Review Posted for 6-13 May Alaska Cruise Aboard Koningsdam

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for writing a review, and sharing it with others!"

Colorado Klutch was awarded the badge 'Excellent Advice!'

Cruise Critic just posted a review I wrote for my 6-13 May Alaska cruise aboard Koningdam. In case anyone is interested, you can find it here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=699968

I'm also happy to answer any questions and welcome any opinions or feedback about my review. Cruising is new to me and I'm still figuring all this out.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Not sure where you got the explorer cafe from.  It's actually explorations Cafe.  That's probably why people couldn't find it.  Thanks for taking time to do a review.

They couldn't find it because there's nothing similar listed on the map. And I'm sure my dad managed to ask the only crew member on the ship who didn't know what it was. 🙂 If the map had listed "Explorations Cafe'", that would have worked. Live and learn.

Now that I think about it, I actually did tell my family to meet up at the Explorations Cafe' because I looked it up online to confirm it just before we boarded. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, decrepit old man said:

You could have taken a free shuttle to the airport Marriott

Doh! You know we did actually take the Marriott Airport shuttle. My mistake. I confused that ride with another. Thank you for pointing this out. Unfortunately, I don't think I can edit the review. 

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Not to nit pick but it is on the deck plan.  Hopefully it will show properly here. It's on the right side of this picture 

Screenshot_20230522_132018_Drive.jpg

I was referring to the map by the elevators. 

IMG_2720.jpg

Edited by Colorado Klutch

I appreciate you getting a picture of Ilana. Remember, if you like the video or find it helpful, informative or enjoyable please give it a big thumbs up...

(For the record I appreciate the videos and often thumbs up them.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I was referring to the map by the elevators. 

IMG_2720.jpg

The explorers bar is a bar on 2.  Explorations cafe is a coffee place on 12. It says that under dining on the picture you posted.  Why they have it under dining is a mystery to me.  You can’t dine there unless you want a cookie or small snack item.  I can’t read the ship picture even in real life that’s why the deck plan is super helpful.  Not trying to argue but I can see why your dad got frustrated.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

Nice informative review. I will agree with you on the Navigator app! Tried it for a few days and then it quit working. I went to guest services and a nice young lady spent 20 min working on it. I think she said she reloaded the app. Anyway, it worked for a few more days and quit again. We gave up!

• Like 1

Thank you for your review. Nice to hear some positive comments about the Koningsdam for a change. I know these things are subjective, and no two ppl (or groups) have exactly the same cruise experience but there have been quite a few negative comments lately which has me worried. Our trip to Alaska on the K-dam will be our first cruise experience, and while I am pretty easygoing about things, my hubby is more of a grump. I am worried that a bad first cruise will turn him off cruising forever.  Your review gives me hope for our trip coming up in two weeks.

• Like 1

I was interested and disappointed that you did not take the inside passage northbound.  Since we will be on the same cruise shortly, I am wondering why not.  My nasty, suspicious mind says that maybe they save the cost of a pilot?  But I don't know if they need a pilot.  Maybe they want to dump some sewage in the wide open ocean which is not allowed in Canadian waters?  But I don't know if they dump sewage at all.  Going around the outside looks like a longer haul and rougher water so they would burn more gas and upset the passengers.  So what is the point and was that a one-off?

4 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

I was interested and disappointed that you did not take the inside passage northbound.  Since we will be on the same cruise shortly, I am wondering why not.  My nasty, suspicious mind says that maybe they save the cost of a pilot?  But I don't know if they need a pilot.  Maybe they want to dump some sewage in the wide open ocean which is not allowed in Canadian waters?  But I don't know if they dump sewage at all.  Going around the outside looks like a longer haul and rougher water so they would burn more gas and upset the passengers.  So what is the point and was that a one-off?

I asked in the roll call forum and someone on the May 13-20 sailing said they did go through the inside passage northbound

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeggMegg said:

Thanks for the great cruise review! Love the comments about your relatives, too!

Thanks. I wanted to include this kind of thing to reassure people that no cruise is perfect and, when traveling with family, issues are inevitable. I also think it's kinda funny. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Cruise Critic just posted a review I wrote for my 6-13 May Alaska cruise aboard Koningdam. In case anyone is interested, you can find it here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=699968

I'm also happy to answer any questions and welcome any opinions or feedback about my review. Cruising is new to me and I'm still figuring all this out.

Thanks CK, fun and informative review.  I didn't notice anything about Tracy Arm--was it bypassed?  Or maybe Endicott Arm substituted?   I'm sailing this Saturday and hope it isn't iced up.  Thanks.

7 hours ago, babelfish said:

Thanks CK, fun and informative review.  I didn't notice anything about Tracy Arm--was it bypassed?  Or maybe Endicott Arm substituted?   I'm sailing this Saturday and hope it isn't iced up.  Thanks.

The Tracy Arm excursion was not available for my cruise. I'm under the impression this was because we didn't take the Inside Passage going north, but I'm not sure. Ice could be a factor. If you were able to book it, you should be OK.

I think the Tracy Arm excursion is targeted for travelers taking the cruise only as far as Skagway and then disembarking for a Yukon-Denali tour. People doing the entire 7 days get to Glacier Bay and do not miss out on a glacier viewing experience and I suspect that is why it is not offered on all cruises.  May 9 may have been too early to start the overland tours.

Roy