Tauranga rental car

Hello, we would like to rent a car when we get to Tauranga. I know Rite price car rentals will pick us up/ bring car to us, but they are double the price of Avis at the airport. Will it be difficult to grab a taxi to go to the airport to get a car? Or are there other car rental services at the cruise port?

We plan on driving to Hobbiton and then meandering back. 

There are a few car rental companies near the port of Tauranga (actually at Mt Manganui). I suggest you do a google search. The company we have used a few times no longer has a depot in Tauranga - probably a victim of the lack of customers during the pandemic. All the best.

While I am not casting aspersions on your driving skills, are you confident driving on the left? A good percentage of the roads to Hobbiton will be winding, two lane roads. There are numerous occasions where, because of the lack of traffic setting an example, tourist drivers have exited a place of interest and commenced driving on the wrong side of the road, with ensuing chaos.

Google maps is really good - I had not idea where the airport was either - but its actually very close 55 minutes WALK apparently. You won't have an issue getting an uber I shouldn't think 

We have driven on the left side in several places, after 2 weeks on Barbados, we’re confident 😂. We also did just in Brisbane a few years ago. But we’ll be careful when there’s no traffic. 

I think we’ll go with Avis then and save some money. 

Haven driving on the left in the US numerous times, we find the biggest risk to us is when we are stopped in the left hand lane, on a one way street, turning left.  Twice we turned left to see a stream of traffic approaching us! 

• 1 month later...

Have question. Looking to rent at AKL airport. Doing a search some sites are adding third party collision coverage. Seems very reasonable compare to actual rental Co.  How reliable if needed?

Enjoy Life!