Pre-cruise prior to Southampton embarkation

We just booked a cruise for July 2024 that goes 15 nights from Southampton to Copenhagen.  We always like to fly in a bit early (usually somewhere between 2 and 10 nights) and do a nice "land" pre-cruise.  In the past, cruising out of Southampton (or, occasionally, Dover), we've done the following:

1)  Just spent a few nights in London (several times).

2)  Hired a car and did a driving tour--Bath...Mold, Wales...Sterling (Edinborough), Scotland...Inverness/Loch Ness...York...Stratford-upon-Avon...London (actually, a post-cruise).

3)  A week in Cardiff and surrounds with hired car.

4)  5 days in Canterbury with hired car (cruise out of Dover).

5)  Ten nights (with hired car) in Cornwall, Devon and Dorset

6)  Once we just flew to Madrid for a few nights, then flew on to Heathrow...and down to Southampton for a cruise.

Usually head to Southampton for final night before the cruise

This time, we're looking for something different...it's just that I'm running out of ideas.  Also, getting a bit tired of hiring cars and driving all over (especially after dealing with the narrow roads of Cornwall which can be a bit harrowing at times).

So, are there any other places in the UK in easy proximity to Heathrow and/or Southampton worth visiting for a few days?  And how best to visit/where to stay?  How many nights would you dedicate to the visit?  How would you handle transportation?

For example, is the Isle of Wight worth a visit?  And, if so, how would one go there?  Where to stay and what to see and do?   Or is it merely a ferry and day trip from Southampton?  Or, if one stayed several nights in Southampton, is there enough to visit in the nearby area and could one do it without a car?

Remember, one of the difficulties is that we'll have a significant amount of luggage with us since we'll be on a 15 night cruise plus this pre-cruise plus, likely, a few nights in Copenhagen post-cruise.

Any and all suggestions, recommendations or comments are appreciated.  Thanks.

With a full day plus a bit of arrival day & a bit of cruise day the Isle of Wight is possible using the island's buses. Sail from Southampton - don't use the car ferries to East Cowes, a rather grubby industrial area - instead use the Red Jet catamaran to (west) Cowes, a busy & attractive yachting village with plenty of pubs, restaurants etc.

Island buses radiate from the island's capital, Newport, but Cowes or Shanklin or Sandown or Ryde have more for the visitor - or for a quiet location Godshill or the south-west - just make sure it's handy to a bus stop on a route with a frequent service.

https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/en/isle-of-wight-ferry/red-jet/

https://www.islandbuses.info/services

The Island is to some extent stuck in the 1970's, very laid-back. Same applies to the Island roads, there's no more than a mile of divided highway so travel is slow. 

---------------------------------------------------

Instead of the Isle of Wight, consider the conjoined cities of Portsmouth (Navy city) & Southsea (traditional seaside resort).

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Ships - including Nelson's HMS Victory, the ironclad Warrior and the recovered remains of the Mary Rose - has enough for a full day (or spread your time there over a few days, tickets allow this).

On Southsea seafront are the city's D-Day museum and the adjacent diminutive Southsea Castle from which Henry V111 watched the Mary Rose capsize & sink (free entry). Lots of other attractions on the seafront including views of the Isle of Wight - and if you want a quick visit to the Island, there's a hovercraft service from Southsea waterfront (10 minute crossing) or a catamaran service from Portsmouth Harbour (25 minutes) to Ryde. Again, don't take the car ferry - as well as the longer crossing time, it goes to tiny Fishbourne.

A good waterfront walk along Southsea Esplanade & past fortifications to Portsmouth harbour entrance Old Portsmouth and a choice of harbour entrance pubs (Spice Island Inn and the Still & West) to reward yourselves with a pint.

Direct hourly train service to Southampton Central station (55 minutes) from Portsmouth Harbour station, or from the adjacent Travel Interchange direct National Express bus service to Southampton coach station (about 60 minutes). Both inexpensive.

Portsmouth is just 25 miles from Southampton and you have 3 or 4 travel options, you can comfortably head to Southampton on the morning of your sailing 

Around Portsmouth Harbour would be very convenient for the Historic Dockyard and for travel from LHR (Nat Express) and to Southampton (train or Nat Express, or pre-booked fixed-price taxi if you're feeling flush).

Holiday Inn Express in Gunwharf Quays for vaguely American, for views, and for restaurants etc on your doorstep. Or something a little different, 100 yards from the Historic Dockyard, the historic Royal Maritime Club - originally a 19th Century charitable institution for sailors who were between-ships, nowadays a hotel open to all but with a Navy feel and usually a sprinkling of Royal Navy guests.

Or Southsea for a wide selection of traditional British hotels.

https://historicdockyard.co.uk/

https://theddaystory.com/

https://www.hovertravel.co.uk/

https://www.wightlink.co.uk/plan-your-journey/routes/portsmouth-ryde-route

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/gb/en/portsmouth/pmegq/hoteldetail

https://www.royalmaritimehotel.co.uk/

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 3

We just finished a cruise in Southampton and spent 3 days post cruise with a private guide, Andy Wheeler. He was fantastic. He worked with us to craft an itinerary that suited our needs.  We visited Portsmouth, Petworth, Chartwell, Chichester, Winchester Cathedral, Blenheim Palace, Oxford and more.  We packed a lot into 3 days. I know he also does Salisbury  and Isle of Wight and others.  He works with a hired van & driver to provide all the transportation, if you want it. There was plenty of room for all of our suitcases.   He's extremely flexible. We've used guides in many areas around the world and we rank him in the top. We are already planning another cruise in that area so we can use him again. You can find him on Facebook under Wheeler Tours or on Instagram Wheeler_tours. He also has a website wheeler-tours.co.uk 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 10:43 AM, Sadie Lady said:

We just finished a cruise in Southampton and spent 3 days post cruise with a private guide, Andy Wheeler. He was fantastic. He worked with us to craft an itinerary that suited our needs.  We visited Portsmouth, Petworth, Chartwell, Chichester, Winchester Cathedral, Blenheim Palace, Oxford and more.  We packed a lot into 3 days. I know he also does Salisbury  and Isle of Wight and others.  He works with a hired van & driver to provide all the transportation, if you want it. There was plenty of room for all of our suitcases.   He's extremely flexible. We've used guides in many areas around the world and we rank him in the top. We are already planning another cruise in that area so we can use him again. You can find him on Facebook under Wheeler Tours or on Instagram Wheeler_tours. He also has a website wheeler-tours.co.uk 

You said you packed in a lot in those three days; did you overnight in any of the cities? Did you feel you were rushed ? What would you change if you could? Generally we have a guide for one day, I’m curious how comfortable it was or not for multiple days. The debate is to “ do it on our own” as JB has given great points or hire a guide. We are 79-80 years old. 

1 hour ago, rtdiva said:

You said you packed in a lot in those three days; did you overnight in any of the cities? Did you feel you were rushed ? What would you change if you could? Generally we have a guide for one day, I’m curious how comfortable it was or not for multiple days. The debate is to “ do it on our own” as JB has given great points or hire a guide. We are 79-80 years old. 

We are in our 60's and late 70's. Driving ourselves was not an option due to the other side driving. It would be very manageable to rent a car if one was comfortable driving on the left side. Our itinerary was packed by our choice. Our intent was to hit the highlights, giving us options for a return trip. Initially we were looking at 2-3 different guides, but found one that was willing to do it all. Once we established a rapport with our guide Andy, we were comfortable booking all 3 days with him. But it would be easy to use multiple guides. We chose a "somewhat" central location to stay for 2 nights.I didn't want to be be packing and moving hotels every day.  Our hotel was in West Sussex at the Park House Hotel. It was lovely, but a bit out of the way. I would stay there again. The third night we moved to a hotel near the airport since we were flying home the next morning. 

Our interests are history and I love gardens and nature, so we crafted our itinerary around that. We are  members of the Royal Oak Foundation which gives us free access to England's National Trust properties, so we wanted to work some of them in.

Day 1: Andy picked us up at the ship at 8am in Southampton. We drove to Winchester to see the Winchester Cathedral.We checked out the Great Hall & Queen's Garden in Winchester. We also drove to Chichester to see the Southwick House, a military installation and then drove to Portsmouth to see some sights. Overnight at Park House Hotel

Day 2: Andy picked us up at 9am and we headed to Midhurst for a quick stop at the historic Spread Eagle Hotel. After that we headed to Petworth House and Park which houses the National Trust's art collection. Beautiful art and gardens. In the afternoon we went to Chartwell House and Garden, Winston Churchill's country estate.Super interesting and pretty place.  Over night at Park House Hotell

Day 3; We checked out of the hotel, Andy picked us up at 9 and we headed to Blenheim Palace. It was a bit of a drive, maybe an hour and a half. The Palace is the birthplace of Winston Churchill and the home to the Dukes of Marlborough. Spectacular palace and gardens and exhibits. After that we did a quick stop in Oxford to see a few things.  Overnight at airport hotel.

I only felt rushed when we did the Oxford add on after Blenheim Palace. While there's a lot to see in Oxford, I probably would have left it off this itinerary in the interest of time.  I don't think I would change much of any of the rest since I thoroughly enjoyed everything. Overall we did a bit of walking, but mostly on even surfaces.  And we did spend some time in the van looking at sights. At the various estates, when one of us would need a break, we would just sit on one of the many benches and let the other one continue on. 

Sorry for the length of this, I hope it helps you in your trip planning!

Thank you Sadie Lady for the detailed reply!

First of all: Why did I not think to hire a guide for the first hours off the ship? Just as I would in any port. Second; Nor did I think to book a hotel in another city out of Southhampton. Thirdly; The guide could drive us to the following hotel (s)! 

Most likely we will follow your plans to book in another city, then return to Southhampton for a day of local sites before flying to Dublin for our next cruise. We are off board for five days. 

CC as always comes through!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In 2019, we did a British Isles cruise, and like you, we like to fly in early.   We landed at Heathrow, and took a private cab pre-booked to Windsor.  We stayed two nights in Windsor and then took another pre-booked car to Southampton the day of the cruise.  

We saw the  guards parade, toured Windsor castle, took a boat ride, and enjoyed walking around the town (especially at dinnertime when the day visitors were gone).  We stayed in London post-cruise. 

It may not be as much traveling as some of the other ideas above, but we really enjoyed it and I wondered why more people don't stay in Windsor. 

7 hours ago, TW6cruiser said:

It may not be as much traveling as some of the other ideas above, but we really enjoyed it and I wondered why more people don't stay in Windsor. 

It's because too many people want to "see London" in a day and a half. It can't be done, so they actually see nothing - all that many of them manage to do is to get some poor photos of the outsides of some buildings as they drive by. It's so refreshing to hear from people who are prepared to give proper time to the places that they visit.

Unfortunately, I'm all out of ideas for the OP. Somewhere that's near London or Southampton, but isn't London and doesn't need a car, is a pretty restrictive brief.

John Bull:  We're spending the day before the cruise on the Isle of Wight -Osborne House.  I have booked the Red Funnel East Cowes ferry from Southampton.  Have I made a mistake and should have booked the Red Jet to West Cowes?

3 hours ago, TenneSea said:

John Bull:  We're spending the day before the cruise on the Isle of Wight -Osborne House.  I have booked the Red Funnel East Cowes ferry from Southampton.  Have I made a mistake and should have booked the Red Jet to West Cowes?

East Cowes is the right choice for Osborne House. It’s about a half hour walk from the ferry, or a bus will take you just over half way. Or a taxi all the way if you’d prefer to avoid walking.

Yes, the Southampton to East Cowes traditional ferry is simplest.
When you get off the ferry it's a one minute walk to the bus stop outside the Waitrose grocery store.
All buses from there go via Osborne House, buses every 15 minutes or better, journey time just six minutes, ask the driver to let you know when you get to the Osborne House stop. Its then a 6 to 7 minute walk thro the grounds to the House,

https://bustimes.org/operators/southern-vectis

(routes 4 & 5)

Do try to make time to take the free little internal bus from the House to the "Swiss Cottage" - the play house for Queen Vic's nine (!!!) children.

When you return to East Cowes, if you have the time & energy instead of same ferry back to Southampton consider taking the little chain-link ferry - every 15 -20 minutes, fare £1 - across the Medina River. Its then a 15 minute walk to the centre of West Cowes, a quaint yachting & tourist village -  shops, pubs, cafes etc, and if you want to take the fast-cat ferry back from there to Southampton, you can use your East Cowes ticket plus a supplement of about £6

https://goo.gl/maps/gyuHL5AHsvNWsjrf9

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, TenneSea said:

Thank you Gumshoe958 and John Bull.  I may try the return on the Red Jet. Didn't realize West Cowes was a more desirable area.

You won't be impressed by where the ferry docks in East Cowes - grubby and industrial, but perfectly safe and convenient for Osborne House.

(West) Cowes is a whole different place.🙂

BTW the Red Jet catamaran doesn't run in fairly bad weather, but the Red Funnel car ferry ploughs on in all weathers - you won't get stranded. 

JB 🙂

On 6/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, Globaliser said:

Somewhere that's near London or Southampton, but isn't London and doesn't need a car, is a pretty restrictive brief.

Oxford is not a bad shout in my opinion. Very regular coach from Heathrow, tons to do & see, catch a bus to Blenheim/Woodstock, direct trains to Southampton. 

But I do have a certain ancient academic and current geographic bias 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recommendations of things to do in the town of Southampton? We will be coming in two days pre cruise on August 28. On previous trips we have done Stonehenge, Salisbury and Winchester. I also remember going to a pub connected to Lord Nelson but cannot remember the name of it.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Peggy

22 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

I worked across the road for 20 years, so forgive me if I violently disagree. There are some brilliant pubs within a few minutes walk. I’ll give you the Buckingham in Petty France to start with….

On 6/24/2023 at 10:52 PM, Cotswold Eagle said:

Oxford is not a bad shout in my opinion. Very regular coach from Heathrow, tons to do & see, catch a bus to Blenheim/Woodstock, direct trains to Southampton. 

But I do have a certain ancient academic and current geographic bias 😀

Hey, were you that DOT Permanent Secretary who got a motorway to Oxford built decades before Cambridge got one? 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PeggyCTB said:

Does anyone have any recommendations of things to do in the town of Southampton? We will be coming in two days pre cruise on August 28. On previous trips we have done Stonehenge, Salisbury and Winchester. I also remember going to a pub connected to Lord Nelson but cannot remember the name of it.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Peggy

I would take the train to Portsmouth historic docks. You could easily spend two days there and not see everything. Mary Rose (Henry VIII flagship) HMS victory (Nelson), harbour cruises to see modern warships in for servicing. Southampton is not really a tourist place though they do have an ikea!

• Like 2

Glad I saw this thread before I posted a new one. We are taking the train from Paris to London the day before the cruise (in the morning) and was planning to go straight to Southampton but upon looking at what is there, I am thinking it might be better to get another day in London since we will only have the night we return back from the cruise. 

On 7/7/2023 at 3:26 PM, beyondthepalace said:

Glad I saw this thread before I posted a new one. We are taking the train from Paris to London the day before the cruise (in the morning) and was planning to go straight to Southampton but upon looking at what is there, I am thinking it might be better to get another day in London since we will only have the night we return back from the cruise. 

Altho it's not a "tourist" city, Southampton is a very acceptable and more-affordable place to spend 24 hours, in your time-scale its not possible to travel out of the city to tourist places like Salisbury / Stonehenge or Bath or Portsmouth, and Southampton doesn't hold a candle to London. 

I'm not sure what you can achieve in an afternoon and evening in London, but travel to Southampton on the morning of a sailing day is perfectly normal.

JB 🙂

• 1 month later...

Since I originally started this thread, a lot of our plans have taken on more form.  Our cruise has gotten longer--as we've added the following Norwegian Fjords World Cruise leg--another 9 nights--so, now, we are cruising 24 total nights, Southampton to Amsterdam.  We've booked our air TO LHR, arriving July 22, four days prior to embarking on the 26th in Southampton.  And, though we've yet to be able to book air home, we've booked a hotel in Amsterdam for 3 nights post-cruise...

So, since it's going to be a long, complicated trip and since we've toured a lot of the "mainland" of Southwest England in the past, we've decided to keep our pre-cruise relatively simple.  Therefore:

1)  We have booked all four pre-cruise nights at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker.  We don't want to drag luggage to and from different hotels and on and off of trains and ferries.

2)  My wife still wants to visit the Isle of Wight (I think it's the Beatles song "When I'm 64" that has her intrigued) and wants to see Osborne House (I'll have to explain to her that its NOT Ozzie and Sharon--they actually live near us--in Southern California!).

3)  We'll need to find some sort of transportation from LHR to Southampton (hopefully something reasonable and easy...National Express?)

4)  We will waste at least one full day lounging around the hotel and surrounding shopping mall recovering from the long flight and major time zone change.

5)  The extra full day in Southampton, we will likely just tour around Southampton--unless there is something simple to do nearby and worthwhile...perhaps an organized bus day tour if one exists.  Other than that, I have no great need to try to visit a lot of places and complicate things.

So, for the Isle of Wight, the passenger ferry to West Cowes, then find local transortation to Osborne House and back?  Or take the ferry to East Cowes, walk to the Osborne House and find transportation to West Cowes and return from there?  Aside from Osborne House, any "must-sees" that could be easily fit into a short one-day visit?  How best to organize the day?  Thanks.