BTimmer's Almost Live First Princess Cruise (6/1-13/23) on the Regal Princess

Btimmer

1 hour ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

@Jiminy1955  When traveling in Europe -- we used a Credit Card that had NO Foreign Transaction Fee.  You'll want to look into that as having a Foreign Transaction fee on each purchase can get pricey.  Also we did use ATMs for acquiring our foreign currency.  While our Bank did have a Foreign Transaction Fee for ATM -- we were able to pull enough currency via one-time ATM transaction.  The exchange rate via ATM was better than using a Currency Exchange facility at airports.

Thank you for that information. I will definitely look into that credit card. I just read about the transaction fees from ATM's and that it's best to use the ones at a bank. 

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

In Canada we also have tap and go technology and have had for years.  Nobody uses cash here unless absolutely necessary.  We love travelling to the UK and Europe because it’s just like home.  The USA needs to catch up!

Interesting, I’m in the US and use tab and go or Apple Pay.  I never seem to have cash.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Interesting, I’m in the US and use tab and go or Apple Pay.  I never seem to have cash.

I was thinking the same thing. I rarely carry cash and use my bank card for everything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jiminy1955 said:

I was thinking the same thing. I rarely carry cash and use my bank card for everything.

I was reading this from an American CC member on post #118.  We rarely visit the US, so I just assumed that you used the same technology.  Very interesting, thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiminy1955 said:

I bring along cash for tips but tend to use cards for everything else when traveling. If you have time before you leave you can order the currency you need from your bank.

43 minutes ago, kttraveler said:

I bring along cash for tips but tend to use cards for everything else when traveling. If you have time before you leave you can order the currency you need from your bank.

Great idea! I will definitely order from my bank.  

2 minutes ago, Jiminy1955 said:

Great idea! I will definitely order from my bank.  

Remember also that tipping is not so much the culture in Europe. In restaurants in France, tax and “service” is included in the price posted outside and on the menu. We had wonderful service everywhere and the only time we saw an extra line on the bill for a tip was in a restaurant in Paris that catered to a lot of tourists. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Remember also that tipping is not so much the culture in Europe. In restaurants in France, tax and “service” is included in the price posted outside and on the menu. We had wonderful service everywhere and the only time we saw an extra line on the bill for a tip was in a restaurant in Paris that catered to a lot of tourists. 

I was thinking more about drivers and tour guides for tipping. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sunviking90 said:

Good to know thanks,

7 hours ago, Jiminy1955 said:

You’re tapping your BANK card..in EU/UK they are beyond that..they’re using Apple Pay/Samsung pay. No physical card needed.

7 hours ago, Btimmer said:

We just enjoyed a wonderful private excursion out of Greenock with Sixstar Coach Tours, Ltd.  David, an owner, guided 7 of us to the Stirling Castle,  Duone Castle, the hairy coos (highland cattle), and Loch Loman. He's witty and conscientious.  They service Greenock, Glasgow, and Edinburgh. Contact them at info@sixstarcoachtoursltd.com for further information.

Looks wonderful!  I sure hope we get to see a "hairy coo", very interesting looking creatures.

• Like 1

As a polite public service announcement, could we please take further discussion of bank cards, currency, and the like to a new thread unless it directly relates to my current cruise report.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, dides said:

Hey Tim, I understand Sophie Gideon has just joined the Regal as her next contract. Do you know if she will be the next CD?

I don't know and am not familiar with the Princess CD's.  I'll ask Allie when I see her.

I do know that Allie is leaving the ship after this cruise for her holiday until sometime in August.  Yesterday was her 28th birthday and there was a whole lot of recognition of that around the ship.  We really like her as a CD and hostess of the Wake show.

11 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

I don't know and am not familiar with the Princess CD's.  I'll ask Allie when I see her.

I do know that Allie is leaving the ship after this cruise for her holiday until sometime in August.  Yesterday was her 28th birthday and there was a whole lot of recognition of that around the ship.  We really like her as a CD and hostess of the Wake show.

Thanks, Sophie was promoted to CD before she joined Diamond Princess at the end of last year so is probably doing shadowing/handover before Allie leaves.

8 hours ago, Btimmer said:

As a polite public service announcement, could we please take further discussion of bank cards, currency, and the like to a new thread unless it directly relates to my current cruise report.

Oh just read this.  Sorry Btimmer.  Yes will do so.  My apologies.

We just did our last tender port at Queensferrry (gateway to Edinburgh).  I highly recommend the bus shuttle into town combo with the HOHO bus.  It's £27/pp including the return shuttle to the tender platform.  The shuttle stop in town is right in the heart of action at St.Andrews square.  The green line has a live commentator while the red line has pre-recorded multi language commentary.

if you read my blog entry for today, I'll be honest about Princess' tender process. It'll be a few hours before I post it.  It's dinner time and that takes priority.  We gave a sea day tomorrow and Le Havre the next day.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Btimmer said:

We just did our last tender port at Queensferrry (gateway to Edinburgh).  I highly recommend the bus shuttle into town combo with the HOHO bus.  It's £27/pp including the return shuttle to the tender platform.  The shuttle stop in town is right in the heart of action at St.Andrews square.  The green line has a live commentator while the red line has pre-recorded multi language commentary.

if you read my blog entry for today, I'll be honest about Princess' tender process. It'll be a few hours before I post it.  It's dinner time and that takes priority.  We gave a sea day tomorrow and Le Havre the next day.

Is is a Princess shuttle into town?  Is it from the tender dock?

8 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Did you post a link to your blog on this thread?  I would like to read it if possible.

4 hours ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Is is a Princess shuttle into town?  Is it from the tender dock?

Yes, it's from the tender dock. I wouldn't call it a Princess shuttle in that you can't charge the cost to your room, but it is the local bus company and recommended by Princess.  One can take the train into town, but one must hike up a hill to the station and get a ticket to the Waverley station. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2023 at 9:42 AM, Btimmer said:

IMG_3745.thumb.jpeg.cbfe24e55b961740d78f2ac6d1e69bc5.jpeg

IMG_3754.thumb.jpeg.d4059054d6f8a4e499116f859aa97996.jpeg
We just enjoyed a wonderful private excursion out of Greenock with Sixstar Coach Tours, Ltd.  David, an owner, guided 7 of us to the Stirling Castle,  Duone Castle, the hairy coos (highland cattle), and Loch Loman. He's witty and conscientious.  They service Greenock, Glasgow, and Edinburgh. Contact them at info@sixstarcoachtoursltd.com for further information.

IMG_3753.jpeg

• Like 1