Using the medallion without WiFi

new2cruise

1 minute ago, new2cruise said:

I won’t be purchasing the ship's WiFi so what features will I still be able to use?  Can I still locate my companions on board with my cell phone?

You can use any of the features except those that require internet access (such as browsing the web, accessing email or using social media apps).  Princess also allows access to a few web sites such as princess.com and a few news sources for free.  So yes, you can use the locate your companions feature for free.

By the way, no one "purchases the ship's WiFi". Everyone gets access to the ship's internal WiFi for free.  People can purchase internet access.  But yes, I understood what you meant,

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Princess also allows access to a few web sites such as princess.com and a few news sources for free.

Now that I did now know. If so, which ones?

I believe you can still use the WhatsApp app to communicate to other phones on the ship (voice & text) but not to call others off the ship.

17 minutes ago, new2cruise said:

Can I still locate my companions on board with my cell phone?

Easier way. Touch your Medallion to any of the wall panels and you can us that to locate those on your booking. Unless going ashore, we put our phones in the safe for the duration.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, new2cruise said:

Thank you!  If I have friends on another booking, can I locate them?

You can if you have their booking number (add them in the app under manage shipmates .. something like that) and they accept being tracked through their app.  We use that feature all the time 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Now that I did now know. If so, which ones?

Unless something has changed, once you are on the ship I believe there is a place in the Medallion Class app that lets you access some designated free sites.  You can also access them for free directly from your web browser if you know what they are.  If someone does not post the current info, I will post here when I am sailing the end of next week.  

I believe they did this a while back sometime after they stopped printing the daily news sheets.  I think this was pre Medallion, so I may be misremembering they continued this practice after the Medallions were introduced.😀

52 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I believe you can still use the WhatsApp app to communicate to other phones on the ship (voice & text) but not to call others off the ship.

This surprises me because you need Internet access for WhatsApp.  If this has worked for anyone on a particular sailing, the IT people may have (unintentionally) poked a hole in the firewall.  If people definitely know that it works on a regular basis, I hope they will chime in. Again, I will be happy to test and report back when I am on the ship.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

This surprises me because you need Internet access for WhatsApp.  If this has worked for anyone on a particular sailing, the IT people may have (unintentionally) poked a hole in the firewall.  If people definitely know that it works on a regular basis, I hope they will chime in. Again, I will be happy to test and report back when I am on the ship.

I was told that WhatsApp will work with the intranet only although I haven't tried it for myself since I last sailed with the internet package. Next cruise we've eliminated the expensive Plus package & will live without it. 

Hopefully the WhatsApp will still work using just the intranet as it made things easier to communicate on the ship. 

We use WhatsApp all the time, but we also always have Internet, so I cannot say if WhatsApp works with people you have setup and all parties are on ships INTRAnet.  I have been under impression that INTERnet is required. 

INTRAnet:  Ship's internal network

INTERnet:  WiFi for purchase/Medallion Net

INTRAnet:  Is used to run the Medallion Class app. You can see what is going on while on the ship. 

You can use it to contact Crew Chat. 

You can use it to locate fellow passengers...if you exchange information. 

You can use it to order drinks and food.  

You can use it to see your onboard account.

You can use it to set up reservations for Dine My Way

You can use it to see the Patter.

You can use it to gamble on your device.

**** You can use it to send iMessages from iPhone to iPhone.

+

+

INTERnet:  You will have to purchase Medallion Net/WiFi to get email, search the web, or do any other things you would normally do with an Internet connection.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

INTRAnet:  Ship's internal network

INTERnet:  WiFi for purchase/Medallion Net

INTRAnet:  Is used to run the Medallion Class app. You can see what is going on while on the ship. 

You can use it to contact Crew Chat. 

You can use it to locate fellow passengers...if you exchange information. 

You can use it to order drinks and food.  

You can use it to see your onboard account.

You can use it to set up reservations for Dine My Way

You can use it to see the Patter.

You can use it to gamble on your device.

**** You can use it to send iMessages from iPhone to iPhone.

+

+

INTERnet:  You will have to purchase Medallion Net/WiFi to get email, search the web, or do any other things you would normally do with an Internet connection.

This is extremely helpful.  Thanks for such a clear and comprehensive response!

• Thanks 1

What would the advantage of using WhatsApp be if the ship’s messaging system can be used to communicate with others on board? Assuming that WhatsApp does in fact work to communicate with others on the ship using the intranet only, it sounds as if the functionality is simply replicating the Medallion App communication feature. 

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

What would the advantage of using WhatsApp be if the ship’s messaging system can be used to communicate with others on board? Assuming that WhatsApp does in fact work to communicate with others on the ship using the intranet only, it sounds as if the functionality is simply replicating the Medallion App communication feature. 

You can send videos and photos through WhatsApp .. or I believe you can even do voice calls, although, I’ve never tried it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 7:09 AM, mtnesterz said:

Easier way. Touch your Medallion to any of the wall panels and you can us that to locate those on your booking. Unless going ashore, we put our phones in the safe for the duration.

Just an FYI, different wall panels do different things.  Look at the top right for the name.  I stood in front of one that I believe said Journey View, it showed different activities that were scheduled. I was trying to locate my husband and couldn't figure out how to do it.  One of the gentlemen at the help desk told me I had to use one called (I believe) Ocean View. I think there is also a third.

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

What would the advantage of using WhatsApp be if the ship’s messaging system can be used to communicate with others ...

Well, given that the app developers have yet to learn how to give you an active alert (either visual or audible) when you receive an on-board message, the app is next to useless for communication with your friends on board.  WhatsApp lets you know (just like "standard" SMS texting) that you have a message.  Otherwise you have to constantly check the medallion app to see if you've received anything.  In my opinion...useless for this function. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, given that the app developers have yet to learn how to give you an active alert (either visual or audible) when you receive an on-board message, the app is next to useless for communication with your friends on board.  WhatsApp lets you know (just like "standard" SMS texting) that you have a message.  Otherwise you have to constantly check the medallion app to see if you've received anything.  In my opinion...useless for this function. 

I suppose. But I don’t use the two interchangeably. Off a ship, texting can serve as a virtual conversation so a notification is helpful. On a ship, over a week’s time, I might need to send 4 or 5 messages because I am with my travel companion(s) most of the time. Indeed, that is one of my main reasons for taking a cruise as opposed to some other vacation. Compressed family time. So I might say to my wife, “send me a message when you decide which bar you decide to go to” and I know to check for a message in 5 or 10 minutes. A notification would be nice, but not critical. In the end it’s all moot because we all have WiFi and can also send iPhone messages. 

I was told by a crew member that the WhatsApp is their lifeline to others on board and family/friends far away.  It is the one app that is "approved" by Princess so "escapes" any blocking by the INTRAnet.  iMessage, on the other hand, sort of gets around the barriers (I don't know how).  

I am able to iMessage people on a ship from land and they can in reverse (without being connected to the internet).  But the one time I tried to do it while we were all on the ship (I had cell service/they did not), it turned green. (Longer story about why I WASN'T connected to the INTRAnet.)  Sorry, way above my comprehension.  So I reluctantly installed the Whatsapp app.

40 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I suppose. But I don’t use the two interchangeably. Off a ship, texting can serve as a virtual conversation so a notification is helpful. On a ship, over a week’s time, I might need to send 4 or 5 messages because I am with my travel companion(s) most of the time. Indeed, that is one of my main reasons for taking a cruise as opposed to some other vacation. Compressed family time. So I might say to my wife, “send me a message when you decide which bar you decide to go to” and I know to check for a message in 5 or 10 minutes. A notification would be nice, but not critical. In the end it’s all moot because we all have WiFi and can also send iPhone messages. 

Agree 100% with what you say...as long as you are traveling with only people in your cabin...when you are *generally * together...or as you suggested to arrange for a message at a certain time. However,  we very often are traveling with couples in more than 1 cabin. Very often we need to send/receive a  message at unknown times...just like standard texting. And usually I am the only one with Android. That would require the bulk of the group to accommodate me with WhatsApp...not a good scenario.  Luckily my DW uses iPhone so she is the communication manager...which really isn't much different from my everyday life! 😅 She tells me what I need to know!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Almost all the crew now use WhatsApp for calls & messaging. We've shared many photo's with them on our last cruise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was told by a crew member that the WhatsApp is their lifeline to others on board and family/friends far away.  It is the one app that is "approved" by Princess so "escapes" any blocking by the INTRAnet.  iMessage, on the other hand, sort of gets around the barriers (I don't know how).  

I am able to iMessage people on a ship from land and they can in reverse (without being connected to the internet).  But the one time I tried to do it while we were all on the ship (I had cell service/they did not), it turned green. (Longer story about why I WASN'T connected to the INTRAnet.)  Sorry, way above my comprehension.  So I reluctantly installed the Whatsapp app.

Are you saying that I can use WhatsApp on board without using the Internet?  I do not have any wifi/Internet package and was planning on being offline for most of my cruise (except for using cell service and data on port days).  Having Whatsapp for emergency  communication with people on land would be nice.

Edited by theloo

3 hours ago, theloo said:

Are you saying that I can use WhatsApp on board without using the Internet?  I do not have any wifi/Internet package and was planning on being offline for most of my cruise (except for using cell service and data on port days).  Having Whatsapp for emergency  communication with people on land would be nice.

I am not a WhatsApp user.  I was only told that it can be used on board.  I did try it…but it was in port AND I had cell service too.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:44 AM, Jersey42 said:

Unless something has changed, once you are on the ship I believe there is a place in the Medallion Class app that lets you access some designated free sites.  You can also access them for free directly from your web browser if you know what they are.  If someone does not post the current info, I will post here when I am sailing the end of next week.  

I believe they did this a while back sometime after they stopped printing the daily news sheets.  I think this was pre Medallion, so I may be misremembering they continued this practice after the Medallions were introduced.😀

Could you possibly test to see if WhatsApp works to communicate with people off ship?  Someone suggested that works too.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, theloo said:

Could you possibly test to see if WhatsApp works to communicate with people off ship?  Someone suggested that works too.  Thanks!

I communicate with people onboard all the time while I’m at home via WhatsApp.  I think on my end, my phone has to be connected to internet or cell service to do so but, it’s my understanding that they don’t have to be connected while they are onboard.  Does that sound right?