Australia & New Zealand Visa Info Needed Please

We are headed to Australia and New Zealand this fall.

I would love any and all information on VISAs needed for both countries from people who have done this recently regarding details on the application process, the cost, and how far in advance this needs to be done.

Thank you!

We just visited Australia and New Zealand in March and April. Our Australian visas were processed within hours on line while the New Zealand visas took a day or two (this was in late December).  Post #3 on this cruise critic thread was very informative and useful: 

Australia has an app. New Zealand did too but it was buggy for us so we just did it on-line.

BTW if you haven't found the Australia and New Zealand Cruisers forum, check it out:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/  It has lots of good information and wonderfully helpful Aussies and Kiwis sharing their knowledge.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 3

Last time we travelled to this part of the World was 2019. With my US Passport, I just went on and did an online e-visa, under $20, and it was approved and back within a few hours. My Australian Visa was good for New Zealand on the cruise.  

For my wife with her Philippines passport, it was a different story. Even with her having a full US entry visa good for 10 years, she needed to apply for a visa with the Australian Embassy. This visa was granted and good for entry one year from the approval date. The cost paid to the Australian Embassy was under $200. It required a full application and travel history, and if we did this without a Registered Australian Visa Agent, a personal interview at the Embassy with a biometric scan and confirmation. We went using a registered agent in Sydney, and it was approved within a day of submission. No added requirements or visit to the embassy. But the costs were just under $800. Because we put the visa request in about 100 days before the cruise, the visa was really only good for about 9 months. She could enter as many times as she wanted during that 9 months. 

Simple answer for US Passport Holders, really simple, for other countries can be very hard. If I had used my Israeli passport and not my US one, it would have been the same process as my wife's  Philippines passport.

Edited by Expat Cruise