Live from Iona Norwegian Fjords 20th May 7 Nights

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Then there’s those who didn’t have a clue what to do before they boarded, and for what ever reason can’t get to grips with the app once they are on board.

It's not so much they can't get to grips with it as once they have it all.the "experienced" cruisers have snapped everything up!  I'm as guilty as the next man on entertainment but I'm a solo traveller who doesn't frequent cocktail bars and the places like Andersons and the Crows Nest because these venues are very much for couples and groups.  I therefore use places like the Atrium because it's more sociable and I'm more likely to be able to join a conversation.  Evenings for me are a set pattern therefore  early dinner, theatre or 710 Club at 8.30 or 8.45, a drink somewhere like the Clubhouse and bed soon after.  

We all have different requirements and patterns of entertainment.  Because I eat early the 7.00pm 710 club and 6.45 theatre are out.   You are forced to make a decision which is okay for some not others.  If you aren't too fussed about where you go or what you do there are other venues where you can walk.in of, of course, you can get a seat.  When I go to the Clubhouse around 9.30 i can find a still as I'm just one, anyone needing seats for 2 or more will have some problems though.  It is what it is.  However I do not accept that for all.it works they way it is for me by following tips on here.  If everyone tried to do as I was recommended there simply wouldn't be enough room and there would be carnage at the other end

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Just need to pick the best times to visit guests services or restaurant manager

With the greatest of respect, I've spent more time in guest services on this cruise than most do in a lifetime!  I was given varying appointment times ranging from 9.00am to.11.00pm, there was always a queue.  I queued with everyone else even though I had an appointment because I believe I owe others a courtesy if they're in a queue. I can assure you after app fiasco  shuttle fiascos etc there's nearly always a queue as other CC members who are on this cruise have remarked elsewhere.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I don’t recognise this Iona from the Iona I went on in March.
Queues everywhere.

Stupid drink ordering system.

Buskers in the 710 club.

MDR food awful (subjective I know)

Service in MDR poor due to understaffing.

I complained to the MDR manager one night,the service was awful,3 hours for dinner even before the desert,,,,,many people walking out before end of meal.
It was noticeable it became easier to get a table in the MDR as the cruise went on ,,,people just went to the buffet.

Dont get me started on the late night buffet,,,,queues of 30m waiting to get a snack as they would only open one food station.

What did that (unhelpful) manager say……..give me the servers names.

So I gave him the name on his badge,,,that’s me he said.

Exactly I said ‘The buck stops with you fella’

I’m not a wet behind the ears new cruiser,,,I have over 70 cruises under my belt,,,,,but the inability of P&O to manage this big ship is not good enough,it was a shambles.

During the Feb half term cruise on Iona which was jam packed, service was the weakest link due to chronic understaffing IMO. We thought the food was very good - far superior to Britannia last month. The queue for the buffet to open at 11pm was an eye-opener! Luckily we only wanted the hot chocolate and a few cookies. 

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I think you are absolutely correct

Experienced cruisers on P and O without doubt have an advantage knowing what to do and when to do it

I imagine that's  similar most holidays we all go on though. 

We learn as we go

We go on holiday in a couple of weeks, flying BA. 7 days select seats. 1 day download boarding passes. No faff if you know the system. Same with a cruise.

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

And on Arvia I think it's first nights and celebration nights where problems arise as too many people don't quite know what to do

If you could pre-book speciality on first night and/or for celebration nights then you remove the risk

Plan B - have 6pm ish reservations for Celebration Nights and avoid any queues later

We now skip the formal nights, so no problem.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We go on holiday in a couple of weeks, flying BA. 7 days select seats. 1 day download boarding passes. No faff if you know the system. Same with a cruise.

That is the point - knowing the systems.  Still quite a lot of people, probably mostly over 70, who are not used to computers, or at least the most modern bits like apps. etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That is the point - knowing the systems.  Still quite a lot of people, probably mostly over 70, who are not used to computers, or at least the most modern bits like apps. etc.

Some of us old wrinklies (73) struggle through life without falling off.🤣

• Haha 3

Sure, I manage reasonably well and I am over 80, but a lot don't and it does seem a shame if they are left out.  There could be a gentle way, I would hope, of letting those who find it a struggle to cope with all the recent changes in everything feel less out of it.  Changes to life seem  to be gathering speed over the years; my mother remembered the first cars (well,  in her village), and early flight.  Those sort of changes did not affect your daily life unduly, or in a hurry, but nowadays there seems something new you really need to know or have to cope with for normal life too often.    Rant over.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

I don’t recognise this Iona from the Iona I went on in March.
Queues everywhere.

Stupid drink ordering system.

Buskers in the 710 club.

MDR food awful (subjective I know)

Service in MDR poor due to understaffing.

I complained to the MDR manager one night,the service was awful,3 hours for dinner even before the desert,,,,,many people walking out before end of meal.
It was noticeable it became easier to get a table in the MDR as the cruise went on ,,,people just went to the buffet.

Dont get me started on the late night buffet,,,,queues of 30m waiting to get a snack as they would only open one food station.

What did that (unhelpful) manager say……..give me the servers names.

So I gave him the name on his badge,,,that’s me he said.

Exactly I said ‘The buck stops with you fella’

I’m not a wet behind the ears new cruiser,,,I have over 70 cruises under my belt,,,,,but the inability of P&O to manage this big ship is not good enough,it was a shambles.

I don't recognise that Iona either

I'm not ignoring bad stuff just not seeing it as above?

But clearly you saw what you saw as well

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

During the Feb half term cruise on Iona which was jam packed, service was the weakest link due to chronic understaffing IMO. We thought the food was very good - far superior to Britannia last month. The queue for the buffet to open at 11pm was an eye-opener! Luckily we only wanted the hot chocolate and a few cookies. 

My mistake,it wasn’t March,I was on that same cruise as you in Feb.

It didn’t matter if you where a computer wiz kid or not,,if like me you arrived by coach at 13:30-14:00 by the time you got on the ship those who arrived earlier bagged all the bookable events.

Dont know if it’s still the way but you were not allowed to go to the bar and order a drink.

A waiter would take your order on a iPad even if you were 2’ from the bar.

What happened was they would walk the room taking many orders then stand at the bar talking to their mates whilst the bar person made up the orders,,,,but instead of delivering them as they where made up they waited until all the order was on the bar.

Some at the front row in the Club hardly got their drinks before the end of the 40 min spot by the act.

Wheres the ballroom dancing as on other P&O ships?,,there is none.

The atrium is a good space for this with a dance floor but nothing.it’s like an airport departure hall.

Try sitting in the Atrium when the ship overnights in Hamburg in February and they use the two gangways from that deck,,,,,,you have to sit with duffle coats on.

The ship relies on food outlets to dissipate people because there is not enough live music venues or seats in the venues that are there.

The indoor pool area was awful,,I felt sorry for the singing act in there the acoustics was terrible.

Like I said…shambles.

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

With the greatest of respect, I've spent more time in guest services on this cruise than most do in a lifetime!  I was given varying appointment times ranging from 9.00am to.11.00pm, there was always a queue.  I queued with everyone else even though I had an appointment because I believe I owe others a courtesy if they're in a queue. I can assure you after app fiasco  shuttle fiascos etc there's nearly always a queue as other CC members who are on this cruise have remarked elsewhere.

Yes there's always been a queue at guests services when I've used on Arvia and Iona

10 mins approx I would say

4 or 5 staff handling the queue

Not disastrous for queuing when you consider over 5,000 guests on the ship

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

My mistake,it wasn’t March,I was on that same cruise as you in Feb.

It didn’t matter if you where a computer wiz kid or not,,if like me you arrived by coach at 13:30-14:00 by the time you got on the ship those who arrived earlier bagged all the bookable events.

Dont know if it’s still the way but you were not allowed to go to the bar and order a drink.

A waiter would take your order on a iPad even if you were 2’ from the bar.

What happened was they would walk the room taking many orders then stand at the bar talking to their mates whilst the bar person made up the orders,,,,but instead of delivering them as they where made up they waited until all the order was on the bar.

Some at the front row in the Club hardly got their drinks before the end of the 40 min spot by the act.

Wheres the ballroom dancing as on other P&O ships?,,there is none.

The atrium is a good space for this with a dance floor but nothing.it’s like an airport departure hall.

Try sitting in the Atrium when the ship overnights in Hamburg in February and they use the two gangways from that deck,,,,,,you have to sit with duffle coats on.

The ship relies on food outlets to dissipate people because there is not enough live music venues or seats in the venues that are there.

The indoor pool area was awful,,I felt sorry for the singing act in there the acoustics was terrible.

Like I said…shambles.

I wouldn’t have described it as shambles to be honest, but I agree that there were issues. Drinks service was as you described, and the chronic shortage of waiters meant that we almost gave up ordering in some places - coffee mainly! I’ve described before how the tables were left uncleared for ages. Again, due to lack of staff. 

We quite liked the airy atrium on the higher levels - at least you can see the sea! We never had trouble finding seats but then again, we don’t go to the popular bars. 

I pre-booked Epicurean, Limelight Club and Olive Grove about 13-14 days before departure so having a late boarding time wasn’t a problem. 

The acoustics were very poor for the female trio but the space is great for the acrobatic type shows. 

We actually loved Iona and will definitely sail on her again. The girls are eager to introduce their partners to cruising and we think that Iona will be the perfect ship for them. Possibly next year to the Fjords - all of us! 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Some more pics this time from last night's MDR and view fro vantage point after  road train tour of alesund

Does that road train still play the world's most annoying 'Alesund' tune / song on a continuous loop throughout the whole journey?  We experienced that on a visit there probably 6 or 7 years ago now and I still haven't fully recovered from the trauma.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Harryjacobs said:

Thats a good thing.  Us youngsters want disco not old stuff 😆

And the man in the back said, "Everyone attack"
And it turned into a ballroom blitz
And the girl in the corner said, "Boy I want to warn you"
It'll turn into a ballroom blitz ..On a P&O cruise near you 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

25 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Does that road train still play the world's most annoying 'Alesund' tune / song on a continuous loop throughout the whole journey?  We experienced that on a visit there probably 6 or 7 years ago now and I still haven't fully recovered from the trauma.

It sure does. I was sat in with the driver so didn't hear it  as much as the rest of the guests though. But they were all singing it when they  got out!

Lol

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, kalos said:

And the man in the back said, "Everyone attack"
And it turned into a ballroom blitz
And the girl in the corner said, "Boy I want to warn you"
It'll turn into a ballroom blitz ..On a P&O cruise near you 🤣

You should have been at Warner’s Cricket St Thomas last night. Our cabaret act was Brian Connolly Junior, singing all his dad’s old Sweet songs!  (I enjoyed it) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

If you ever go to Walt Disney World (or Disneyland Paris), don’t go on the “It’s a Small World” ride. I think we last went around 15 years ago and I can still remember every note 🤣 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If you ever go to Walt Disney World (or Disneyland Paris), don’t go on the “It’s a Small World” ride. I think we last went around 15 years ago and I can still remember every note 🤣 

That was Pauline's late mam's favourite ride at Disneyland Paris.

We remember the tune well😇

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You should have been at Warner’s Cricket St Thomas last night. Our cabaret act was Brian Connolly Junior, singing all his dad’s old Sweet songs!  (I enjoyed it) 

He was on Iona in February.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Oh no, why did you mention that? It’s started me singing it again. 😂 It’ll be another 5 years before I stop! 

• Haha 6

55 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Oh no, why did you mention that? It’s started me singing it again. 😂 It’ll be another 5 years before I stop! 

Years ago we went on ' Mr toads wild ride " the cars seat 2. DW and our young son in one, me by myself, alone in the next. Not my best memory of Disney.

• Haha 3