Pictures of the VERY SAD Mast Grill / buffet burgers...

NutsAboutGolf

15 hours ago, RTShaker said:

Your homemade one doesn't look fully cooked. 😁

It looks almost perfect to me, maybe a tad over done.  One reason I like to buy steaks/roasts and grind my own meat.  

• Like 3

No offense to the OP, but the idea of coming on CC to post a picture of a burger I got from a buffet on a cruise ship is simply not a thing I could imagine occurring to me to do.  Maybe it's partly that I don't expect high quality ANYTHING at a cruise ship buffet, and partly that it's such a minor thing to focus on when on a week+ long cruise vacation.

I suppose we all have things that seem important to us...and I don't begrudge others from expressing what's important to them...that's just not something I can relate to!

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

No offense to the OP, but the idea of coming on CC to post a picture of a burger I got from a buffet on a cruise ship is simply not a thing I could imagine occurring to me to do.  Maybe it's partly that I don't expect high quality ANYTHING at a cruise ship buffet, and partly that it's such a minor thing to focus on when on a week+ long cruise vacation.

I suppose we all have things that seem important to us...and I don't begrudge others from expressing what's important to them...that's just not something I can relate to!

It was from the mast grill, other lines like Carnival uses Guys Burgers and they receive rave reviews with some calling it the best burger at sea and that it rivals land based restaurants

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

I'd say it looks overcooked. A proper burger should be cooked between rare and medium rare. Most restaurants won't do it for fear of foodborne illness (because they use substandard meat), but they will do it in Luminae. If it's not dripping, it's overcooked.

Sure, if you want a case of e coli or salmonella while you're on vacation, then by all means roll the dice and order that undercooked burger.  I might do it at home when I know where the meat came from, but never from a source I don't know when I'm traveling.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree RC needs to follow Celebrity's lead. IMO, nothing wrong with Celebrity's set up (mast/pool grill).  

We just did Wonder of the Seas. Food all around was not good. First time in 42 cruises that we didn't like the quality, temperature or flavor of the food. Too many cutbacks and changes. 😕

3 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

We just did Wonder of the Seas. Food all around was not good. First time in 42 cruises that we didn't like the quality, temperature or flavor of the food. Too many cutbacks and changes. 😕

Bummer. Weight watchers cruise. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Sure, if you want a case of e coli or salmonella while you're on vacation, then by all means roll the dice and order that undercooked burger.  I might do it at home when I know where the meat came from, but never from a source I don't know when I'm traveling.

If you have the drink package, they don't stand a chance...JK

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

This was from the Beyond recently and I asked for a patty hot off the grill.  I've included a juicy homemade burger so you can see the texture.  X's burgers are so dry, the texture is almost mushy and it just tastes so below average, there's really no flavor and they're very industrial...

burger3.thumb.jpg.b46151d763c855f7dcb83f9081faa4fa.jpgburger2.thumb.jpg.30fc8fe45f70dd4e58036b98c513fd64.jpgburger1.thumb.jpg.d19bffdb3f8855d453049b944f797284.jpg

image.png.f9d73aa532fa2821354134a0b7ab586e.png

What have you decided to about this problem?

14 minutes ago, tce40 said:

Thank heavens for the Ignore function. 😉

One can even save a step by not clicking on threads that don't interest them...Unlike many of other threads on here, my title crystal clear to what you're going to get by clicking on it

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheHawk1 said:

Sure, if you want a case of e coli or salmonella while you're on vacation, then by all means roll the dice and order that undercooked burger.

You have a much, much higher chance of getting COVID or Norovirus.

11 hours ago, CU64 said:

Princess still has good burgers & hot dogs outside their pool.

Not on the Ruby Princess last December. Burger was pretty bad. So bad I stopped eating it... And I rarely leave food over. Tried the hot dog and same thing happened. Pretty hard to mess up a hot dog. They found a way. 

I will say I was generally happy with the food in the dining room however.

I made it a point of having a burger and fries from Mast Grill on our last cruise. 

Granted this is not a hand made patty like the ones from home or the Luminae burger but it was delicious !

IMG_9428.thumb.jpg.11fd673efeb4d4223304104253ce52cc.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I made it a point of having a burger and fries from Mast Grill on our last cruise. 

Granted this is not a hand made patty like the ones from home or the Luminae burger but it was delicious !

IMG_9428.thumb.jpg.11fd673efeb4d4223304104253ce52cc.jpg

Like I said in post #15, for those who load their burger with topping its "like a thanksgiving turkey, where the meat is just a delivery vehicle for stuffing and gravy, the burger meat is just a delivery vehicle for condiments and toppings"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Like I said in post #15, for those who load their burger with topping its "like a thanksgiving turkey, where the meat is just a delivery vehicle for stuffing and gravy, the burger meat is just a delivery vehicle for condiments and toppings"

Well, I prefer my burgers that way -- especially with sliced jalapeno's.  

I cannot remember the last time I had a burger that was only meat and bun.   If I wanted meat and bread only, I'd go to OVC and grab one of those skinny steaks they serve there. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

I went up to Mast Grill two days ago, and the burgers were worse than dog food. The hot dog was ok (well, as ok as a basic hot dog can be), but they didn't even have relish.

I did not try the hot dog -- did not see any deli mustard or spicy brown mustard.  

I view relish on a hot dog the same way I view ketchup on a hot dog -- an abomination !  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Well, I prefer my burgers that way -- especially with sliced jalapeno's.  

I cannot remember the last time I had a burger that was only meat and bun.   If I wanted meat and bread only, I'd go to OVC and grab one of those skinny steaks they serve there. 

I just want to be clear I'm not shaming anyone for their preference (including level of doneness) yet am saying if you load it up with toppings the taste and texture of the meat becomes far less important

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

I went up to Mast Grill two days ago, and the burgers were worse than dog food. The hot dog was ok (well, as ok as a basic hot dog can be), but they didn't even have relish.

I did notice on the Beyond they had a hotdog rolling machine but I didn't try it as I'm still suffering from mast grill hot dog PTSD.  I can't remember the ship I was on when I had a hotdog about six months ago but the mast grill crew grabbed the hot dog from a container filled with hot water...That hot dog was the worst thing I've ever ate on X, I haven't called anything on X AWFUL except for that hot dog

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I did not try the hot dog -- did not see any deli mustard or spicy brown mustard.  

I view relish on a hot dog the same way I view ketchup on a hot dog -- an abomination !  

The condiments they had on Millennium were pretty good, including relish. Even the burgers were decent, but what's currently served on Solstice is just disgusting. even the pepperoni pizza (a personal favorite) didn't taste good because they used the wrong cheese mix. Very strong taste, like a 4-cheese combo. It only changed after I talked to the restaurant ops manager.

I'm pretty sure the Mast Grill and buffet burgers have always been frozen first. I honestly wouldn't expect otherwise. Now a burger from Luminae or Rooftop Grill is a different story...

That being said, a frozen burger does not necessarily have to be a bad burger. I grill Bubba burgers at home every summer and they're great. Obviously a fresh burger would be better but they die pretty quickly in the refrigerator if you don't use them right up.

All the various burgers I've had at Mast Grill I would classify as average to great. Don't recall ever having one that was inedible.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Celebrity is my preferred cruiseline.  Interestingly, the bad burgers are something I choose to forget about when I think about Celebrity cruising.  Unfortunately, it's true.  The burgers have been bad for years.  They are very much prefab prefrozen burgers that don't appeal to anyone who wants a "good" burger.  Very disappointing.  I gave up even visiting the mast grill on any Celebrity ship.  If I really want a burger, I might buy it in port or wait until I get back home.  "Good Burgers" are not something anyone thinks of when they talk about Celebrity.

On the other hand, I sailed once on Carnival for a family reunion.  The ONLY really memorable meals I ate on Carnival were the burgers from "Guy's Burger Joint" (their version of the mast grill) that I ate at lunch time.  OMG, the burgers taste fresh and juicy and they have a huge toppings bar to fix them just the way you want them.  Why Celebrity hasn't upped their game is anyone's guess.  It's a shame that burgers are a "FAIL" on Celebrity.

Have to agree Guys burgers on carnival are great. After all the raving about Celebritys burgers I tried one a couple years ago. Took one bite and tossed it in the trash where it belongs.