1983 Royal Caribbean Cruise Line brochure (photos)

I love this!

Curious about the colored squares on the last page, re fares.  Do the squares indicate which cabins have a double bed/two twins?  I remember having to be careful when choosing a cabin, to get the bed setup we wanted, as none were movable.

13 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I love this!

Curious about the colored squares on the last page, re fares.  Do the squares indicate which cabins have a double bed/two twins?  I remember having to be careful when choosing a cabin, to get the bed setup we wanted, as none were movable.

"Color indicates deck accommodations shown in our brochure."  It's at the top of the table.

Thank you for doing the currency conversion for me. : )  And that is the per person price, right?  

I'd been extremely upset with the miserable experience of my daughter's first flight.  She was the same age and it was a similar flight on a similar airline.   Totally different experience.  Flights had slowly gotten more miserable and I hadn't noticed.  Then someone pointed out to me that flights had also gotten a lot cheaper.   My first flight was a big deal and my parents remembered the price.  We could have gotten first class on American for the price of the cheapest seat on Braniff in '78.   

Those cruise prices explain the proliferation of "My parents went on a cruise and all they got me was this t-shirt."  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Thank you for doing the currency conversion for me. : )  And that is the per person price, right? 

I believe that is the per person price based on what I remember from our first cruise (7-night HAL Veendam from NY to Bermuda) in 1981. Cost for DW and I in a porthole cabin with two single beds was ~$4,000 all in. While that price included airfare and transfers from the airport to the ship, it still equates to more than $13,000 in  today's dollars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moposh said:

@shiplifecardgame when was your first cruise?  Did you cruise in 1983?

I was only 9 years old in 1983, but I was obsessed with cruise ships as a kid. I would go to travel agencies and get as many brochures as I could, and then I would draw the ships. I chased my dreams and started working on ships in 2000. I finished my shiplife in 2021 during COVID, and have a normal life on land these days. I've still never actually taken a cruise. One day!

• Like 14

I looked back at my Cruise Decision excel sheet.   A 7-night Harmony cruise had been a contender.  It was $2691 for 4 'adults' in 2 rooms.     So, $1346 per couple or $673 pp.  This was for Interior GTY 2-person cabins.  Even in non-time-converted dollars, the 2024 Harmony cruise is cheaper.  

8 hours ago, orville99 said:

$1,000 in 1983 dollars equates to ~$3,000 in today's dollars😱

Back in 1988 on Sovereign was $3800 for 2 of us doing 7n in Deck 2 Port Hole Cabin. Had no Beds in Cabin, 2 couches that Attendant had make into Beds every nite. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Back in 1988 on Sovereign was $3800 for 2 of us doing 7n in Deck 2 Port Hole Cabin. Had no Beds in Cabin, 2 couches that Attendant had make into Beds every nite. 

Imagine what you can get for the equivalent of $9,700 today😇

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

And once you unpacked your luggage, the attendant hauled it off to storage, and you went down to the purser's desk to deposit all of your valuables in the ship's safe.😇

• Like 2

9 hours ago, orville99 said:

And once you unpacked your luggage, the attendant hauled it off to storage, and you went down to the purser's desk to deposit all of your valuables in the ship's safe.😇

...back when they were called "Pursers". Haven't heard that term in a LONG TIME.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Although my first cruise in 1980 was on Sitmar, the cost included RT airfare and hotel the night before cruise? Was Royal the same?

Depended on where you were flying in from for the cruise. The only times we got the overnight hotel included was when we were flying from one coast to the other

11 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Although my first cruise in 1980 was on Sitmar, the cost included RT airfare and hotel the night before cruise? Was Royal the same?

I cruised on the Sun Viking in 1983 with two girlfriends in an inside cabin. Our cruise started in Miami and ended in Barbados. We flew to Miami on the day of the cruise and flew back from Barbados to Miami and stayed overnight in Miami. If I remember correctly we paid one price for everything and included the transfers. I wish I could remember the price we each paid. 

Thanks for sharing that! I remember being obsessed with cruise brochures also. Both sets of my grandparents used to cruise and we were able to go onboard and see their room and the ship.  That's what started this obsession!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

No, please don’t. I will have to stab one of those pirates with his sword, if he wants me in a picture. 🤪

I remember back when the photographers would dress up and photograph guests in the MDR. i don't think I've ever seen so many angry people all on one photo wall, haha. I don't think anyone liked the photographers doing that...including the photographers.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 7:02 AM, Baowen said:

Thanks for sharing that! I remember being obsessed with cruise brochures also. Both sets of my grandparents used to cruise and we were able to go onboard and see their room and the ship.  That's what started this obsession!!

I used to have boxes of old cruise brochures.