Athens Hotel -Need recommendations for hotel with rooftop terrace view of Acropolis, breakfast and spacious room. Please help

Ruth

Athens Gate Hotel has a lovely rooftop terrace with good views of the Acropolis AND the ruins of the Temple of Jupiter on the other side. Breakfast is served there as are cocktails and a limited dinner menu in the evenings. It is at the edge of the Plaka and more modern in style.

The Grand Bretagne Hotel is a famous and traditional (old world) hotel located in Syntagma Square. It also has a rooftop terrace with views of the Acropolis but it is slightly further from the views. It serves an elegant breakfast there as well but I do not believe it is included. 

For either hotel you can pay for a more expensive room and get more space, as with most hotels. The GB is usually much more expensive, but the experience reflects that. The Athens Gate is more convenient if you are walking around to see the main sites (Acropolis, Plaka, Acropolis Museum, Agora, etc.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The Grand Bretagne Hotel is a famous and traditional (old world) hotel located in Syntagma Square. It also has a rooftop terrace with views of the Acropolis but it is slightly further from the views. It serves an elegant breakfast there as well but I do not believe it is included. 

I would second the Grande Bretagne. If you are a Marriott Bonvoy member you can use points to book all or some of your stay-- can significantly reduce costs. Also breakfast is included with certain tiers of Bonvoy (as well as booking through places like American Express). They have a spectacular roof terrace that is a restaurant on one side and a great pool deck (open only to guests) on the other. 

It's definitely a premium property but there are ways to limit costs. 

• Like 1

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt Athens for 2 nights a couple weeks ago. I loved the hotel as it has large well appointed rooms (many with the Acropolis view), good F&B options/service and a beautiful roof top pool.

Lots of shops and restaurants right behind the hotel. It is also only about 15-20 minutes from the cruise port.

IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1065.jpeg

On 5/17/2023 at 8:35 AM, Ruth said:

Athens Hotel

Need recommendations for hotel with rooftop terrace view of Acropolis, breakfast and spacious room.

Please help!

We are on the same cruise with you, Ruth, and have spent the last 2 days so frustrated trying to find a somewhat reasonably-priced hotel in Athens for 2 nights prior to the cruise. They are all booked! What's going on? We tried Athens Gate, Hera Hotel, etc.; all solidly booked. The ones available want $500+/night which is too much for our wallet or had something wrong with them. We finally booked the  Athens Key Hotel. The problem is none of the tour operators have it on their list for hotel pickup and drop off for tours which is why we are staying in Athens for 2 nights. So we had to list a nearby hotel for pickup for our tours! 

Good luck to you finding a room.

JONI

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JD in MD said:

We are on the same cruise with you, Ruth, and have spent the last 2 days so frustrated trying to find a somewhat reasonably-priced hotel in Athens for 2 nights prior to the cruise. They are all booked! What's going on? We tried Athens Gate, Hera Hotel, etc.; all solidly booked. The ones available want $500+/night which is too much for our wallet or had something wrong with them. We finally booked the  Athens Key Hotel. The problem is none of the tour operators have it on their list for hotel pickup and drop off for tours which is why we are staying in Athens for 2 nights. So we had to list a nearby hotel for pickup for our tours! 

Good luck to you finding a room.

JONI

I finally found a hotel as well. It's crazy. Not sure if it is some big holiday or what. I was having the same problem. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a fantastic experience at the AD Athens Luxury Rooms and Suites. We had a “one bedroom suite” at under 200 Euros per night. I would describe it as small for a suite but very, very spacious for anyone considering a hotel “room” in Europe. It did not have a sitting area separated from the sleeping area, but more of a dressing area with closets and dressing table. It was all brand new and modern.  They serve breakfast on a lovely rooftop terrace with a view of the Acropolis and the li action in the Plaka was very convenient for walking to restaurants and visiting the museum and other sites.

• 3 weeks later...