t remember that one. 

I don’t know what the criteria was some seemed to suggest it was people who has cruises cancelled  during covid. We had two cancelled for covid so could have been that .

3 minutes ago, Babybooface said:

I don’t know what the criteria was some seemed to suggest it was people who has cruises cancelled  during covid. We had two cancelled for covid so could have been that .

We had 3 cancelled. Could well have had the offer and completely missed it, as we weren’t remotely interested in cruising when it restarted with all the on board restrictions and fear of cabin confinement etc. Maybe they knew I was a lost cause at that stage, so they didn’t bother to send it to me 😂 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Babybooface said:

We had 5 cancelled due to it, and do watch all my emails and check post.  Nothing sent to me.  Plus we were cruising the seacations including Iona maiden.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Babybooface said:

I had two cancelled also but didn't get the offer. Let's face it, there often seems not to be any logic with how P&O operate...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We had 3 cancelled. Could well have had the offer and completely missed it, as we weren’t remotely interested in cruising when it restarted with all the on board restrictions and fear of cabin confinement etc. Maybe they knew I was a lost cause at that stage, so they didn’t bother to send it to me 😂 

Who knows how they worked it . It’s long past now it was the start of last year I got the email. Yeah it was at a time when we weren’t sure if cruising was ever going to return to normal. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, Cheshire Blue said:

md    ar 

There’s no details available yet, it goes on sale on Arvia at least on May 28th so more details should be available then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2