Mexican cruise with felony record

veryboredcruiser

hi, i have been checking to see if i can go on a cruise that starts/ends in USA having one or more stops in Mexico.

i am an American citizen with a white collar felony record (less than 5 years ago) for several government contracts gone bad. it was a plead deal with only a fine.

my primary goal is to accompany my elderly mom who is addicted to cruising, so i do not even need to get off the boat.

questions

1. what does Mexican authorities do if someone on the boat has a criminal record?

2. anyone can recommend a good attorney with expertise for Mexican cruises.

3. does Mexican immigration review criminal records before the ship departs USA to prevent a bad scenario (being led away in handcuffs? etc)

thank you.

This link may help answer your questions:

https://www.touristcardmx.com/news/travel-mexico-criminal-record#:~:text=Mexican immigration authorities may refuse,Could compromise national security

Since you show a LA location, you might want to simply call or visit the local Mexican Consulate and ask the question.  

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

This link may help answer your questions:

https://www.touristcardmx.com/news/travel-mexico-criminal-record#:~:text=Mexican immigration authorities may refuse,Could compromise national security

Since you show a LA location, you might want to simply call or visit the local Mexican Consulate and ask the question.  

Hank

thank you.

i tried calling the consulate but could not get through.

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike Canada, Mexico and the US don't share criminal records.  They will not know and won't be able to find out.  If you have a US passport you will "don't ask, don't tell."  If you don't have a passport it will be even less likely you will have an issue.  If you're that concerned just don't get off the ship.  Enjoy your cruise with your mom.  

• Like 2

On 6/5/2023 at 4:29 AM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Unlike Canada, Mexico and the US don't share criminal records.  They will not know and won't be able to find out.  If you have a US passport you will "don't ask, don't tell."  If you don't have a passport it will be even less likely you will have an issue.  If you're that concerned just don't get off the ship.  Enjoy your cruise with your mom.  

thank you. Canada does a check before the ship even leaves the us port. sounds like mexico does not even do that?

the good thing about the Canada situation is that i can file a form and pay some money to get officially approved to visit... i guess Mexico does not have such a process.

thanks

Edited by veryboredcruiser
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, veryboredcruiser said:

thank you. Canada does a check before the ship even leaves the us port. sounds like mexico does not even do that?

the good thing about the Canada situation is that i can file a form and pay some money to get officially approved to visit... i guess Mexico does not have such a process.

thanks

What form is it that you file for Canada as this question/situation is asked often on these boards.

On 6/6/2023 at 11:05 AM, veryboredcruiser said:

Canada does a check before the ship even leaves the us port

Canada doesn't get the manifest before the ship leaves port. The manifest is submitted 96 hours before scheduled arrival in Canada or when the vessel departs its last foreign port before arriving in Canada.

On 6/6/2023 at 3:27 PM, Ashland said:

What form is it that you file for Canada as this question/situation is asked often on these boards.

10 hours ago, veryboredcruiser said:

temporary resident permit 

36 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You would use this form for a port stop ??

AFAIK a vacation trip isn't a compelling reason for issuance of a temporary resident permit. Typically they're issued for work or emergency reasons.

Beyond that, regardless of the reason for travel to Canada there's no guarantee that a TRP will be granted upon making application for the permit.

Edited by njhorseman

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

AFAIK a vacation trip isn't a compelling reason for issuance of a temporary resident permit. Typically they're issued for work or emergency reasons.

Beyond that, regardless of the reason for travel to Canada there's no guarantee that a TRP will be granted upon making application for the permit.

Of course I know that and why I asked the question of the poster. 

On 6/8/2023 at 9:27 AM, Ashland said:

i called two law firms, both of which said they have nearly 100% chance of success for getting TRPs for cruises and other reasons.

in my case, i also have a valid business reason for visiting canada multiple times a year.

so i may not even have to pay these law firms ~$2k and just pay the ~$200 TRP filing fee.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 9:27 AM, Ashland said:

here is a little more info. the 2 law firms were very eager to do it, and even said that they can do the paperwork and submit it to the cruise port to get approval on the spot. 

this seems to be some type of boondoggle that helps canadian law firms get business.

they basically said that they know how to fill in the form so that the government accept the application for cruise reasons.

may be the government will cooperate if a law firm is involved, though i am not sure where the law firm's name goes in the form.

anyway, i am very skeptical but i will doing everything to cover my butt before moving forward.

being careless not covering butt is what got me the felony in the first place, never again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 12:05 PM, njhorseman said:

Canada doesn't get the manifest before the ship leaves port. The manifest is submitted 96 hours before scheduled arrival in Canada or when the vessel departs its last foreign port before arriving in Canada.

So are you saying, for example, on an Alaska cruise to and from Seattle, Canada might ask Princess or Carnival to not let someone off the ship? The last time we stopped in Victoria, I think it was like a 6 hour port stop; so hardly worth even getting off the ship. I think I got off, got a Tim Horton's and got back on.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

So are you saying, for example, on an Alaska cruise to and from Seattle, Canada might ask Princess or Carnival to not let someone off the ship? The last time we stopped in Victoria, I think it was like a 6 hour port stop; so hardly worth even getting off the ship. I think I got off, got a Tim Horton's and got back on.

Yes, Canada will tell the cruise line to prohibit the passenger from disembarking .

• Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Unlike Canada, Mexico and the US don't share criminal records

What a shock!  

On 6/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

They will not know and won't be able to find out

As you know, the Mexicans rarely inspect anyone crossing the border into Mexico by car.  I wonder if the Mexican cameras are good enough to perform IDs when going through the gate.  I am sure they can read the license plates at least.

Crossing south into Mexico is like no other land border I have ever experienced.  I guess the same holds true for coming north.

13 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Crossing south into Mexico is like no other land border I have ever experienced.  I guess the same holds true for coming north.

Coming north into the US you will get scanned plenty.  There's license plate readers, facial recognition, and your name will be entered at the CBP booth either manually or RFID before you even reach the booth.  Going into MX at San Ysidro CBP does have southbound booths and plate scanners, I assume facial recognition.  I have never seen the booths staffed in the last five years, but have heard from others they do periodically.  Coming north into the US at San Ysidro it can take hours in line if you don't have Global Entry.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Coming north into the US at San Ysidro it can take hours in line if you don't have Global Entry

That's why our household policy is to have people without SENTRI or Global Entry passes cross by foot at Otay Mesa.  Waiting in the normal or Ready Lanes is just crazy.  My wife actually knows someone who wears a diaper when crossing by car at peak times.

BTW - how long do you think it will take to fix the landslide on the road into Playas?  At least the first toll  into Rosarito is being waved for the time being...

16 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

BTW - how long do you think it will take to fix the landslide on the road into Playas?  At least the first toll  into Rosarito is being waved for the time being...

They are working hard on it.  I would guess another 4-5 months.  It's not really slowed us down much going either way if you avoid the normal commute times.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

They are working hard on it.  I would guess another 4-5 months.  It's not really slowed us down much going either way if you avoid the normal commute times.  

Our use of the road is more clustered around the weekend so we have seen a couple of big backups.  

15 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Our use of the road is more clustered around the weekend so we have seen a couple of big backups.  

Depending on how far south you go you could cross Otay and take the Blvd 2000.  We have done it a few times, but overall doesn't save us any time.  We never cross on the weekends unless it's the opposite commute direction or we go early.  As you probably know hitting the border S/B any day after 1500 hrs is a mess.      

10 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Depending on how far south you go you could cross Otay and take the Blvd 2000.  We have done it a few times, but overall doesn't save us any time.  We never cross on the weekends unless it's the opposite commute direction or we go early.  As you probably know hitting the border S/B any day after 1500 hrs is a mess.      

I have done Blvd 2000 a few times but I don't really like it.  I have also found the SENTRI lane in Otay to be slower than San Ysidro at times and rarely significantly faster.  I use Otay when I need to go to the airport and in the situation where we are helping someone cross that doesn't have SENTRI lane access.  Even then, we pick crossing times carefully to avoid the pedestrian line backup.

Enjoy your summer!  Finally the weather is getting nice.