Just completed my first cruise and have a couple of questions..........

Poppy6879

Hi all!!

Just arrived back from my first ever cruise and can understand why cruises are so popular!

Only regret is that I didn't go on a cruise earlier!

I have a couple of questions for the more experienced cruisers...

- As I live in Lancashire, I found that Southampton was quite a drive both ways, and involved me having extra annual leave to compensate for the travelling. 

I know Liverpool has a cruise port, but wondered what cruise lines sail from Liverpool and where do they travel to?

- My first (and only) cruise was with P&O. I mainly chose this line as tips were included. The thought of tipping crew members terrifies me!

When tips aren't included, are you expected to carry cash around with you, or does it get added onto the final bill? 

Many thanks in advance!!

Fred Olsen and Ambassador go from regional ports.  Hull and Newcastle may also be options you want to look at.

Tips - it depends on the cruise line.  All of them you can add to your onboard account.  Some though give you envelopes where you can give cash - Disney is one example of this.  Some people also just prefer to hand cash to certain people.  

Pretty much all lines will have suggested gratuities.  So you can limit anxiety and just pay what they suggest.  I tend to do that as I don't want to take anything from the invisible staff.

• Thanks 1

Have a look at cruisetimetables. com. Under the "departs from" section you'll find the UK ports. Click on a port and it will pop up a calendar with all its cruise departures. Pick a day and it will show the ship and its itinerary.  https://www.cruisetimetables.com/#depports

I've never heard of someone being terrified of tipping someone. What are you afraid of? In any event, all the lines I've sailed on have automatically added the daily gratuities for cabin and dining room staff to our on board account if they weren't already included in the cruise fare. Gratuities are automatically added to your bar bills. You aren't expected to walk around with a pocket full of cash.  But should you wish to tip someone over and above the basic gratuities, you are free to do so.

Just an fyi- there is a forum devoted to UK cruisers for subjects that are specific to the UK    https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/544-uk-cruisers/

Edited by mom says
  • Thanks 1

Simplest way to find which cruises sail from Liverpool is the cruisetimetables website linked by Mom Says.

And use it to check out cruises which start/finish in Newcastle - and in Edinburgh, Dundee and Glasgow if they're  more convenient than London & the south coast.

Port Authority websites are normally more accurate than independent websites like cruisetimetables, but most Port Authority websites, including the Liverpool one, simply lists which cruise ships are in on a given date and don't differentiate between ships starting their cruise there and ships visiting as a port-of-call. A Southampton - Southampton cruise which visits Liverpool mid-cruise isn't much good to you.

Predominant offerings of sailings from oop-north are from Fred Olsen.

I've not sailed with Fred, but have driven many cruise transfer coaches for him.

British-orientated like P & O, Fred  generally attracts an older demographic. But those that I've driven are pretty sociable and active recently-retireds, whereas most on P & O's "adults-only" ships are well into retirement.

In some respects lower standards than P & O - eg the ships are older -  but that's reflected in the prices. Fred has a very loyal following with a high proportion of repeat bookings.  See my note below on tipping.

Ambassador is a new cruise line.

Created from the ashes of Cruise & Maritime, which was a victim of the Pandemic, we've sailed with C&M on other now-retired ships, they had a friendly laid-back atmosphere, much like Fred's ships. Ambassador have just two ships and like Fred's ships both are refurbished ships from the second-hand market.  See my note below on tipping.

Older ships means few (or none) of the whistles & bells & toys of more-modern cruise ships and fewer balcony cabins. But whistles & bells & toys (more-accurately climbing walls, zip-lines, ice-rink, "golf" course, water flumes & wave machines & such) aren't what everyone wants. 

And older ships tend to have larger cabins  (I don't think there's a single cruise ship on the ocean without en-suite), more public space per passenger, no premium-pay public areas, and a proper "cruise ship" design rather than the trend toward a huge barge supporting a high-rise block of flats topped by Starship Enterprise.

Whilst both Fred and Ambassador attract Brit cruisers, rather than the tips-included policies of P&O and Marella, they've both adopted the American method of adding tips to your on-board account, albeit at less than half the rate of US ships - £5 and £6 per passenger per night rather than $12 - $16. (P&O did the same a couple of years after they were bought by the American giant Carnival Corp but dropped it after a couple of years because of the backlash from passengers).

BTW I'm as surprised as mom says that you're "terrified" by tips.

The vast vast majority of tipping questions on Cruise Critic are from North Americans wanting to be told how much tip to give in Europe to tour guides, taxi drivers, luggage handlers, cafes, restaurants, Tourist Information  staff (yes, Tourist Info staff), bell-hops & Uncle Tom Cobley. 

Altho tips aren't charged on P&O or Marella, like most passengers we've always put our hands in our pockets for our cabin steward, and for our main dining room staff if it's the same ones every evening. Debiting your on-board account with the  "auto-tip" as it's known actually makes life simpler, and no need to tip on top of that unless you want to reward some extra-special service - it's one less thing to have to think about.

Just allow for the cost of tips when comparing cruise prices.

US ships charge 15% to 18% gratuity on drinks purchases.

P&O, Fred Olsen and Marella don't, I don't know about Ambassador.

And the drinks prices (and drinks package prices) of all four are about the same as provincial pubs - that's significantly lower than every other cruise line that we've sailed.

Plenty of resources for info on the cruise lines & ships via that nice Mr Google

Happy huntin'

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@John Bull and @mom says  Is there any need to be critical about fears the OP has?  They have stated they are new to cruising, and as a Brit, tipping culture is not really engrained, especially if you live in the North. 

There is a way to reassure, and provide information whilst not gaslighting someone's feelings.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Meka3256 said:

@John Bull and @mom says  Is there any need to be critical about fears the OP has?  They have stated they are new to cruising, and as a Brit, tipping culture is not really engrained, especially if you live in the North. 

There is a way to reassure, and provide information whilst not gaslighting someone's feelings.

"Gaslighting"?

Moi ?

Hellfire I even had to google the expression 🙄

I merely echo'd the "surprise" of mom says, and I don't see how that constitutes Mr Google's definition of gaslighting.

If it does, it was unintended and I apologise to Poppy.

If it doesn't then perhaps you're guilty of gaslighting me, because you definitely hurt my feelings.😒

And you've certainly introduced an unnecessary negative vibe to the thread 😒

What say you, Poppy? 

JB 🙂

BTW, I spend time with family up north, where tipping is far from uncommon.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John Bull said:

"Gaslighting"?

Moi ?

Hellfire I even had to google the expression 🙄

I merely echo'd the "surprise" of mom says, and I don't see how that constitutes Mr Google's definition of gaslighting.

If it does, it was unintended and I apologise to Poppy.

If it doesn't then perhaps you're guilty of gaslighting me, because you definitely hurt my feelings.😒

And you've certainly introduced an unnecessary negative vibe to the thread 😒

What say you, Poppy? 

JB 🙂

BTW, I spend time with family up north, where tipping is far from uncommon.

Interesting reaction.

Gaslighting is telling someone their feelings are invalid, inaccurate, often accompanied by being critical of the fact they have them.  You being hurt as a result of my words is not gaslighting - me telling you you can't be hurt would be gaslighting.  

It was actually you and ask mom brought unnecessary negativity - the original question was basically someone saying they were feeling worried about tipping.  You can reassure that it's nothing to be worried about, without being critical aka 'surprised' that they would have these worries. 

I'm not really looking to start a 'fight' however in this case I wanted the OP (and others who may be browsing) to know that they can ask questions around things they are worrying about, and some people will answer kindly.

BTW I'm from the north, and didn't discover tipping as a consistent practice until I moved to London.  

25 minutes ago, Meka3256 said:

Interesting reaction.

Gaslighting is telling someone their feelings are invalid, inaccurate, often accompanied by being critical of the fact they have them.  You being hurt as a result of my words is not gaslighting - me telling you you can't be hurt would be gaslighting.  

It was actually you and ask mom brought unnecessary negativity - the original question was basically someone saying they were feeling worried about tipping.  You can reassure that it's nothing to be worried about, without being critical aka 'surprised' that they would have these worries. 

I'm not really looking to start a 'fight' however in this case I wanted the OP (and others who may be browsing) to know that they can ask questions around things they are worrying about, and some people will answer kindly.

BTW I'm from the north, and didn't discover tipping as a consistent practice until I moved to London.  

No, Poppy didn't say they were worried about tipping - they said they were terrified by it.

Hence the surprise expressed by mom says and myself, I don't see that as negativity.

Nor do I see it as gaslighting, but I won't argue with the expert. 

Saddened by your posts, saddened that you think of mom says and I as unkindly, saddened that you have so quickly and so unnecessarily brought grief to a thread started by a new member.

No more from me on the subject.

JB 😒

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think we all know it is entirely common and understandable to be uncomfortable with something that is new, unusual, or outside on one's cultural experience. 

Accusations of gaslighting surprised me.   I can't speak for @Poppy6879, but would not have been offended by any of the otherwise helpful comments.  

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

You have all been most helpful with some great links!

I admit, maybe terrified was a bit over the top of an expression to use, but I genuinely  thought I would be expected to carry around a wad of notes and tip every waiter / waitress, housekeeper etc etc...

And was concerned about how much to tip! I get the 10 /15% on top of a meal out, but would not know was an acceptable amount!

On a positive note, I definitely have the bug - have booked 7 nights next May with MSC Ventura and 14 nights next November with P & O Iona - Only wish I could slip in another cruise before!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poppy6879 said:

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

You have all been most helpful with some great links!

I admit, maybe terrified was a bit over the top of an expression to use, but I genuinely  thought I would be expected to carry around a wad of notes and tip every waiter / waitress, housekeeper etc etc...

And was concerned about how much to tip! I get the 10 /15% on top of a meal out, but would not know was an acceptable amount!

On a positive note, I definitely have the bug - have booked 7 nights next May with MSC Ventura and 14 nights next November with P & O Iona - Only wish I could slip in another cruise before!!!!

I get it.  I'm in a tipping culture and completely comfortable.  I can see how it would be daunting to someone who wants to adhere but is not used to it.  And, truth be told, I think our (American) tipping expectations are getting out of hand.   I'm kind of getting tired of it.   

Hi Poppy, it’s great to know that you enjoyed your first cruise so much and good that you want to explore other options.

I have just a couple of things to add to the replies that you have had already.
The cruisetimetables website is of use to show you cruise ships that dock in a port like Liverpool but don’t necessarily show that you can start your cruise from there.

I have cruised several times with Fred Olsen cruise line which has at least one cruise ship that regularly begins cruises in Liverpool. We live in Stoke-on-Trent and find embarking in Liverpool very easy and convenient….I hate that trek down to Southampton and hate it even more coming home 🤣 but do it if the itinerary is interesting.

You don’t give a clue to your age but if you are a more mature lady then

I definitely recommend investigating Fred Olsen because their ships cater very well for people who are happy not to have the ‘whistles and bells’ of the huge, new ships. We have sailed on Iona and other large Princess and Celebrity ships and enjoyed the cruises despite feeling that the product is becoming geared towards a much younger crowd.

We like cruising with Fred because we prefer the more gentle pace, less crowds, shows that have music that we recognise from the 70s, 80s and 90s, interesting and informative lectures and, because the ships are smaller, they can access different small ports so provide more unusual itineraries.

FO doesn’t include gratuities in their cruise fare but it is automatically added to your cruise account so there is no obligation to give tips to individual crew members. 
Liverpool port

IMG_2479.thumb.jpeg.5c0781d4819451da347e7fb732904079.jpeg

Happy cruising!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say how different things are in different parts of the world and I love it.. When you were talking about the driving distance I had to go look and see exactly how far it was.. As being in the states, I have no clue where stuff is in the UK..   So when I saw the distance, I kinda chuckled to myself about that just being a good afternoon drive lol..    I get it though, but just thought it was funny (at least to me 🙂 )  Glad you had a great time!

Distance:  I've often heard it said that an American thinks 200 years is a long time, while a Brit thinks 200 miles is a long distance.  

But, seriously, I don't know your geography well enough to make specific comments, but here are a few thoughts about traveling to your cruise port: 

- Investigate what ships sail out of what ports.  Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

- Consider doing a longer cruise or two back-to-back cruises.  This increases the fun-to-drugery ratio.  

Tips:  If you're not used to tipping, I can see why it's intimidating, but you can dismiss fear /terror through information.  Check your specific cruise line -- make a phone call, if necessary -- and ask the expectations.  Generally, you're expected to tip at the end of the cruise /not willy-nilly at every meal or every time you get a drink.  I agree that paying tips up front is just easier.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 6:08 PM, Poppy6879 said:

Hopefully just a typo.........

Yes, Iona is a P&O ship.

But so is Ventura - I'll hazard a guess that you meant MSC Virtuosa.

MSC has the youngest, smartest and most stylish fleet in the business - Virtuosa will absolutely wow you 🙂

But being Italian there are a few differences, we've only sailed with them in the Med & the Caribbean so some of these might not apply out of Southampton..........

- dinner tends to be more leisurely, relies a lot on pasta, you might have to ask for a jug of ship's water (free, and totally drinkable) and no coffee automatically served at the end

- because passengers are mixed nationalities entertainment tends to be song & dance - no comedians etc

- and for the same reason, announcements tend to be in multiple languages, which can get a bit wearing.

- multiple nationalities also means you won't be able to chat with a proportion of other passengers, altho out of Southampton a large proportion will be Brits. And language isn't a big problem when dealing with the crew - English is the world's second language.

- drinks prices will be higher than on P&O and a service charge (15%?) is added to the listed prices. Do work out whether a drinks package is worthwhile for you

- if they're not included in your cruise ticket price (you'll already know if they are, cos cruise lines make a point of that in their advertising), daily gratuities for cabin steward plus dining staff are €12 per passenger per night, and that does add up to a fair amount. No need for extra tips on top. 

It'll be interesting to compare your MSC experience against P&O - there'll be pros & cons.

Happy sailings

JB 🙂

• Like 1