Passport required for certain ports

I was just informed that a passport is required to go to Martinique and Barbados. 

Does anyone know if you are on a closed loop cruise and are not planning on getting off the ship in those ports are you not able to sail without a passport?

1 minute ago, karen1821 said:

I was just informed that a passport is required to go to Martinique and Barbados. 

Does anyone know if you are on a closed loop cruise and are not planning on getting off the ship in those ports are you not able to sail without a passport?

If you are leaving from and returning to the same U.S. port, you are not required to have a passport.  But I would never travel without one.  

This only applies if you are a U.S. citizen.  Rules are different for others.

(Columbia requires one, but you didn't mention that)

My boyfriend just turned 80 and won't fly. He refuses to get a passport being 80. I am doing a 12 night out of Baltimore to southern caribbean and would love for him to go but my TA said he needs a passport because we stop in Barbados. Never heard of this before

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

If you are leaving from and returning to the same U.S. port, you are not required to have a passport.  But I would never travel without one.  

This only applies if you are a U.S. citizen.  Rules are different for others.

(Columbia requires one, but you didn't mention that)

4 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

If you are leaving from and returning to the same U.S. port, you are not required to have a passport. 

You need a passport to go ashore in Martinique - the oddball of the Carribean.

Just now, karen1821 said:

I am doing a 12 night out of Baltimore to southern caribbean and would love for him to go but my TA said he needs a passport because we stop in Barbados. Never heard of this before

It's not Barbados, but Martinique which needs it. RCI very rarely goes there.

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It's not Barbados, but Martinique which needs it. RCI very rarely goes there.

Interesting that RC does not list that on its website, since they specifically mention Columbia.

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Interesting that RC does not list that on its website, since they specifically mention Columbia.

The diff may be that they might let you on the ship without one for Martinique but you can't go ashore. I don't recall RCI going there recently.

Just now, Biker19 said:

The diff may be that they might let you on the ship without one for Martinique but you can't go ashore. I don't recall RCI going there recently.

Recent, not sure what that even means any more.  😄 

I have been there several times, all on RC cruises.

4 hours ago, karen1821 said:

My boyfriend just turned 80 and won't fly. He refuses to get a passport being 80. I am doing a 12 night out of Baltimore to southern caribbean and would love for him to go but my TA said he needs a passport because we stop in Barbados. Never heard of this before

Your TA is mistaken

• Thanks 1

When we were on a cruise to Columbia and it required a passport, Royal would not let you board unless you had one.  I'd suggest you read the letter they sent you carefully.  Ours spelled it out.  Not sure about Barbados.

• Thanks 1

I would make sure they will even let you board.  I'm not sure they would want to be policing who can leave the ship and where and when.  And if someone did make it past the goalie they're stuck with a potential mess.....

37 minutes ago, luvbrady said:

I would make sure they will even let you board.  I'm not sure they would want to be policing who can leave the ship and where and when.  And if someone did make it past the goalie they're stuck with a potential mess.....

Yes but unfortunately Royal Caribbean in my opinion has the least informative document information online of all the cruise lines and if you call them their reps they can’t be trusted to give accurate information on documents. I feel sorry for OP but really her boyfriend could easily solve the issue by not being stubborn and getting a passport. Also does she really want to travel with an 80 year old without a passport who at that age is at increased risk of an emergency? Whether Martinique is on the itinerary or not he should have a passport. My subjective advice is that she should go and not have him come without a passport. 

If they want to go ahead and the policy is that he can’t get off the ship will police that. His card will ping and security will stop him. If he can’t board then he can go home and she can stay. Home seems to be York PA which is about an hour from Baltimore. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 4

The country Colombia is spelled with an O.  Lots of city Columbias are spelled with U.  Columbia, MD and Columbia, SC and then there's District of Columbia.  I don't think anyone cruises to these places.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, karen1821 said:

Just an FYI.  When you are in the port, you are in the country.  Does not matter if on the ship, jumping into the water, and going on land, you are in the country.  So, if a passport is needed, either change the cruise, or get one fast

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1