Check-in online or at the terminal

Landon90

Do you have to complete the online check-in before your cruise or can you do this at the terminal?

I’ve completed the online check in for everyone under the booking apart from 1, as their debit card keeps being rejected and without completing this step I cannot get their boarding pass. 

Their bank (Nationwide Flex Basic) says they approved the £1 hold and it’s P&O rejecting it. 

Not sure what to do apart from wait until we’re at the terminal and get it sorted there. They have no other debit/credit card. 

1 minute ago, Landon90 said:

Do you have to complete the online check-in before your cruise or can you do this at the terminal?

I’ve completed the online check in for everyone under the booking apart from 1, as their debit card keeps being rejected and without completing this step I cannot get their boarding pass. 

Their bank (Nationwide Flex Basic) says they approved the £1 hold and it’s P&O rejecting it. 

Not sure what to do apart from wait until we’re at the terminal and get it sorted there. They have no other debit/credit card. 

I would ring the P&O freephone number sometime next week and see what they advise .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I had the same issue with Cunard the other week (same IT system). You can check in at the terminal. 

What happens about the boarding pass? I don't like the thought of putting my credit card details in online, would much prefer to check in at the terminal like before.

2 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

What happens about the boarding pass? I don't like the thought of putting my credit card details in online, would much prefer to check in at the terminal like before.

We didn’t have boarding passes as the system refused to process my credit card (even though the card provider had authorised it - usual Carnival IT nonsense). I also couldn’t upload our photographs. The lady at check in did all of this for us and gave us a little slip saying “Clear to Board”. We arrived at terminal building at 1130 and were on the ship at 1150, but this was Cunard. Apparently they aren’t as keen on queues as P&O 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Thanks for the replies all - I’ll give P&O a call but hopefully can get it registered at the terminal. 

I’m a little anxious using my own credit card for everyone - would prefer they use their own (I know I sound mean). 🙂

Edited by Landon90
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

Thanks for the replies all - I’ll give P&O a call but hopefully can get it registered at the terminal. 

I’m a little anxious using my own credit card for everyone - would prefer they use their own (I know I sound mean). 🙂

Once onboard just register the other credit cards at reception if they are not able to do it at the terminal.

• Like 1

Just now, carlanthony24 said:

Once onboard just register the other credit cards at reception if they are not able to do it at the terminal.

As in use mine to get it all setup and the boarding pass then change it after? Didn’t know that was possible but sounds good if we can change it afterwards. 🙂 

1 minute ago, Landon90 said:

As in use mine to get it all setup and the boarding pass then change it after? Didn’t know that was possible but sounds good if we can change it afterwards. 🙂 

Yeah if it makes things easier for the time being. I can't remember off the top of my head but you can not change cards 24-48hrs maybe 72hrs max before the cruise finishes just encase one declines.

• Like 1

Just now, carlanthony24 said:

Yeah if it makes things easier for the time being. I can't remember off the top of my head but you can not change cards 24-48hrs maybe 72hrs max before the cruise finishes just encase one declines.

Good idea. Happy to register my card if it can be changed onboard. Would rather get all the boarding passes etc all sorted but this is holding that up. Thanks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

Yes it’s quite straight forward to do. Just as the other poster said you can easily go to

reception and change it as soon as you get onboard. Saves time at check in 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Yes it’s quite straight forward to do. Just as the other poster said you can easily go to

reception and change it as soon as you get onboard. Saves time at check in 

Thanks - will do this. 🙂

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I am not doing that online.  Will do it at checkin just like always.

Jean doing the check in on line saves a lot of time and makes check in run so much easier. On Iona we did not even get to sit in the terminal. straight in checked in and then directed to security and on to the ship. The key is to arrive at your allocated time.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, daiB said:

Jean doing the check in on line saves a lot of time and makes check in run so much easier. On Iona we did not even get to sit in the terminal. straight in checked in and then directed to security and on to the ship. The key is to arrive at your allocated time.

And the other bonus about having your boarding pass in advance if you do have to queue is that it means that you can book meals, entertainment etc as soon as you get in the terminal because the last ?6 or 8 (I can't remember!) digits under to barcode on your boarding pass are what you need to access the app to do that.

37 minutes ago, daiB said:

OK Dai, will do that.  Thanks for advice.  We usually arrive around or just before our allocated time and being Caribbean always helps.

• Like 1

Our cruise on Ventura in March didn't matter much whether you had a check in time, had a boarding pass or priority boarding as when we got off the coach the baggage and queues were horrendous. all due apparently to Ventura arriving five hours late due to a refit. What they refitted I have no idea, maybe a few carpets ? There were still fitters on board days after we sailed, which instead of being around 5 p.m. ended up at 11.30 p.m. and one of our bags still wasn't at our cabin by the time we went to the MDR at 8.30. Having changed our cabin a day before sailing I had to cut all the labels from our bags and reprint. On arriving at our "New" cabin the cards allowing entry and purchases etc were someone else's, the dining arrangements were wrong, we no table number. Our Celebration Package which I paid £399 for non existent and we ended up with our luggage minus one, plus four of the other persons cases. Which i presume they had been moved also, but either didn't pick up the notification or weren't notified at all. Having said that, I suppose they must have known otherwise we could have ended up four in a bed ?