Seven Colors Lagoon? Ruins? Both? Neither?

NCteacherlovescruising

We will be in Costa Maya next month. I was so disappointed to find out Maya Chan will be closed.  Dh said he would be perfectly happy enjoying a much deserted ship and hit the YC pool or the spa. Is Seven Colors Lagoon worth the excursion?  Looking at our ships excursion (MSC) there (we have a little onboard credit, but not enough) or Native choices Mayan Family and Seven Color Lagoon tour. Is Seven Colors Lagoon really spectacular?  We already have three beach days so not sure we need a 4th unless this is worth it. 

I’m also a little curious about the Chaccohoben Ruins. We’ve seen the ruins Belize (those were really cool!) and I saw small ones in Cozumel that weren’t too far from the port. Are these so unique (especially from the ones in Belize) that it would be worth visiting?

If you’ve done both, did you prefer the lagoon or the ruins?  

Or should we just enjoy having the ship to ourselves?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks.  Will do, but I just found out we will be one of 4 ships there that day, I think we'll just stay on the ship.

Not sure how having 4 ships in port affects going to Bacalar? Most people won’t be going on an excursion that far?

The port area might be crowded while you walk through, and the Malecon may be crowded, depending on sargassum, but not sure how it affects private excursions.

There seem to be 4 ships scheduled most days if they are able to dock,

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Not sure how having 4 ships in port affects going to Bacalar? Most people won’t be going on an excursion that far?

The port area might be crowded while you walk through, and the Malecon may be crowded, depending on sargassum, but not sure how it affects private excursions.

There seem to be 4 ships scheduled most days if they are able to dock,

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of options at this port (especially with the one place we really wanted to go closed) and my dh wants to just stay in the ship to utilize the spa and pool while most people are off the ship. I assumed it would make the lagoon crowded and we don’t like crowds. 

The lagoon excursions have a long travel time and since it's not a small place, you shouldn't have any crowd issues unless the excursion had 2 large bus loads.

Just curious as to which place along the malecon was closed that you wanted to go to.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

The lagoon excursions have a long travel time and since it's not a small place, you shouldn't have any crowd issues unless the excursion had 2 large bus loads.

Just curious as to which place along the malecon was closed that you wanted to go to.  

Maya Chan is closing the entire months of June and July.  So disappointing because we were most excited for this port to return there.

21 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We will be in Costa Maya next month. I was so disappointed to find out Maya Chan will be closed.  Dh said he would be perfectly happy enjoying a much deserted ship and hit the YC pool or the spa. Is Seven Colors Lagoon worth the excursion?  Looking at our ships excursion (MSC) there (we have a little onboard credit, but not enough) or Native choices Mayan Family and Seven Color Lagoon tour. Is Seven Colors Lagoon really spectacular?  We already have three beach days so not sure we need a 4th unless this is worth it. 

I’m also a little curious about the Chaccohoben Ruins. We’ve seen the ruins Belize (those were really cool!) and I saw small ones in Cozumel that weren’t too far from the port. Are these so unique (especially from the ones in Belize) that it would be worth visiting?

If you’ve done both, did you prefer the lagoon or the ruins?  

Or should we just enjoy having the ship to ourselves?

After you cruise, I hope you will return to this thread to update us on your experience in Costa Maya.  

We cruise in July; twenty family members.  Currently, six are booked for The Native Choice Bacalar Lagoon excursion. (Not sure if they decided on the Mayan Family combo or not.)  It sounds like there are a couple more who are on the fence about also going.

My husband and two of our daughters would love something similar to Maya Chan, but as you know, it will be closed.  They haven't made a final decision, yet, but leaning toward one of the AI options on the Malecon, in case they want to walk around, too.  Maybe Malecon21 or Nohoch Kay.  Waiting until our cruise date is closer, though, since no one wants to spend money to reserve a beach club if the sargassum is horrible.

7 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

After you cruise, I hope you will return to this thread to update us on your experience in Costa Maya.  

We cruise in July; twenty family members.  Currently, six are booked for The Native Choice Bacalar Lagoon excursion. (Not sure if they decided on the Mayan Family combo or not.)  It sounds like there are a couple more who are on the fence about also going.

My husband and two of our daughters would love something similar to Maya Chan, but as you know, it will be closed.  They haven't made a final decision, yet, but leaning toward one of the AI options on the Malecon, in case they want to walk around, too.  Maybe Malecon21 or Nohoch Kay.  Waiting until our cruise date is closer, though, since no one wants to spend money to reserve a beach club if the sargassum is horrible.

At this point, my dh is saying he'd prefer just staying on the ship.  I assume sargassum wouldn't be an issue in a lagoon..

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Maya Chan is closing the entire months of June and July.  So disappointing because we were most excited for this port to return there.

Maya Chan is actually closing until end of August. I am surprised they aren’t closing for longer - last year I believe they closed until October.