Volendam May 10 - May 17 We are back

Susanmaz

Got home last night from our 7 day Inside Passage Alaskan voyage from Vancouver.  We absolutely loved being on the Voldendam - especially after the fiasco on the Kdam in November.  Walking from aft forward, or forward aft was a breeze and easy. The old girl is showing her age and in need of some cosmetic updated and maintenance, but it was still a great visit to this class ship.

Embarkation was not bad - while waiting for wheelchair assistance, we watched the check in line dissipate and I was able to walk up to the check in counter. By the time we got back to our waiting area, my wheelchair was there and we had assistance through the rest of the process.  We had a 10:20 checkin time, which we flew through, but there was a delay with the gangway being shut-down until 11:30.  At 11:30 on the dot we were released to board and with wheelchair assistance, we were in our cabin by 11:45.  The lack of crowded areas was amazing - Lido, bars, sitting areas - everything was always available.

Cold and rainy in Juneau, but absolutely beautiful weather in Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan. Didn't see a lot of critters, but did see eagles, otters, seals and I saw a mother whale with her calf when we were leaving Vancouver.  DH saw a moose swimming up by Glacier Bay.

Leaving was easy. We had prepaid for airport transfer, and was sent by cab instead of a bus - how easy is that?

This trip confirmed we will never sail a Pinnacle class ship again, and will attempt to stay small when we can.

In all, it was a grand experience.

Susan

• Like 6

So glad you had a great time.  We're booked on the Volendam June 21-28.  I'm starting to get excited.  We were scheduled for a Mexican Riviera cruise in December, but had to cancel because DH got COVID the week before.  Heartbreaking.  Because of that, I've not really gotten as enthusiastic about this cruise as that one, afraid of being disappointed again. Hoping and praying for healthy sailing in June. 

I would love to see any info you have from daily activities schedules, menus, formals nights, orange night, etc.  We were on Volendam several years ago, and we loved this ship, one of our favorites.  TIA for anything you can share.

• Like 1

Forgot to add that there were 3 Step One dance company shows that were excellent, one night with a comedian and a man who played a Xylosynthesizor -  an amazing show. The Cruise Director was Glen(?) Micheal. He was good and personable and there every single day! On the Kdam November we never saw the CD once. The food was wonderful, service A-1. One notices the reduced staff, but everyone worked so hard and always smiled. We were seated at a table for 6 in the MDR for early seating. We were alone for the first two nights, talked to our waiter and maitre d who brought another couple to join us on our last three nights.

• Like 1